Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2015, 09:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Desk-top

Hi All,
Over the past few months I have been contemplating on what to do (as you can see by the pictures my computer room is very small) and I have limited space to work with and with an "L" shape desk in there and a dresser that my tower sat on it was very cramped.

last year I stumbled upon the "L3P Desk" which integrated the PC and computer desk and I really liked the idea but I was lazy and couldn't figure it out in my head as it looked WAY too complicated so that Idea was on the back burner until a few months ago..
My first thoughts were to build mitx/htpc computer but that would require buying a lot of new parts which the budget does not allow for that lol.

So I decided(the decision was made for me...) to paint the computer room and I told the GF that I would paint it once I found a new desk..so I cleaned out the room and finally got the ambition to paint the room(not paint yet) and I accidentally committed myself to building a new desk once I took apart/broke my old desk...

So here it is.
I used 2 Pine planks. 1 was 20"wide x 96" in length and another that was 18"wide by 72" in length(there was a small cutting miss-hap that resulted in the smaller bottom you see)

The final dimensions are as follows
Length-60"
Width-18"
Height-6.5"

I am looking for some input/suggestions as I have run into a a bit of a wrinkle on how to place everything inside to allow for "OK" cable management and also on Fan placement. As you can see with some old parts inside to mock up planning I almost have to orientate the MOBO vertically so to speak due to the depth of the desk only being 18".
I did not want to Cut fan slots in the back until I figured everything out so it's just sitting in the room empty on-top of a dresser as I don't know how high I want to mount it yet either.

2 key points i would mention is
I am using a Corsair kuhler h60 watercooler that needs a place and also my videocard is a Gigabyte 6950 Full shroud with rear exhaust.
I have a coolermaster storm enforces case ATM so all the fans and hard drive cages inside that are also usable and I could purchase some fans also if need be.

Thanks!
-J
Attached Images

Old August 4, 2015, 09:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

My only concern would be a strong positive air flow path. With so much internal space I think you're leaving yourself open to dead air spaces which would retain the heat.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old August 4, 2015, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's what I was thinking maybe some 140 mm cut into the box for better air flow ??????
Old August 4, 2015, 10:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Wood (pun intended) it be possible to pull the desk forward by say 3", mount a top filler strip along the top back (by the hinges), then you could drill a bunch of 140mm holes along the back of the desk and that would draw air in from the bottom along the 3" gap from under the desk that you now have since you pulled the desk forward?

Not only would that draw cool air in from below, but it would be totally unseen. You could also mount air filters on the 140mm fans.
Old August 4, 2015, 10:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by '47 Knucklehead View Post
Wood (pun intended) it be possible to pull the desk forward by say 3", mount a top filler strip along the top back (by the hinges), then you could drill a bunch of 140mm holes along the back of the desk and that would draw air in from the bottom along the 3" gap from under the desk that you now have since you pulled the desk forward?

Not only would that draw cool air in from below, but it would be totally unseen. You could also mount air filters on the 140mm fans.
Old August 8, 2015, 04:21 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Wilson- i plan on closing off the mobo area and segregating the psu and hdd cage on the other side. the reason i have the opening by the shelf shown in the 2nd last picture is i'm not a huge fan of not having access to plug/unplug things but if that is whats best than i will certainly close that off as well. I thought I had a USB hub that was to be mounted on the top but it broke.

Knuckle- unfortunately im truying to make due-for the most part- with what i have already built. All pieces are air-nailed + glued except for the top which i am thinking about moving the hinges to the inside.

So i'm looking for options the would only involve modifying whats already there whether it's mounting a 240mm fan under the mobo(which will be 1" off the bottom) to draw air from the bottom with exhaust fans in the rear or i can have the mobo oriented at either end as it doesn't have to be on the right.

so it seems that the air flow is the biggest issue- I am still in the market for a new mobo+cpu so moving to an m-itx or m-atx mobo wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks!
-J
Old August 8, 2015, 04:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Understood. Well, here is a mod that you could do and get good air and not undo anything. Since it looks like the desk doesn't go "wall to wall" on the sides, why not drill 2-3 120/140mm holes on one side and place 2-3 fans there and have those fans draw air in from the side (by the wall) and blow across all the components?