Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Why is there a Molex connector next to the 20 pin main connector? As for that Ram, I have it too - did you know that they are designed here in Montreal - actually Brossard, on the South Shore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post
It is used to help power cards in an SLI/CF config through the PCI slots. Recommended, but not nessecary.
Yep. I don't expect to use it in this system, at least not with that PSU trying to run SLI. MapleStory is a 2D scrolling game, I've tried a number of times to get her into something more 3D, even offered her my WoW account. But all her friends are there, and she likes the cute 2D art more. So I really doubt it'll need dual vid cards before she needs more CPU horsepower.

And yes, I did know Shikatronics was a Canadian company, somewheres back east. That is partially what attracted me to that RAM. It isn't optimal on an AMD system because those ICs have fairly high latency when running 250mhz and up, they are more suited to older Intel systems which may allow you to run cpu and ram at 1:1. They are able to run at very low voltages though, and tighten up to 2-3-3-6 and 2-3-2-6 at 200mhz. Back in their day, they were incredibly expensive, $200+ or nearly $300 for a 2 x 256MB kit. There were several kits that came up on NCIX's eBay store (new and unopened/sealed), and I won two of the auctions at very low prices (iirc under $30 or just over $30 after shippping and taxes). The heatspreaders are very heavy, solid copper, yet this ram doesn't even warm up. They aren't very well matched pairs, and were probably binned only for their rated speeds and timings, one of the sticks is able to run 2-2-2-5 at 200mhz, but none of the other three. Also, a couple of them can go way faster than the other two. However, they gave me very little trouble when setting up and testing them as 4 x 256 at 2T. The few times I pushed them too far and couldn't post, I avoided a cmos clear by removing one pair and then the system would boot and let me make adjustments.

I ended up picking up a few more 2 x 256MB kits of other ram, so I wouldn't have to split the 4x Shika up in the situation of a build that didn't need a gig of ram yet needed dual channel. These other kits are even better ram, very nice CH-5 and TCCD, yet I never got another 4x of the same stuff. Going by my failing memory, I think I still have a few Mushkin (Blacks, Level 1 and Level 2 and some TCCD), and some GeIL TCCD.

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's
Old April 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithotech View Post
Yep. I don't expect to use it in this system, at least not with that PSU trying to run SLI. MapleStory is a 2D scrolling game, I've tried a number of times to get her into something more 3D, even offered her my WoW account. But all her friends are there, and she likes the cute 2D art more. So I really doubt it'll need dual vid cards before she needs more CPU horsepower.

And yes, I did know Shikatronics was a Canadian company, somewheres back east. That is partially what attracted me to that RAM. It isn't optimal on an AMD system because those ICs have fairly high latency when running 250mhz and up, they are more suited to older Intel systems which may allow you to run cpu and ram at 1:1. They are able to run at very low voltages though, and tighten up to 2-3-3-6 and 2-3-2-6 at 200mhz. Back in their day, they were incredibly expensive, $200+ or nearly $300 for a 2 x 256MB kit. There were several kits that came up on NCIX's eBay store (new and unopened/sealed), and I won two of the auctions at very low prices (iirc under $30 or just over $30 after shippping and taxes). The heatspreaders are very heavy, solid copper, yet this ram doesn't even warm up. They aren't very well matched pairs, and were probably binned only for their rated speeds and timings, one of the sticks is able to run 2-2-2-5 at 200mhz, but none of the other three. Also, a couple of them can go way faster than the other two. However, they gave me very little trouble when setting up and testing them as 4 x 256 at 2T. The few times I pushed them too far and couldn't post, I avoided a cmos clear by removing one pair and then the system would boot and let me make adjustments.

I ended up picking up a few more 2 x 256MB kits of other ram, so I wouldn't have to split the 4x Shika up in the situation of a build that didn't need a gig of ram yet needed dual channel. These other kits are even better ram, very nice CH-5 and TCCD, yet I never got another 4x of the same stuff. Going by my failing memory, I think I still have a few Mushkin (Blacks, Level 1 and Level 2 and some TCCD), and some GeIL TCCD.

We may have fought between each other since I too bought a set of ShikaXram from the NCIX ebay store. If I remember correctly, they were PC4000 2x256Mb.

Great set.
Old April 1, 2008, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

this is my case

on the left is my gf's pc and btw we have changed her case for the antec p182 to replace that asus case. it was falling appart. the pc in the middle beside my gf's pc is my server and on the far right it is my pc.
Old April 1, 2008, 04:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

Gotta love all those wires

Though if you had a way to clean those up, that would look really nice. Maybe try hiding them under the baseboard? (If you destroy your house, its not my fault).
Old April 1, 2008, 04:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Why do I see 2 routers? Or is one a router, and one a switch?

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old April 1, 2008, 06:31 PM
Top Prospect

actually it is the best capable management i can do... you can see the cables are infact rooted behind the mobo, there is so much wires behind it and i cannot put more. i have cut few holes in the mobo plate to root the wires. the antec 900 isnt cable management freindly, trust me on this. the airflow is perfect and no fans are blocked from wires. so for the rest it would be for esthetics and i dont realy bother for it.

it is a rooter and switch, they both look alike. but 2 days ago i have changed the rooter for the d-link dgl-4300 because i needed gigabit speed
Old April 1, 2008, 07:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

By cable management, I was talking about around the cases on the floor. Inside the cases look great.
Old April 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
By cable management, I was talking about around the cases on the floor. Inside the cases look great.

