Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2018, 08:16 PM

My System Specs

Default The Crippled God. Scratch Open Frame Build.

I've always planned on doing one more major watercooled case mod then moving on to a less time consuming hobby. I originally wanted to use my BNIB Tagan / A+ Black Pearl but as since I don't have a CNC to cut the aluminum properly I'll be doing a case from scratch. It will use aluminum extrusion plus 3d printed parts. After the case is doing I'll release all the source files if anyone else wants to build one. I'm designing all the plastic parts so that the majority of 3d printers can print them w/o issue.

For the first while I'll just be posting models/renders until I think the design is finished and will work. Should take a lot of the wild guess / trial & error work that went on on other builds I've done.

I knew I wanted to use 180mm radiators. I have two 3x180mms and one 2x180mm but I think that one 3x180mm is enough for pretty much any hardware plus I'm able to keep the system slightly smaller this way. I couldn't find any models for 180mm radiators so I made one from scratch. One thing I should have thought of is how many objects the fins use, it absolutely cripples AutoDesk Fusion 360 when ever I touch the model. It looks good but I've crashed the app at least 50x when making it.

Next I started on the motherboard tray. I started w/ Santiago's design from GrabCAD and went to town making it useable and printable. I ended up making the tray in to 9 pieces that screw together.

Pic showing the jigsaw method I used to switch the tray together.

The backplate is split in to four pieces.

After a few days I got the basic general design laid out. Still need to figure out lots of other stuff yet though.

Using the following models created by others:
Corsair RM750 PSU by Camo
Silverstone AP181 by Yang Ji
2020 Aluminum Extrusion by Jim Beam
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old April 3, 2018, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

i like the design, lowfat's work is always super clean
Old April 5, 2018, 10:07 PM

My System Specs

Thanks.

Spent the last few days working on the cabling paths. I like how the 24-pin was done on one of the XForma prototypes (MDPC 44) LINK. So I'm going to try to space and offset the cables a bit to attempt a similar look. The bottom cables will be one colour, the top another.

This is what I've came up w/ after a few revisions.

Here is the cable management combs on the backside of the tray.

Added the additional models created by others:
EK-RES X3 by maskymus
Asus P6T SE MotherBoard by Anuwat
Nvidia GTX1080 by Kevin Yu
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old April 6, 2018, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

OK, I'll admit it. First time I looked at this post I didn't read, just looked at the pretty pictures. Today I read and realised you are designing and building it all! Very neat stuff lowfat. Excited to see how this one turns out.
Old April 6, 2018, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

The design looks really good... is that material easy to obtain?
NEW: customize case, XFX 750W, i7 4770k, supreme hf, GA-Z87X-OC Force, 16gb gskill ripjaws 2133mhz , xfx hd6950 CF. 128gb intel 520, wd blue and toshiba 1tb, mcp355 + EK-XRES , 2x ar697, 2x PXM360, 12x AC F12 fans, 12 x shroud, STT 123W fan filter. 2442.88CDN
OLD: customize case, hx100, i7 920, supreme hf, x58 sabertooth, 3gbx2 ram of ripjaws, xfx hd6950 CF. vertex 2 60gb, seagate and hitachi 1tb, dual mcp355 with ek rex v2, 2x koolance ar697, 2x mcr320, 6x zm-f3 fans.
Old April 6, 2018, 11:19 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTA View Post
The design looks really good... is that material easy to obtain?
The aluminum extrusion? You should be able to buy it in Vancouver. I'll probably buy mine from Spool3d.ca out of Calgary. They cut it to the lengths I need and don't charge extra for it. Probably about $50 for the aluminum plus shipping.

The t-nuts used to screw it together are harder to find. Not sure you can get them locally. I buy them from Aliexpress. But Spool3d sell them as well.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old April 8, 2018, 10:25 AM

My System Specs

I designed the mounts for the reservoir and pump. Also finished up the mounts to secure the motherboard tray to the frame.

EK Waterpump and Plexi Top created by Lschultz
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old April 8, 2018, 11:27 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Very cool Lowfat, is amazing what you can print with these 3d printers nowadays. Like the design, you can tweak what you want now instead of after you finish and then redo things, very nice.
Old April 8, 2018, 11:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
Very cool Lowfat, is amazing what you can print with these 3d printers nowadays. Like the design, you can tweak what you want now instead of after you finish and then redo things, very nice.
C'mon.... lowfat would never change things around mid build.....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old April 8, 2018, 11:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Malazan, Book of the Fallen. Why the case name? Red/black theme?
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about