Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2017, 02:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Bad Moon Ryzen

Hey dudes! I'm starting a build log here for the first time. It will most likely suck, so prepare yourselves. I'm not a perfectionist, I don't mod, I'm a complete nerd slob, I can't take pics worth a damn, etc etc. Cable management will be optional, if I do it at all. Criticism can be left at the door, unless it's constructive. Otherwise, if you're really picky, GTFO. Just sayin'.

Background: old nerd, 46 years ancient, and have been building PCs since the 386 days, albeit not particularly well.

This build will be named Bad Moon Ryzen, because who doesn't enjoy awful puns! It will also be a "fluid" build, meaning I'm going to slap it onto a temporary "test bed" of sorts so I can test the crap out of it. Then once I decide what route to take with the water cooling, I'll do a "proper" build in a proper case. If this system cuts the mustard, it might replace my "main" rig, an X79 setup. So it *could* be migrated into my Case Labs M8 cube case. Not sure about that yet though.

The parts I have acquired are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370
CPU: Ryzen 1700, with wraith cooler for now
RAM: Gskill TridentZ 3600mhz @ CL15 (2 x 8G)
SSD: Intel 1TB 600p
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe in anthracite gray
GPU: none, as I'm going to use my old Radeon 7950 for testing purposes. If I decide to make this my daily driver, it will get my pair of GTX 980's.

Everything will be water cooled eventually (waiting on some Watercool AM4 mounts for HeatKiller CPU blocks). Now for some pics!!

Le parts, under le bad LED lighting:

Le board de mother:

Le CPU:

Le petite NVME SSD (it's so tiny!):

Le colors that don't match, but who cares:

Le timings de awesomesauce:

This won't be the fastest build in the world for sure, and most of the water cooling will be stuff I have laying around. I already have some D5 pumps (probably only going to use one in this rig), and some rads. I'll probably pick up a slim 360 rad for the roof of the Luxe, since the only 360 I have laying around is a TFC Admiral that's 75mm thick, and that isn't fitting in this Luxe!

This is my main rig, dramatic angle shot. It's very purple! The Ryzen could get migrated into this thing eventually.
Old April 19, 2017, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Love the name! Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Old April 20, 2017, 05:18 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks Lysrin! It'll be a slow one though, since so much is up in the air (what case will it be in, what GPU's I'll be using, etc). If Vega launches, and it's good, I might end up with a pair of those, depending on price. Trying HARD to avoid green team this time, since I'm sick of their overpricing!
Old April 20, 2017, 06:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I avoid green no based on overpricing but rather their bull shit industry rape everyone but them, lie and hide the truth tactics, they cannot use high grade components like AMD uses, so instead use fancy tricks to prevent temps/power from overloading the below quality components in use, then when something eventually slows down/fails after this, they blame everyone but themselves who are VERY picky on what ODM/OEM partners are allowed to use and what they must price it at.

Then there is all the rest of the fancy BS like game works, Gsync which adds no small part to the cost etc etc. I refused many years ago to use them, still do not, and do my best to give folks I help with build suggestions for other options instead..I wonder how long those crazy high clocked pascals will run at the speed they are making them run before they up and fail?

Nv a company without real ethics (tm)

Anyways like the name as well that pic with fancy purple scheme, hells yeh, for me always wanted a blacklight dark purple type coloring, with the glass using kind of like a microwave mesh to break up the light a bit maybe even using a infinity mirror type effect in the process.

IMO nothing wrong with your picture taking skills
Old April 20, 2017, 08:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks Dragonstongue, agreed on all counts! I've been trying to avoid team green, but I got stupid a year or 2 ago with some unexpected back pay and ended up with a 4K G-stink panel that was on sale (Acer Predator XB280HK) to go along with a pair of GTX 980's. AMD still doesn't have a competitive product at the high end, so Nvidia is rather hard to avoid. I sure as HELL won't pay for a 1080Ti though, heck with that noise. Worst case I pick up some used 1080s, but I'm waiting to see what Vega will be like. *fingers crossed*

Pics were taken with a used DSLR I just picked up (Nikon D5100S). I'm just learning it, so things will be a bit rough, especially taking pics under LED pot lights. :)
Old April 20, 2017, 04:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It lives!

Messy, but alive!
Old April 20, 2017, 11:33 PM
MVP

Except for the water loop, that look is strangely familiar.

Post up your OC if you don't mind.
Old April 21, 2017, 04:35 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I don't even have an OS yet, so I OCed nothing. That's the next step this weekend. I just set the RAM to 3200 from the drop down with the beta BIOS to see if it would work, and it does. I have a LOT of reading to do, since this bios (and entire platform) are very unfamiliar to me.
Old April 24, 2017, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Gotta love the Ryzen (bad) pun love!
Old April 25, 2017, 10:50 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Bad puns are one of the best parts of all these Ryzen builds.

This build should be updated this evening. I finally got Windows 10 installed, but I can only hit 2933 on the memory, and even then it has cold boot issues. It reverts to 2133 on every cold boot (grrrr), but when it DOES run, it seems to run pretty quick (~1427 score in Cinebench R15). I ran 2933 with crazy timings too, 12-12-12-12-24. Not sure if that makes any difference though. I have a lot to learn about p-state overclocking, memory training, etc. All of this would be a LOT easier without the cold boot issues. BCLK overclocking is a no-go at the moment, since every time I touch the BCLK, my NVME drive disappears. There are a LOT of wrinkles with this platform that need to be ironed out to make it perform.

Last edited by Bartacus; April 26, 2017 at 04:52 AM.