Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2014, 01:36 PM
Rookie

Default | LUMO |

This build has been running for a couple of months already and,seeing as it was commented on in the latest video,I thought I would post it here in all its glory.

Thanks for looking! B NEGATIVE

Welcome everyone to a new log and let me introduce the willing participant,the In Win D Frame MINI!

After the S3,which is far too large for a LAN box like originally planned,I wanted a smaller footprint and something a bit more aesthetically pleasing,so,after seeing this gorgeous case at Computex,I made some inquiries at In Win and here is the result!

Some of you may have seen this case about and,if you follow any of my forum witterings,probably know already that I had this coming.
The case is a tubular spaceframe design made with Alu tube and,quite frankly,a mobo tray that is a structural grade piece of kit! The tempered glass is a lovely thing to see and is common place on all the high end In Win chassis.

Shall we have a walk round the case then?

You have never seen a mobo tray that thick,guarantee it!

You can have the PSU either way,up or down.

Massively thick HDD and SSD mounts.

Backside of the tray.

Tray out!

The whole tray is decluttered,this ITX case has ambition....

This mod is changing the standard ITX flavour into mATX!

As you can see,you get a substantial case for you money,the anodized frame is nice and well finished and no skimping on materials,Im looking forward to working on it......

First thing is to strip the anodizing ready for some lovely paint,I know I just praised the coating quality and it seems like it would be a waste to strip it but it will be worth it!

Also,sadly,that mobo tray is also going for a 25mm sandwich tray that will carry all the cabling,most of the watercooling routing and an integrated reservoir.
As always,the aim is a clean looking build,no faff or fluff but details to keep you entertained!

LET THE BUILD COMMENCE!!

Magoo insists that he is project lead on this.......He isnt but you know....he thinks he is.....

Old October 18, 2014, 02:31 PM

My System Specs

Fancy seeing you here.
Old October 18, 2014, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Fancy seeing you here.
Hey Low,this is where you lurk eh?

This weekend has consisted mainly of chemical burns and dust inhalation!
My favorite!!

I made a short video on how to strip the anodizing layer off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvE8...ature=youtu.be

But we all know you like pictures....

This will stay as a primer until I have finished with the mobo tray work,all the in-out of the board for test fits could damage the paint....I may gun the white base coat on if I get ahead and am feeling confident.

The next job for this weekend will be a mesh piece for the PSU mount,wrapping around the sides and the logo'd panel on the inside,the contrasting colour should make it more visual with the mesh adding a texture.

Once the PSU is painted as well,the depth effect should be nice...maybe a couple of LED's in each corner on the inside to light up the PSU would look good.
Old October 18, 2014, 10:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Great to see you here B Neg!!!
Old October 19, 2014, 12:46 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira749 View Post
Great to see you here B Neg!!!

Ah thanks Akira,Im being a 'get about'.....

So...I shrouded the PSU bay with modders mesh,in this instance,the 2mm hole variety. This should clean up the visible wiring while adding contrast and texture. Eventually,this will be in black/silver marble while the actual frame is Lumo yellow. The Enermax isnt staying,its just for show,the PSU is a BeQuiet Dark Power.

Once the PSU is painted as well,the depth effect should be nice...maybe a couple of LED's in each corner on the inside to light up the PSU would look good.

And...I started with the 2 SSD's. Corsair 120 and 240 Force GT SSD's recycled from my SR2,good drives that could never reach full speed in their previous home so I gave them new lease of life in LUMO instead.

Old October 19, 2014, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

nice. Looking forward to following the build.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old October 19, 2014, 10:21 AM
Rookie

And the graphics for the SSD's are done. I kept it very simple,using the existing Force GT logo and cutting a LUMO logo into it with a pinstripe....the pinstripe was a total bitch but it needed something to break up the yellow expanse.

These will be inset in to the mobo tray flush with the outer skin,you will not seen any cabling going to them. As the tray is black/silver marble,these are painted as accent pieces
Old October 19, 2014, 03:44 PM
Rookie

Aww man this is a cool case out of my price range but a cool case none the less. Can't wait to see what will be done to it.
Old October 19, 2014, 05:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks great so far!

In Win really does seem to be attempting to bring out some very unique cases that while they may not appeal to all, most folks would be hard pressed to dismiss.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 19, 2014, 07:48 PM
Top Prospect

DAAAMN