Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 16, 2015, 10:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Monochromania 760T

Hey all, been a while since I posted what I was up to with my personal machine. I never even uploaded my 900D build log when we were having server problems.

So, someone said a couple weeks back he was looking at a large case for his build so I offered him my 900D. I've had my eye on a "smaller" case for a bit, so when he said he wanted it I bought myself a Corsair 760T in Arctic White. I had a 5930K sitting here while I decided what to do, so then came the cascade of finding a home for my Z97 parts and buying some X99 stuff.

So, parts list:

Case: Corsair 760T
CPU: Intel i7 5930K
Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x4GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
GPU: EVGA 780Ti (I'm waiting for the fallout of the new releases)
SSD: Intel 730 480Gb
SSHD: Seagate 2TB Hybrid
PSU: Corsair RM750

Watercooling parts will be a mix of old and new. I picked up a EK-Supremacy Evo in Nickel/Plexi as my Heatkiller has 1155 tabs on it now.

New shinies:

And what the 760T looks like out of the box:

I love the big acrylic side on this case. I know Dmitry was concerned about the flexibility of the door, but it stays closed 99.5 percent of the time so I'm not too concerned.

I figured I'd dig in the closet to see if my old A50 air cooler would fit, lo and behold it did!

Oh, yeah. So you can see the color scheme on the mobo, black and white. I figured I'd stay with that throughout the whole build, thus the monochrome mania moniker. It's not quite as catchy as the Sugar Cube 540 I built, but hey you get what you pay for.

So, mounted in and almost ready to press power to see if all the new shinies work:

Ignore the cable routing mess, this is a test. And it works, because I'm typing on it. A couple hiccups trying to set the boot device to the SSD instead of the stupid UEFI shell, but I got it sorted. OCCT tops out at 58-60 degrees on all 6 cores, so it's fine for playing the Witcher 3 while I figure out where my loop will go.

Speaking of which, I intend for this to eventually be my first hard-line watercooling build. I have the pipe in a corner of my office. I'll probably get the loop going on flex tubing to twist the CPU's tail in the next week or two. Hard lines will have to wait until I see what's happening with the new GPU launches. I don't want to pipe in a last gen card if I'm going to change it anyways.

Thanks for dropping by. I'm headed to the Yukon in a couple days, so nothing much further will happen until next week.
Old June 17, 2015, 10:07 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome stuff! Be sure to let us know what it clocks like under water :)
Old June 17, 2015, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ooooo shiny!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old June 18, 2015, 01:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I think I should do a fresh install of Windows, seeing as this is my 3rd mobo on this install since January. (2x Z97 boards, and now the X99). The 6-core at 3.5 Ghz stock is noticeably slower loading Windows than the 4.4 Ghz 4790K I was running. I was SO tempted to hit the OC Genie button last night just to see what happens, but I need better cooling before I do that. The A50's cooling is pretty much identical to the Coolermaster 212+, and I'm not sure I want to push it too hard before I get it under water.

If I wasn't packing tonight to leave tomorrow I'd be trying to shoehorn my WC loop in, but I'll have to be patient and wait until I get back.

BTW, do you know how hard it is to find DDR4 with white heatspreaders? I couldn't find any in North America. Good thing I have white paint.
Old June 18, 2015, 02:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Seems all enthusiast chipsets load windows slower than mainstream for some reason. Even my R5E/5930k at 4.5Ghz was slower than z87 4770k at 4.3Ghz. Kinda blows. Even heard that the Intel 750 SSD boots slow on x99.
Old July 6, 2015, 11:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I fixed my windows loading slowdown with a "refresh" of 8.1. After 2 weekends away I finally had a bit of time yesterday so I dug out my WC parts. I changed the insert and jet plate in the EVO to the recommended ones (it ships set up for LGA-115X), then started mucking around in the case. The first thing I did was go to mount my rad, but my #6-32 x 1 1/4" black oxide screws are too short because of the rubber mounting grommets on the top grille. So that frustrated me and I quit before I got too mad. I do have some longer screws, but they are chrome plated. They'll do temporarily.

So tonight I plan to mount the rad and figure out where to mount the pump/res combo. If that's straightforward then I can mount the CPU block, run some tubing and get this thing under water so I can see what it will do.

No pictures from last night, I'll make sure to post some tonight while I figure out whether to mount the pump on the mobo plate or on the front of the case. Between the heat and the smoke I wasn't too inspired yesterday.
Old July 6, 2015, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice start. What kind of pump/reservoir/radiator you going with?
Old July 6, 2015, 01:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The pump is my old trusty Swiftech MCP655 vario with an EK D5 X-RES 100 top/res combo. I'll use that pump until it dies, it might outlast me. I looked at it last night, the manufacture date was June 2008. The rad I plan to use is a XSPC EX360 I bought last year for my Sugar Cube build, although I will check to see if my Feser TFC360 will fit. I don't think it will, but I'm going to try anyways. Scythe Gentle Typhoon fans.

The loop will be a temporary setup with old fittings and soft tubing while I save up my fun money for a 980Ti. I don't want to put hard lines and a block on the 780Ti because I'm planning on getting rid of it.

Last edited by SugarJ; July 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old July 6, 2015, 10:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had to say something about the pump, didn't I. Moved the HDD cage to make room for the pump. Mounted the pump. Pulled the mobo, mounted the rad, mounted the CPU block on the mobo and reinstalled. Found my spare tubing, plumbed the loop, fired the PSU and the pump doesn't spin. Tried it on 3 different molex connectors just in case.

Well, it took me 3 hours to get everything mounted and plumbed, and 20 minutes to pull it apart and put the air cooler back on. And now I just tested the damn pump on my bench and it spins up fine. Sigh. Must be a loose connection on the pump wiring somewhere. I shredded my fingers for nothing. It can sit until the weekend now. Oh the joys of custom loops!
Old July 7, 2015, 03:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They will drive you broke and crazy at the same time.

Maybe it's the glue on the pump that is the problem ... no wait, that's something else.