Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2014, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Default Project Orange Horizon (Parvum Systems S2.0)

banner by Rumikarimu

A few years ago, I was in another country and couldn't play any games (for 3 years)... When I came back to Canada (Quebec), I decided it was time to upgrade my gaming computer. I had a Q6600 with a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. The first thing I did was to upgrade the GPU with a R9 270X but I was still unhappy. I could still play my favorite game (TF2), but it was a little bit laggy with others like CoD Ghost (which we know is the most optimized game ever).

After seeing a few amazing custom builds, I decided to start my own project. At first, I wanted to go with a mITX with a Caselabs S3. I loved Snef's Purple Chimera and really wanted to go with that case. After a few researches, I found it was quite hard and expensive to get a Caselabs in QC... The project that really pushed me*to build my own computer was the Titanfall project by Jameswalt1. Then, one day, I found an amazing deal on a UK website for the Parvum Systems S2 case and decided to jump in the water.

Long story short, I have almost completed my build and wanted to show you what I had done. This was my first build so I made a few mistakes... Overall, I'm still happy with the end-result but I'm interested to know what you think!

Table of contentsMain parts
  • CPU: i5-4690K
  • Motherboard: Asus Gryphon Z97
  • Memory: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum CL9
  • Video card: evga GTX 780TI 3GB Superclocked
  • Storage: Samsung Evo 500GB
  • PSU: Corsair AX860i
  • Cooling: Custom Loop (Acrylic)

Custom Build Of The Month
Final Pictures

Additional details can be found here

Last edited by easynator; October 18, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old October 2, 2014, 08:13 PM
Rookie

The case
I selected the Parvum Systems S2 case because I found it quite original compared to other cases. In addition, I had the option to take my favorite color which saved me some paint work... I ordered the case from, the UK when it was on sale...

The process
I found interesting that Parvum doesn't provide build instruction in a paper format to assemble the case. Instead, they refer you to a video on youtube so you just have to watch & stop to assemble the case.*

The photos

Old October 2, 2014, 08:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"Sub-zero" Cool looking PC!
Old October 3, 2014, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Holy ******* Raz3r D3sk!!!

Your Project Orange Horizon is really impeccable too. Congratulations on the honourable mentions in that article. I never knew people modded their PC's to such an extent until I joined here a few weeks ago!

Seeing all this makes me want to go visit my bank and embark on such an adventure!
Old October 3, 2014, 04:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
"Sub-zero" Cool looking PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeowkey View Post
Holy ******* Raz3r D3sk!!!

Your Project Orange Horizon is really impeccable too. Congratulations on the honourable mentions in that article. I never knew people modded their PC's to such an extent until I joined here a few weeks ago!

Seeing all this makes me want to go visit my bank and embark on such an adventure!
Thank you to both of you :)
Old October 3, 2014, 04:40 AM
Rookie

The memory

The process
This is how I "painted" my light bar for the Corsair Dominator Platinum.
  • Take the crystal light bar;
  • Use a marker and "paint" the bars; and
  • Voilà!

The recommendation
I would recommend to put the light bar into some kind of DYE solution instead of using a marker for a better result.

The photos

Old October 4, 2014, 04:28 AM
Rookie

The CPU water block

The process
I didn't pick the CPU water block for its performance, I really bought them for the look. I considered painting the mounting plate in orange but changed my mind while assembling the parts together.

The photos

Old October 4, 2014, 04:29 AM
Rookie

The motherboard
I decided to go with the Asus Gryphon motherboard because I could use the armor/thermal kit to cover the motherboard.

Some people asked me if both pieces were compatible since I was mixing a Z87 component with a Z97. I read on a few forums they would be working together but had never seen the final result so I still decided to move ahead and try it. They clip perfectly. You don't even have to mod the armor kit!

The process
Painting the armor kit was easy but I made a big mistake... For some reasons, I thought I had bought a glossy white but realized, after I added the coats, that it was a clear coat instead. That's why the armor kit doesn't shy like it should. It's basically the white from the primer...

This is what I did:
  • Prime; and
  • 4 coats of clear coat.

But I should have done this:
  • Prime;
  • 2 coats of white; and
  • 3 coats of clear coat.

The photos

Old October 4, 2014, 06:09 AM
Rookie

I don't really know what happened here, but my first post was deleted I think...
Old October 4, 2014, 06:33 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by easynator View Post
I don't really know what happened here, but my first post was deleted I think...
New posts for new users need to be approved. For some reason if you edit the first post of a new thread before it gets approved it doesn't show up. Checking to see how this is fixed.

Tags
780ti , acrylic , customloop , parvum , watercooling