yea well this desk setup is 1week old realy and i was kinda in a rush to assemble the desks. i planned on cleaning the wires but when? i dunno, im very busy these days. thats the problem when u use fancy shelves for a desk, it doesnt hide the wires. i dont think im gonna hide them behind the baseboard because it is an appartment (not my house), and i would have to root the wires in the wall... . i will probably just tie them up a little bit, but not to much because often customers come here and i need to plug their pc's in and if i tie them all up it gonna be an hassle. anyways it bothers you... not me . geeze i cant wait to have my house

btw thx for saying that the inside of my pc looks great. i wish i could do better but after 3 attempts this is the best i can do.
Old April 2, 2008, 12:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post

yea well this desk setup is 1week old realy and i was kinda in a rush to assemble the desks. i planned on cleaning the wires but when? i dunno, im very busy these days. thats the problem when u use fancy shelves for a desk, it doesnt hide the wires. i dont think im gonna hide them behind the baseboard because it is an appartment (not my house), and i would have to root the wires in the wall... . i will probably just tie them up a little bit, but not to much because often customers come here and i need to plug their pc's in and if i tie them all up it gonna be an hassle. anyways it bothers you... not me . geeze i cant wait to have my house

btw thx for saying that the inside of my pc looks great. i wish i could do better but after 3 attempts this is the best i can do.
I like the setup! It'd be nice if the shelf was deeper, but that's just me (used to big desks and big CRTs).

For wiring on the floor that is visible, there is a trick I use occasionally that sometimes works awesome, and doesn't cost more than a few dollars.

Go to Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Revy and pick up 6 or so of these foam insulator tubes for copper water pipe:

You can use it as conduit!

They come in different outside diameters and even fewer colors, and the inside diameter is hard to find bigger than the standard ~3/4".

They cost just under or just over a dollar a piece.

They are split on one side, and it's easy to suff cable into them. Or
you can cut them in half by slitting the other side with a sharp razor knife, and then just use half the tube up against a wall, moulding, or desk. I sometimes ziptie them, but it is still easy to pull one wire out that connects to something before the end of the tube.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find longer lengths, they are always about 6 feet. But when you have cable inside, two lengths butt up nicely to each other. It would be nice if they made 12 foot lengths.

So in your situation, I'd mount that power bar under the desk like the routers, but up against the wall. Then route all nearby cables that have to travel vertically up to the desk and power bar, in a half-foam tube that runs up the wall to the shelf brace. From their, run the KB/mouse along the wall under the shelf (out of sight) to where they come up right where the LCD is. Run the LCD cable the same way, and the rest is power to the power bar.

I like to leave ALL slack at the computer, this allows pulling the system out from under the desk/shelf with it still all connected and even running. Then ziptie the cables coming out of the computer at ~8" length, before the neatly disappear into the foam tube as a single bundle. This also keeps the cables from getting tangled when you do disconnect them. Stuff is worse than fishing line sometimes lol! More often than not, there isn't enough slack on the mouse and/or keyboard, so I route them separately -- don't ziptie them to any of the other wires, but they can still go in the foam conduit -- leaving enough slack to move the keyboard in case of a drink spilling, and enough slack to comfortably move the mouse without it's wire causing any resistance.

You can also pick up some plastic wire clips that stickytape underneath desks, using them to hold cables that are routing outside the foam tube or to perfect the mouse cable tension. They aren't so cheap, but still worth $5 or so for a pack.

Another thing I've done for cable bundles that are too thick for this foam, is use velcro cable ties and a roll of stickytape velcro. Stick a 6-12" stip to the underside of the desk, bundle the cable with a velco tie, then fasten the tie to the velcro strip.

/edit: something else I noticed... wondering if you have air conditioning? If not, you have that Antec 900 exhausting into your legs. The other two computers are backed up into the wall, which is great for hiding the rats nest but with some cases you can end up sucking hot exhaust air back into the case in a viscious circle that'll cook the insides. Pull em out another six inches and they be fine for sure -- 8-12 inches total space behind is all that's needed to eliminate the possibility. I also plug any entry holes or vents in the back of the case. Heh, it's worse if the case is backed into a corner so that one side is abutting a wall (or both sides in some desk's slots for computers). Your setup is very open air, so it may not be an issue at all, but it's a good idea to check. If it's cooking, the exhaust air (out of the PSU especially) will be very warm.

There's a printer to the far left, I am thinking that if all the computers sat to the left of the user, you'd only have the Antec 900 blowing on your GF, and it prolly runs cool enough to be even comfy. The sub woof go to the right, basically swapping spots with the cases.

Or, put the Antec 900 on top of the left shelf, all the way to the left end. It's display to the right of it, sort of where the phone is. That lets to see the system at any time, protects it from being kicked and scuffed, and points the exhaust away from both of you. The other two computers shift to the right just a bit, under the left side of the right shelf. Swapping seats with your GF basically, put gets the new system off the floor. The keyboard tray will need to move to the right though, unless it's easier to swap the shelves with the computers?

boot: 4x WD Caviar SE16 250gb SATA2 Raid-0
backup: Seagate 500gb 32mb SATA2
eye: eVGA 9800GTX+ SC 512mb 770/2.25ghz
candy: Samsung 940B-HAS | X-Fi XMusic | Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
juice: PC Power & Cooling 750Quad | Cooler Master HAF932
steering: Logitech G15 & G5 | E3D Pro/Momo Wheel | X-530's

Last edited by Lithotech; April 2, 2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Fixing stuffs!
Old April 2, 2008, 04:51 PM
Top Prospect

thx for the suggestion. i never thought about it that way with foam tubes and all. i will look into it

Tags
case , custom , gallery , image thread