Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2014, 03:38 PM
Rookie

Default ReaperN1's DarkSide Custom Case Build

I come from a design background, primarily in additive and subtractive manufacturing. Throughout the years I've modded just about everything I can get my hands on. It's been a bit since I've built a desktop computer but, thats all about to change. I stumbled upon a few modded cases online and ever since, I've been hooked.

My first thought was to check out all the 3D printed custom mods online and I found one case that was done by ShapeWays. Needless to say, I wasn't all that impressed. The possibilities are almost endless with a 3D printer at your disposal. After discovering the lack of 3D printed mods, I decided it was time to come out of retirement and build the best modded case I could.

Custom building 3D printers has given me a ton of usable skills in my modders tool belt. I have lots of custom fab experience as well as years of prototyping experience. With almost ever custom build I've done, the plans rest within my head. These plans always evolve as the project progresses.

I'm also doing this on a budget and I mean a tight budget. I see so many cases that you can just tell money was thrown at it and I didn't want this to be one of them. I don't have the best parts in the world but hey, isn't this about what can be done to the design of the case. Molding a combination of cutting edge design with functionality

So if seeing some new things done in case modding is your idea of a good time than join me on this journey into the modding abiss.

Planned Mods:

Custom top cover with futuristic/modern styling.

Custom sleeved wiring with an extensive cable management setup.

Completely redesigned side panels with added acrylic set on standoffs.

Custom built, hinged doors and top cover.

Slide open top with fans and hard drive mounts moved to top.

Painted & modded PSU was moved from top left to bottom right. 2-3" bent tubing to exhaust all PSU heated air out the side via ducts.

Removed all hard drive cages from donor case. Custom cut down optic drive mount.

New panel cutouts in the MB tray with 3D printed pass throughs. (Might build a custom slide out mobo tray)

Sliding rail system for optical drives and spare HD space.

Scratch built fan controller using an Arduino Uno or Mega. As well as an LCD to monitor system operating conditions.

Top acrlyic mounted dual 250 gig Western Digital SATA drives. (Scratch built cooling)

Negative Pressure cooling system with filters and sound dampening mount. (Complete custom designed airflow and cooling system that uses only air management)

Extensive cable management design with parts designed specifically for this build. (3D printed parts FDM out of Nylon or Carbon Fiber reinforced filament)

Modded Logic Sys keyboard with built in touch screen. (Also has wifi, card reader and windows mobile 6.0 OS)

Scratch built acrylic hard drive mounts. (2x Western Digital SATA drives 250 GB)

Extensive air cooling system and fully vented outer case shell.

4x 70mm rad mountable fan mounts (Custom designed dual fan mounts)

Full re paint of case and inner shell (As of now colors will be: white, grey, black and orange. As well as a few carbon fiber parts)

Top mounted ribcage with 2 x 80mm cooling fans for hard drives.

Reaper logo custom 3D printed in a few small locations.

Main Comp Parts Being Used:

Gigabyte Motherboard with PCI Express. Socket 775, accepts two types of ram on the same board. Custom Built cooling added with heat pipes, tough cover custom designed, ram cooling system and custom wired reset/power switches.)

Digital sound card with multi-channel support.

2 x 250 GIG Western Digital hard drives and at least two other WD drives. (possible RAID or custom mirror config)

PCI-Express Video Card (Scratch built cooling)

Here's essentially where I'm starting after a little disassembly:

For the full original build log visit: [Case Mod]??Reaper N1's (Dark Side)??Custom-3D printed parts
Attached Images

Last edited by ReaperN1; September 26, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old September 13, 2014, 08:54 PM

My System Specs

Welcome to HWC.

Hmm. Interested to see how this goes.
Old September 13, 2014, 09:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking forward to seeing how the 3D printed bits work out. Welcome!
Old September 16, 2014, 05:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the welcoming words. I should have some updates ready soon.