Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 6, 2016, 10:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Simpleton --> NZXT S340 in white

My first build log here. I also have this on Dazmode's web site forums.

Decided that I wanted to build in the NZXT S340 in white. Being a somewhat new water cooler (only since summer of 2013) I decided to change up the case a bit to get a 360mm radiator in the front, and allow for a 240mm up top.

Because it's such an elegant design with very little "gamer" accent I decided to just call it Simpleton. I'm going to try and keep a black/white colour theme and any colour accents will come from Darkside RGB strips with remote control.

The case mods are minimalistic, trying to stick with the original aesthetic of the case as much as possible. The top, PSU shroud and front part of the chassis had their rivets drilled out with a 1/8" drill bit and the rivets will be replaced with M4 socket head screws that resemble original rivets fairly well.

This tends to improve case rigidity over the original aluminum rivets.

Forgive my poor photos, I'm no Dmitry

Initial Parts List:

1) CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K
2) Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLi Plus motherboard
3) RAM: G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4-3000 RAM with the red accents removed from the heatspreaders
4) GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti with Bitspower clear Acrylic Titan X Water block and standard "dragony" backplate, capable of 1.55 ghz (due to 79% ASIC) and 1900 mhz RAM
5) Power Supply: EVGA 850w G2 PSU with Cablemod Black/white cable kit and maybe cable combs, or I might try to "lace" the cables
7) Case: NZXT S340 case in white
8) Samsung 840 EVO 500GB for boot and WD20NPVX 2TB 2.5" drive for data/profile/games (under the PSU shroud)

Cooling:

1) Bitspower BP-WBCPUIAC-CUMBKWH Summit EF white water block
2) Bitspower Titan X Acrylic block w/backplate
3) Bitspower 150mm Z Tank with triple G1/4 cap on top and D5 pump adapter on the bottom mounted to the cable bar
4) Bitspower white acrylic tube fittings (C47 and C48) for 10/12mm acrylic tubing, some multi-link right angle white fittings and a white drain port
5) Bitspower white 10/12mm acrylic tubing
6) D5 Vario Pump with Bitspower white dress up kit and white sleeved cables
7) 3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 (1850RPM) fans in front and dual NB-ELoop B12-P Fans up top in exhaust
8) Single stock NZXT black white fan for exhaust in back
9) Hardware Labs 360GTS (360mm 30mm radiator) in white
10) Hardware Labs Nemesis L-Series 240mm/30mm radiator up top in black

Started with cutting the top. I wanted to make a 220mm long rectangle that was centered on the top and keep it as "stealth" as possible.

First measuring the top for cutting:

Then cut (with Dremel) the top, then a long session of measuring, filing, refiling to straighten and then sanding the top, priming and painting with Rustoleum flat black. Some accidents with a paint can that was near its end and causing splotching required the process to be re-done, but ended up with a decent, though not perfect job, and cut and bent some "speaker grill" mesh I got from Performance PCs in black powder coat, The bent part tucks in between the top panel and the top lip of the motherboard tray:

Cut out the bottom drive cage and removed the lip that ties it in to the front panel, and lengthened the bottom screw holes for both the 120 and 140mm fan mounts (just in case):

I also cut and filed/sanded and repainted (flat black Rustoleum) the bottom PSU shroud and installed the motherboard and front radiator for a test fit:

Test fit the top radiator and drilled some holes in the top panel and used some "headless" socket set type screws to retain the top mesh and radiator. I know the motherboard is different, but I'm going to stick to the MSI Z170A SLi Plus, not the Asus X99-A:

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old April 6, 2016, 05:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looks good, I have an S340 in my fleet and I like it. What made you want the 240mm mod at the top of the case?
Old April 7, 2016, 07:28 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
Looks good, I have an S340 in my fleet and I like it. What made you want the 240mm mod at the top of the case?
Hey Phill,

I am still thinking about putting my two R9 Nanos in this system, so to get sufficient radiator capacity to cool them effectively and quietly, I calculated that I'd need 5x120mm fan spaces for radiators.

I had these two cards in Crossfire on my "test bench" (translated: Motherboard box heheh) and with the two cards and a 6700K, my max gaming/Heaven/Unigine power usage according to the kill-a-watt was around 475 watts, which is exemplary.

But to get some extra headroom for cooling I referred to www.extremerigs.net 360mm radiator review and found the Nemesis 360GTS can dissipate around 300watts of power with Gentle Typhoons in push at 1300RPM with a "Delta-T" or 10 celsius. I think it was around 290-295 watts IIRC.

Just adding single 120mm radiator would only give me another 100-120 watts power/heat dissipation at maximum, but a dual/240mm radiator would give me around another 200 watts.

So that gives me a bit of extra cooling headroom without having to drive the fans at 1500-1600 RPM to get quiet and effective cooling. I also had to add 20-30 watts for the pump.

While a single GTX 980Ti would require less power and less cooling, I wanted to still leave some room for expandability.

Truth be told, I still have enough room in the back 120mm fan space to add another 120mm slim/30mm radiator, so if I really want super-quiet cooling, I could theoretically use that.

I was dead-set on using this case as it's A) Nicely compact and attractive and B) Has that great cable management bar in the front, so even if I wanted to use the two R9 Nanos, I could run the PCI-E Power cables under the management bar and secure them using either velcro, zip-ties, or some adhesive backed square clips I have in my rather too-big cable management box

Hope that explains it

And thanks for asking.

Old April 7, 2016, 11:48 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It looks like you are dedicated your water cooling. I have thought about a full custom loop but I am always stopped short of acting on it because of its finality. Once the loop is complete it is not easy to swap parts in and out of the system that are under water. Maybe one day soon. After all product cycles are so long now having the same parts for a few years seems likely.
Old April 8, 2016, 05:31 AM
Rookie

Hey 10e, fancy meeting you here. Looks nice, looking forward to more.

Old April 8, 2016, 11:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
It looks like you are dedicated your water cooling. I have thought about a full custom loop but I am always stopped short of acting on it because of its finality. Once the loop is complete it is not easy to swap parts in and out of the system that are under water. Maybe one day soon. After all product cycles are so long now having the same parts for a few years seems likely.
It all came around when I tried an air cooled M-ATX system with dual Titans and a 3770K in a Lian Li PC-V354R (red) case. In air cooled configuration they ran too loud, so I looked into water cooling.

I agree that water cooling definitely discourages constant upgrades, and that's ok with me. I haven't found hardware all that exciting lately, so I've just stuck with systems a bit longer anyway.

Now that I can correctly relate radiator capacity to my components I feel that I can put together systems that are effectively cooled and kept quiet. I also learned a few modding tricks to sometimes get a bit more WC out of a case than out-of-box.

But my favourite unmodded system that I water cooled (ever) was a Raijintek Metis Mini ITX case with 4770K and GTX 970

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2005.47.47.jpg

It ran pretty cool and quiet and was tiny. Still amazed at what I was able to shoe-horn into it!

But I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderCAN View Post
Hey 10e, fancy meeting you here. Looks nice, looking forward to more.

I've been on here for too long!

Hey stranger