Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2017, 11:06 PM
Rookie

Smile Corsair 900D HDD drive bay replacement

Hi everyone.

I have been lurking the forums for a while now and eagerly reading the threads posted. I decided that it's time to post a request for suggestions to mod or buy proper HDD drive bay replacements that are not made of flimsy cheap plastic and a silly mounting system.

I have attached pics of the drive cage assembly and the actual drive "trays / mounting mechanism".

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve or mod or replace the trays with better units. Any Corsair 900D owners on here that can advise?

Old January 3, 2017, 06:48 PM
Rookie

I own a 900D, and yeah the trays are pretty flimsy, but I used them regardless. Never had any of them break despite how you have to install 2.5" heads by bending the cage around them.

The only option I can think of for replacement would be 3D printing, which I've heard there are lots of websites that offer that kind of service. Maybe someone on the forum has a recommended site. I've yet to make any 3d printed objects myself.

I would say if you decide to have them made. Make the design just have four screw holes on the side instead of the pins like on the default trays.
Old January 3, 2017, 07:27 PM
Rookie

Now there's an idea I didn't think off. I must give that a try - thanks for the suggestion.

It's the mounting pin mechanism which is not practical and then add the flimsy tray that flexes so much it leaves much to be desired when sliding the entire assembled contraption back into the cage.

I wonder whether aluminium brackets can be laser cut and then using screws instead of pins for mounting the HDD's.
Old January 3, 2017, 09:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Can't you simply pop out the pins and use screws instead?

How often are you pulling out hard drives though? Perhaps you want to look at installing a hot-swap bay into your 5.25" bays.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:24 PM
Rookie

The screws won't be long enough - have tried that. Also the pins that hold the release mechanism are terrible and fall out often (refer to picture in the first post).
I have the hot swap back plane already for the drive cages. The drives are pulled out often (think caddy style) for content / data transfer between workstations in different locations.

Also when a drive dies or needs to be upgraded the removal of drives is a PITA.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can get longer screws. They should be #6-32 for the side of 3.5" HDDs. Or 3D print new brackets that will accept screws. Once you have a design try 3dhubs.com to find a local-ish 3d printing service. I found some stuff on Thingiverse that could probably be adapted or used as is.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:48 PM
Rookie

Thanks SugarJ. Will give it a try.
Old January 3, 2017, 11:18 PM
Rookie

Laser cut metal trays would be doable if it's the same dimensions. Would probably be much more expensive though with the default tray design, since it has that locking hinge clip to hold it in the bay. 3D printing materials are pretty durable from what I hear and there are different filaments you can use, so I'd look into it for sure.
Old January 4, 2017, 05:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Something like this might be worth considering then if you're pulling out drives that often: ICY DOCK FlexCage MB973SP-1B Tray-less 3x3.5" HDD in 2x5.25" Bay SATA Hot Swap Rack / Cage / Module - Newegg.ca That's tray-less so the drive just slides in and out. Plus you wouldn't need to take off the side panel from the case either.

If you setup a gigabit switches and file shares on the machines though, you can easily copy data between them at 100MB/s which is full speed for most hard drives anyhow.
Old January 4, 2017, 08:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Something like this might be worth considering then if you're pulling out drives that often: ICY DOCK FlexCage MB973SP-1B Tray-less 3x3.5" HDD in 2x5.25" Bay SATA Hot Swap Rack / Cage / Module - Newegg.ca That's tray-less so the drive just slides in and out. Plus you wouldn't need to take off the side panel from the case either.

If you setup a gigabit switches and file shares on the machines though, you can easily copy data between them at 100MB/s which is full speed for most hard drives anyhow.
I have one but I don't want to interfere with the aesthetics of the 900D front fascia.

I am probably being really pedantic but I like a very understated look, I am a PC enthusiast above anything else so looks, and performance is what I am about. Ease of use / quality materials for an expensive case like the 900D is in my opinion something that should be incorporated but I feel tht Corsair skimped on that with the drive trays....

I did contact Cold Zero to see whether they would make up or have a solution but they said sorry can't help you.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I may abandon the idea altogether and change out the entire setup for a rack mounted networked server.