Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 25, 2016, 10:17 AM
Rookie

Default H220 Unleashed!

Hi all! By way of introduction to these forums, I thought I'd post a condensed version of a couple of my builds. I often use used parts to keep the price down, and this system is no exception. It has a very effective (and yet cost effective) water cooling loop based on the Swiftech H220.

Hardware:

Antec P280 White case with side window
Asus Z77 Sabertooth
Intel i7-3770k
G.Skill Sniper 4x4GB 1866 C9
2X XFX R9 290 4GB reference
XFX Pro850W (Seasonic made non modular)
Sandisk 128GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Samsung 24X DVD burner

Cooling:

Swiftech H220 (CPU block/pump, 2x120mm rad)
XSPC EX360 (3x120mm)
2X Swiftech MCW50 universal GPU water block
ramsinks for GPUs
Swiftech Hydrix (the original green glycol based stuff)
9X Gelid Wing 12 UV reactive 120mm fans (thanks 10e for a few of these!)
2X 120mm fan filters
Feser 3/8ID 1/2OD Acid Green UV reactive tubing
Swiftech Microres V2
NZXT Sentry 2 touch screen fan controller (thanks Prolab)

Modding:

Dual 12 inch UV CCFL
3xUV LEDs
AC Ryan stainless steel rad grill (3x120mm)
Gutted 120mm fan, threaded rod, socket head cap screws
Misc fittings, tees, Y's, valve, zip ties, spit and bailing wire
Aluminum rod
5.25 HDD adapter

The CPU, mobo, ram, GPUs, SSD, EX360, one MCW50, a few fans and the fan controller came from kijiji/forums.

Last edited by GrinderCAN; January 25, 2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old January 25, 2016, 10:18 AM
Rookie

The water cooling loop consists of an H220 "all in one", with the original coolant drained, the tubing removed, and the PWM fans and splitter removed. I added new tubing, fittings, and coolant, a 3x120mm rad, two GPU blocks, res, analog fans, and a fan controller. The loop runs res - pump/CPU - GPUs (parallel) - 3x120 rad in pull (top/exhaust) - 2x120 rad in pull (bottom/intake, uses original integrated res as a drain). It also incorporates a drain valve near the GPUs (came from my first Swiftech kit ~ 2004ish!), and of course it can easily be filled from the top port in the res. Pump gets power from molex, and speed is dictated by PWM CPU header on mobo. Fan controller has upper rad on 1, lower on 2, GPU VRM cooling on 3, case fans on 4. Temp probes are located on end cap of upper rad, GPU VRM heatsink, and case interior. Two intake fans are in the lower front, one exhaust by the mobo backplate, and one cooling the GPU ram/VRMs.

Mods of interest include:

3x120 upper rad. The case had a 2x120 mount there which I cut out with tin snips. I used the AC Ryan rad grill to support the rad and reinforced it with aluminum rod. The case top and rad grill were painted.

2x120 lower rad. I cut a hole, removed the bottom plastic part of the HDD cage, and bent the vertical metal support there to strengthen it and give room for the rad. Parts of the lower case were painted. Aluminum rod was used to support the rad, and filters were added.

5.25 bay area - Minor touches here, I bent one of the retainers here to gain space to pass the tubing through. Also bent the right rear portion of the 5.25/3.5 HDD adapter to allow clearance for tubing at the same spot. Even though the 3x120mm rad intrudes into the bay area, I was able to use all 3 spaces, placing the fan controller at the top, the HDD adapter in the middle, and the optical drive in the bottom. This leaves 2 SSD mounts (1 used) and 4 HDD mounts down below where they are cooled by fresh outside air.

A couple of minor tweaks include a pass through for the small ATX mobo cable (too short otherwise) and a couple of holes to hold the reservoir.

Out of my 9 Gelid Wing 12 fans, only two had mounting areas for LEDs. So I drilled a hole in one and used part of a mechanical pencil and my wife's glue gun to create a mount. I used some assorted UV LED leftovers to create a single 3xUV LED harness, and wired it to a leftover switch from a CCFL light kit.

The small ramsinks that I had weren't enough to cool the GPU VRM's, so I fabricated a couple of aluminum heatsinks. I used 1/4 x 1 inch aluminum rod and ripped down the center of it with a table saw and aluminum cutting blade, then cross cut it and tidied it up. I had to root through my collection of old mounting hardware to be able to mount these and the MCW50's (the latter being circa 2005). I also used some threaded rod and an old fan body (once used as a rad spacer) to mount and position a fan close to the GPUs.

I tuned the CPU to 4.7 Ghz 24 hours prime stable at 1.37ish, while the pair of 290s were left at stock voltage but turned up to 1090/1250 IIRC. In Firestrike it was within ~5 percent of a 4790k with two GTX980's.

I think that's about it, my kickass value rig. Pics will be posted shortly.

Last edited by GrinderCAN; January 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old January 25, 2016, 10:27 AM
Rookie

Old January 25, 2016, 10:30 AM
Rookie

Old January 26, 2016, 07:11 AM
Rookie

I posted some pics here yesterday, however I'm a new member. Not sure if the posts are awaiting moderator approval, or I need a minimum number of posts for pics.
Old January 26, 2016, 07:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderCAN View Post
I posted some pics here yesterday, however I'm a new member. Not sure if the posts are awaiting moderator approval, or I need a minimum number of posts for pics.
Should be good now. Posts with images and/or URLs from low(er) post count members go into moderation, but for some reason your image posts weren't showing up on our "to to" list... did you edit them after they'd been out of moderation?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old January 26, 2016, 08:41 AM
Rookie

That did the trick, thanks. I didn't edit the pic posts at all, however I did edit both of my text only ones after I posted the images (looked at them too many times waiting for the pics to appear, and found some errors). Perhaps that's what kept them off your "to do" list. They also contained pics only, no text, maybe that was a factor as well.
Old February 14, 2016, 03:55 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've always wondered why the people with double (or more) GPU's always have the water cooling in series, it just doesn't make sense to me.
The hot water from the first card is not going to cool the 2nd card as efficiently and then I see GrinderCAn set up, a perfect parallel water cooling where both cards are being cooled equally.

Thank you, first one I've seen.

Old March 7, 2016, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Thanks Carlos!

Realistically, there will only be a small difference in water temperature between the first card and the second. This is more about improving the flow rate in the overall loop.

If P is the pressure drop from the GPU block, in series you will see a restriction of 2XP, whereas in parallel it is more like P/2. A 4X difference to the loop, and a benefit as long as the GPU blocks are still getting enough flow.
Old March 7, 2016, 02:08 PM

My System Specs

MCW50s? Where in the world did you get those? Those things are ancient.