Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2008, 11:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default CM Stacker Mod

Well I have officially started my new case mod. I picked up a metal jigsaw blade and a XPR 400 Dremel + 70 accessories + a set of extra cutting wheels. My plan is fairly complex so I'll explain with some pictures, and paint!

I've had my case set up so that the motherboard tray is inverted (that way I can take the side off and get inside without my desk being in the way, and when I have a window, it will be visible). So here is what the case would look like:

Next, I'm going to use a piece of A.C. Ryan brushed aluminum to cover the motherboard tray, and the space above and blow it so it would look like this:

Now, you'll probably notice that I've covered up all of the motherboard mounting holes. I'll drill out all of the spaces wide enough for the regular spacers. This will make the inside have the same style as the outside, and will have a much more finished look instead of the plain grey.

The next step is to cut out holes for where the cables will come out from behind the motherboard tray, as well as how they will get in.

Red = motherboard
black = hole

My Swiftech MCR320 will be mounted with 6 Yate Loon D12SL-12's set up in push/pull on the bottom of the case. I'm going to have them as exaust because my cat sheds so much so barely any of the fur will get into the rad.

I'm also going to have my MCP655-B in the front drive bays so it can't be seen. And there will be an EK resevoir mounted between the drive bays and the motherboard.

And of course, with all this beatifiaction going on inside, there must be a way to show it off! So I shall cut a window in the side panel.

I'm using pretty much everything from my current PC, but the specs are here anyways:

CPU: X3350 (Xeon equivilent of the Q9450)
Mobo: DFI X38-T2R
Ram: Corsair Dominators PC2-8500 2GBx2 (this is the only part that is changing)
GPU: 8800GTX (which I'll hopefully upgrade to a 4870, or a 4870X2 in a few months)
PSU: PCP&C 750W Silencer
Sound Card: Ht Omega Claro

The cooling specs:
CPU block: D-Tek V2 + Quad plate (upgrading from my V1)
GPU block: MCW60 + D-tek Unisink
NB block: EK
-NB/SB 5
Res: EK RES 150 with the anti-cyclone thing
Pump: MCP655-B
Rad: MCR320 + 6 Yate Loon D12SL-12's (connected to my Sunbeam fan controller, which I'm going to mod so it has no LEDs as they are just too damn bright!)
Tubing: Swiftech ID: 7/16"
Ram: Corsair RAM fan
And the southbridge heatsink will be replaced with the solid copper Enzotech heatsink as the stock heatsink interferes with a GPU being placed in the 2nd PCIe

As well as Feser Green UV dye and 2 12" UV CCFLs to make it all glow.

I'm looking forward to being able to get this started, but it will be a while before my order from Performance-PCs arrives. My NCIX order should be here soon as it is already ready for shipping according to the website. Looking forward to adding more updates!
Old June 27, 2008, 08:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

Just updating with the shipment from NCIX.

I got the new RAM, the D-Tek V2, the Enzotech SB heatsink and two bottles of Feser green UV dye (I figured I'd get an extra so I can have it extra green without worrying about running out in the future).

I've also now completely stripped the case and have started to make a few cuts. I'm probably going to cut the cable holes in the motherboard tray today.
Old June 27, 2008, 09:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I do not think I quite understand. Are you moving the mainboard tray form the right side of the case to the left?
Old June 27, 2008, 09:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

The case allows for the motherboard tray to be facing either way. I'm going to have the tray inverted so the motherboard faces to the right of the case (looking at it from the front). That way the CPU is closer to the bottom and the PCI slots are closer to the top. And then I'm going to cut a piece of brushed aluminum (it matches the outside) so it fits into the case, covering all of the plain grey.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:10 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'm still waiting on my Performance-PCs order which has pretty much everything I need. I just installed the Enzotech forged copper SB heatsink to replace the stock one, which got in the way of putting anything in the second PCIe slot.

Here are the pics of that:

I've also got the motherboard tray all cut up, but I don't have any pictures of that yet. Hopefully my order will get here tomorrow so I can start doing some actual work.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks promising!! Ive just ordered that board

I like that enzotech copper sink, their RAM/mosfet sinks in general are great too. That board looks real easy to watercool.

I tried ordering the fuzion V2 myself today too but they are all gone

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Will the Aluminum touch the back of the motherboard? I see it being a problem if you are using a CPU backplate.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old July 7, 2008, 07:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

The stand-offs give ~1cm of room between the back of the motherboard and the tray. So I've got 10mm-4mm (backplate thickness)-1mm (aluminum thickness)-1mm (3M super double sided tape thickness), so I've got a nice cool 4mm to spare. And of course, I have a plan B. If the aluminum doesn't fit behind the motherboard, I'll just cut that area out so the area around is still covered. And the 3M tape is extremely strong so the aluminum wont fall off, four inches can hold up to 1lbs.
Old July 9, 2008, 09:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

I got my shipment from Performance-PCs today And jdrom got his shipment from Petra's Tech Shop (which has my 8 Yate Loon D12SL-12's). So I have (nearly) all the supplies I need to get the case mod going for real.

Here's the picture of the Performance-PCs stuff:

Massive box (fan is a Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm*120mm*38mm for size comparison):

What's inside!?

The two black sheets are the back are a 500mm * 500mm * 1mm sheet of aluminum, and the smaller one is a 480mm * 480mm * 4mm sheet of clear acrylic.
Then in front, we have the EK-NB/SB 5 waterblock with acrylic top (I ordered the acetal but they were out of stock, so I got this instead). And beside that we have the EK Res 150. There is also 7 hose clamps (I thought I was ordering 7 pairs, I have a few worm drive ones from my last build, so I should still have enough). There is 50ft of black 1/4" sleeving and 5ft of black 1/4" heatshrink, plus 1ft of black 3/4" heatshink. On the left are 2 A C Ryan overboost UV CCFL's. And last I got the A C Ryan molex remover tool and 24 pin remover tool (that I havent figured out yet).

So today I attached 6 of the D12SL-12's to a single 3-pin (for my fan controller). Total amperage is supposed ot be 1.8A, and the fan controller is rated to 1.667A, but I tested it out and it worked, but only have 11.08V at full loud. Unfortunately I didn't solder them together, instead I stripped ~1" off of each fan and twisted them all together. A bit of sleeving, heatshrink and electrical tape later and its working perfectly. Here is a picture of the twisted cables as well as the two connections for the fans (one being a 3-pin that is around 3ft long, the other being a much shorter one for RPM reading).

Tomorrow I'm going to put the motherboard tray back in, and make a mock-up of the aluminum sheet with cardboard. And then I'll use that as a base for cutting up that nice clean sheet. And if I still have time I'll start cutting out the side panel for the window.

Only thing that I don't have planned yet is how I'm going to be mounting the pump. My plan is to mount it sideways, so the inlet is facing up, and the outlet is facing towards the back of the case like in the following pictures. The problem is, I've got no idea how to mount it like that. :help: Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. (With the hard mount attached, the bottom of the hard mount faces the front of the case).

Old July 9, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

That is a hard one, yes the hard mount does indeed face the chassis. One way I see if you are willing to put it right on the case bottom..

This sound stupid, but maybe a fat L bracket and screws in bottom of the case, and double-sided tape to the pump. Or unless mount it so that the outlet faces on either side of the bays, and use a 90 degree elbow fitting and then you should be able to get the other side of the tubing to the back of the case.

Sorry for my stupid suggestions, just trying to think some possibilities, good luck getting it done.