Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2008, 03:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Kloostec's first watercooling project

So two days ago, I finally decided that I'm going to try out watercooling. The big discount on the EK full coverage 8800GT blocks at NCIX right now pretty much made up my mind for me.

My computer now has the following parts:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R motherboard
2x1GB Patriot DDR2-800 ram (my router was recently upgraded to the 2x2GB Mushkin that was in my desktop)
BFG 8800GT OC 512MB 625 MHz core video card
Hitachi 500GB SATA2 hard drive
Antec Sonata II case
Corsair HX620 power supply
Auzentech X-Plosion sound card
Intel 1000/PT network card
Some sort of LG DVD burner

... and some peripherals

Benq keyboard
Logitech MX512 mouse
NEC 20WMGX2 monitor
Logitech Z-5500 speakers
Dual boot XP 64-bit and Ubuntu Hardy Heron amd64

I bought the following water cooling parts. I didn't want to spend a mint, but wanted to make sure that I'd be able to adequately cool both the processor and video card. I know the chipset needs cooling, too, but I don't plan to overclock heavily at the moment, and it runs perfectly fine with the current Scythe Ninja that doesn't direct any airflow at the chipset heatsink.

D-Tek Fuzion V2 cpu block
EK FC88 GT nickel plated full cover gpu block
Swiftech MCP655 pump
Swiftech MCR320 triple 120mm radiator
Swiftech MCB-120 radbox
Masterkleer 7/16Ē tubing (10 ft)
2x D-Tek 1/2Ē G1/4 barbs (pair)
2x Noctua NF-P12-1300 (already have one on my Scythe Ninja)
Primochill black tee
Danger Den 1/2Ē tubing plug
3x Nexus 120mm fan grill (so I donít lose a finger)
D-Tek Fuzion V2 quad core nozzle (wan t to compare to the stock nozzle)
2x Feser One fluid (black) Ė should be enough to fill initially and give me at least one or two refills later

I can't post what I paid for all of this equipment, as I'm not allowed to disclose Premier Partner pricing at NCIX, but it's pretty safe to say that I got these items lower than the cheapest pricematches

Iím planning on taking a bunch of pictures of the equipment to start with tonight. I wonít be able to get started on the build until this weekend, but Iím excited about it now, so at least I can get the initial post on the work log written!

The current plan is to decommission my main computer while Iím assembling and installing the water cooling loop. Iíve got a couple of other fairly capable machines available (including the EEE that Iím writing this post from), so losing my main computer for a couple of days wonít be too bad. Iím thinking that the best way to do this will be to be as careful as if I was using water rather that Feser One, so Iíll build the loop outside of the case, leak test it for 24 hours, then assemble it inside the computer properly. Iíll still have to disconnect the rad when I do the final install, as it will be mounted on the outside of the case using the radbox.

So, as far as most water cooling setups are concerned, this is going to be a pretty basic setup. For my first WC build, though, itís going to take a fair amount of time to work my way through it, especially as Iíll be taking lots of pictures!

Current outstanding questions:

* Can I mount my radiator upside down (the nozzles at the bottom)? If I can, Iíll need to use significantly less tubing to connect it to the loop. Since Iíve got a Sonata II, Iíll probably have to mid-mount the radiator, as itís pretty tall, so the tubing will have to stretch from the bottom front corner of my case all the way out of the back and up past the top of the case behind it otherwise. I think it might become significantly harder to bleed if I mount it upside-down, though.

* Push or pull? Right now itís looking like most people are suggesting a pull configuration for the fans through the rad.

* Speed for my pump? This Iíll really only be able to tell by testing it. I want it to be quieter than my fans on low, so itíll probably be set in the 1-3 range.
Old June 5, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Push and Pull all the way! get some good quality low dba fans using Noctua Nf-p12s in push/pull absolutely silent. Ohh and btw the swiftech pump is verry silent before the bubbles were out there was a silent noise after i got rid of all the bubbles its silent.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Last edited by Dashock; June 5, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old June 5, 2008, 04:08 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I don't think I have enough money to go out and buy more fans, so the 3 I've got will have to do for now. I can see why push AND pull would be good, as that would maximize the amount of air going through the radiator, but it seems that a good pull configuration will result in quite a bit of air going through the rad anyway.

Also glad to know that the pump will be quiet. It's a lot bigger than I thought it would be!
Old June 5, 2008, 05:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I do not know if you can mount the radiator with the barbs on top. I would doubt it would make a difference so long as your high water level is above the rad barbs.

I think the going wisdom is that pull is slightly better than push on most rads but the difference is usually minimal. Here is your chance to do some good old fashion moder experimentation.

What is your plan for the system: quiet, OC, or hybrid? That would seem to make your choice for fan speed: slow, fast, and in between respectively.
Old June 5, 2008, 05:41 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I want the barbs to be on the bottom, which I think is upside-down. The top of the rad would then be above the high water mark, as I'm mid-mounting the radiator because my case is short, which is why I think there might be a problem with this setup.

Yeah, I'll probably try both push and pull. I'll make sure to write about which one's better in the worklog.

I'm definitely going for quiet at first. Right now the PC is very quiet except for the 8800GT, which winds up quite a bit when I play games. I've got a Scythe Ninja with a Noctua p12 fan and the lowest speed setting cooling the quad at the moment.
Old June 5, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I guess your not interested in putting an aftermarket cooler on that 8800GT? I thought the pump was small lol but then again i didnt really have any expectations on the pump.
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old June 5, 2008, 06:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I thought about putting an aftermarket air cooler on the video card, but decided to go with water instead. I did get a GPU block (the EK full cover block is heavily discounted at NCIX right now), so the loud fan will be gone once I'm done installing the water cooling.
Old June 5, 2008, 06:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

oh. I got the rad mounting backward in my mind. There is probably some physics behind the difference between pumping it up into the rad and letting it fall or letting it fall in to the rad and pumping it out. If you are going to go for a quiet system my guess is that would not make much difference as everything will be slowly cycling.

Am I missing something or do you not have a reservoir? Looking at my Sonata I forget what version it is but I think that even center mounting the rad would cause it to stick up over the top of the case a little bit. If you plan on putting in a T line perhaps you could run it out the back and up the side of the rad and just a bit higher. That way you can monitor the water line and make sure it is above or near the top of the rad. I think that should be the highest point of your loops and so physics dictates the rad would at least be full of water if not operating at optimal temperatures. Once the system bleeds it should require minimal maintenance.

Is not the MCP655 the big pump from Swifttech? I doubt it will have a problem pushing the water around.
Old June 5, 2008, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

ohh yea good block im sure it will drop yer temps down like crazyy good choice im happy with the Zalman cooler maself.
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/

Old June 5, 2008, 07:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It won't have a problem at all, I have my D5 at speed setting 4, running through a loop with 1x120 swiftech rad, 1x 220 swiftech rad, and 1x 320 thermochill rad, with cpu and gpu block, and it seems to flow fairly well, and I've still got another setting to run it up to. Flow won't be an issue at all.

@Jack Rabbit: Hes going with a t-line.

@OP: I would recommend a res(the Swiftech micro res is GREAT), I've done t-line and the res is a hell of a lot easier to bleed the loop, and its more attractive.