Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2008, 07:46 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The hole saw work fine on the 180/182. Take your time though, since usually they are designed for wood.
If you need special w/c parts, you can always take a look at Sidewinder Computers. Gary and the gang are a great bunch. Sidewinder Computers - Supplier of High Quality PC Modding and Cooling parts
Old June 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, I suspected it would be fine, the metal on the Coolermaster case I was doing was super thin. Just wanted to put it out there for folks to be forwarned.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
Top Prospect

Word of advice to anyone wanting to buy hoseclamps...get them from tddirect. To my surprise they're actually cheaper online than at CT...at CT they're like 1.09/clamp.

How do you properly flush a new rad? I've seen some people do it with repeated vinegar rinses and final distilled water rinse...that seems like unnecessary, but i dont know. Is hot tap water, followed by distilled water enough?

Last edited by nikitos; June 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old June 22, 2008, 09:25 PM
Top Prospect

Update

Well, I got tired of waiting for the rest of the parts to arrive so I took apart the computer, dusted everything off and started to set up blocks and stuff.

It'll never look the same :) :

Took off the plastic film off the Apogee, was pleasantly surprised by the base quality: smooth, very little machine marks:

Decided to go with the plastic barbs that came with the Apogee because the O-rings on those fitted the sockets much better than the metal barbs I have for some reason...oh well safety first. Mounted the block twice with MX-2 to check contact - excellent pressure at the center of the IHS, it appears.

Videocard block next...man the EK full cover block is amazing, the pictures don't do it justice, the thing is beautiful...

First time taking off the stock heatsink on a videocard:

went reasonably well, although I didn't clean off the stock compound around the core, cause it looked like my qtips might have left some residue if I tried to, but the core is shiny so that's good.

Installing the EK block was a bit time consuming, but straightforward; the provided instructions are very good. One thing I'd recommend is not to install the barbs before mounting the block, because it helps to lay it flat to screw in the bolts. Mounted twice as well, good contact, I really hope I didn't crush anything though...oh well, I'll find out in a couple of days I guess.

This is all for now, have to wait for parts now!
Old June 22, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Mmmmm shiny goodness.... Very nice! Are you sure the metal barbs dont fit well? I use them quite a bit, and I find they install and remove much easier. Also, if you are using a quadcore, you should rotate your CPU block 90 degrees. It will perform slightly better.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old June 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
Top Prospect

yep, I read your suggestions regarding GT orientation, Cptn, and (un)fortunately i'm running a puny E2180, so I chose the orientation that would allow slightly easier plumbing.

as far as metal barbs go, I noticed there is a groove for the o-ring the plastic part of the block, which fits the o-ring of the plastic barbs perfectly, while the metal (Swiftech) barb o-ring is slightly smaller.

Oh damn, I shouldn't have done this so early, now I'll be worryin' if I friend anything or not til I can start it up :p

Last edited by nikitos; June 22, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old June 25, 2008, 10:34 PM
Top Prospect

anyone have any suggestions for mounting the Swiftech Microres in the 5.25" drivebay? I've tried using the L bracket, but its really unstable even with a lock washer (ie it spins and slides around).
Old June 25, 2008, 11:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've mounted my Swiftech Micro Res in the 5.25" bay, but I wouldn't do so again.. I don't like the fact that you can't really see your coolant levels unless you take it out. I found myself always taking it out and inspecting it, as it was my first build and I was curious about why everytime when I take it out, the coolant level drops like a centimeter. I think that because I kept on taking it out, the barbs loosened and leaked.. It was all over my DVD drive and it didn't survive the leak..

So, if you really have to mount your res there, I won't stop you, but I would HIGHLY recommend you not to.
Old June 26, 2008, 08:10 AM
Top Prospect

The way I want to mount it (as indicated by the schematic drawing of the loop in the first post), about half of the res sticks out from the bay, so you can see the fluid level and use the fill port...I guess I just might go with a t.
Old June 26, 2008, 08:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitos View Post
The way I want to mount it (as indicated by the schematic drawing of the loop in the first post), about half of the res sticks out from the bay, so you can see the fluid level and use the fill port...I guess I just might go with a t.
What are you connecting the angle bracket to? The top of the case?

If it is spinning around the mounting screw then drill two holes and use two bolts. Or maybe small self tapping metal screws if you are pretty sure you will not want to move it and the screws do not protrude into visible space.