Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 7, 2008, 06:22 PM
Rookie

Default Antec 900 - Old Worklog i Did

Alright so im home from university now and in my free time through out the week or so i will be doing my case mod, this is what i've got so far. This is my first time trying any of this or using any of these types of tools so don't expect anything amazing

Case completely Gutted out.

PSU flipped upside down so i could get the measurements to cut a hole in the bottom for the fan to blow out.

Measurments all done, Hole saw blade in place for show.

Rest of the places taped off where i will be cutting holes

The little PCI slot guards panted Ultra Flat Black.

Holes Cut

This thing was a bitch to cut with a cordless drill by myself =( but i got it circular enough

PSU in bottom hole, fits pretty damn good

Just a Mock test to see how it looks and fits, still have to paint the inside.

Just a Mock test to see how it looks and fits, still have to paint the inside.

Inside Painted Black.

New HDD Mount, got rid of those big cases.

Everything plugged in and ready to go.

I think it turned out alright for my first go at anything like this.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:32 PM
Top Prospect

Awesome job!
The cable management and black makes the 900 look somewhat attractive (I have a bias against the 900). You may want to look into putting some rubber around the holes to save your cables from getting chopped by the metal...

BTW nice laptop (Sony SZ series, correct?) I'm setting up an SZ-120p for my sister at this very moment...

Old May 7, 2008, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I second the kudos on a job well done!!!

Not only offers excellent wire management, but the paint job looks great as well.

As far as rubber grommets go... those would work well, or you could try to find some of the plastic "teeth" edging. Or, if you can't find any of that... I've often wondered if the tool grip goop could be "painted" onto hole edges, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 16, 2008, 09:30 AM
Rookie

I liked the 900 before but with the black paint that looks nice. As for the edges maybe a small weatherstripping or something? Looks great man. Do you use just a standard spraypaint for it or is there something better?
Old May 18, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I almost went with a 900 when I built my new rig. I don't think that I would have had the cajones required to mod it out as well as you have done. Nice job!

The world is your oyster. Shuck away my friend, shuck away!
Old May 18, 2008, 02:02 PM
Allstar

Looks good but having the case sitting 2mm off the floor/desktop isn't going to allow heat to blow out through that bottom hole very well. I'd suggest adding some kind of feet to give you a good space to allow for air flow & raise that thing up abit right.
Old August 13, 2008, 07:47 PM
Rookie

I like your mounting idea on the HDDs may just copy that myself, nice!
Old August 14, 2008, 01:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Excellent job!

I am guessing this is the first time you have worked on a computer case and not your first time working with metal. If so you should consider a career in fabrication: tool and dye work or airframe mechanics.
Old August 14, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

Pretty, the cable management is real good, but the black paint shows out more. If you use some black wire loom on that ATX24 pin and/or the video card connectors, it will really match the black concept, avoid to see those multicolored wires just popping out.
Old August 14, 2008, 05:51 AM
Top Prospect

Very good job, I need a cable modding run like that.