Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2014, 09:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Desk Design build, i need a new desk

Hello everyone

i need to change my desk, currently have a 5 by 2.2 foot slab of a desk.

been looking around and couldn't find a desk i liked saw some concepts for some cool modular desk witch got me thinking, what if i build one my self.

anyone every use a or make a desk like this

been working on the design for 2 days, getting most of the dimensions as accurate as possible. the left side arm rest shelf is on a swivel to allow easy in and out of the lazy boy chair i use :D, been looking for a slide out with tilt/lowering mechanism for the keyboard tray, and i know the screens are off center, its by design.

been looking at what kind of wood to use, never made such a big piece of furniture.

those are the screens and cases i am using, i scaled the mouse and keyboard to match what i am using.
Attached Images

My Boinc Stats
Old May 31, 2014, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Could always wall mount the monitors and eliminate one shelf. Depending on the humidity in your area should help you choose your wood and if you are planning hardwood you'll need some pretty high end tools with the correct blades etc. Alternatively you could use any variant of k3 board and finish it with any material you want (might be cheaper) Laminate it with Oak or something else. Get the hardwood look for 1/4 the cost.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old June 15, 2014, 06:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

currently looking at making it out of Birch, i don't have a ton of choices in my area, i could get MDF, but veneers are stupidly expensive in my area,

got a new design for the desk, i think it will look perty good, give it a little green & green flair with the desk top finger joints poking out

doing it in mdf i would need 2 sheets(46$/sheet) 100$ + an other 100 in veneers(maybe more) so why not make it in hardwood

1 inch thick birch would cost me about 275$ in wood plus 50-75$ in stains and a few new bits for my tools. so wy the hell not, already got most of the tools, only thing i am missing is a mortising chisel, but i can just use my router. planing building it all using mechanical joints to not use screws, keep it old style, mortise and tenons, finger joints, maybe some dove tails, still debating using a modern slide track for the left shelf or go old school and just use a wood on wood drawer style sliding shelf.
Attached Images

My Boinc Stats
Old June 15, 2014, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2nd render is more appealing I think.

The more think things through the better it be to you.
Old June 15, 2014, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

with lazyboy chair ... need more depth for your legs in recline position
Old June 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mdf sucks......

Use real wood, even pine is better.
Old June 16, 2014, 03:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

waste of money on mdf will blister in damp area

and is very heavy compare to pine
Old June 16, 2014, 06:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

there should be 32 inches of clearance between the chair and wall, i only recline when watching movies so not a big deal, its what i currently have with my current desk and chair. been thinking of a way to put the chair on some kind of rails to get it to slide in and out, would be epic heh

i did give up on the mdf, i just mentioned it due to its cost wouldn't be worth it, i could build it out of pin for a little savings, but i prefer birch, red oak would be nice, but would cost me around 100$ more in wood. been thinking of putting a little stain to get it a chocolate brown to match my man cave

was thinking of just building the pc case inside the desk but rather keep it separate for now, i really like the design and might just finish up with the joinery designs and do a final calculation on the wood i need and maybe purchase it all this week. to start building it next weekend, got 2 nice 4 day weekends coming up next 2 weeks, plus vacation time to build the desk. spend this weekend dusting off the tools, gona need to clean up the old garage to make some room hehe.

still got some stuff to figure out, my old chair is 2 inch lower then newer ones, so i am thinking of a way to increase the height of the desk(got an idea already), and some way to adjust the side shelf's to accommodate different chair heights

My Boinc Stats
Old June 16, 2014, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly that looks pretty good. If I was building it I would probably ditch the step up below the monitors. Could consider putting one of the towers (or other parts) under the main table forward of the mouse area (you won't be getting in and out on that side, so its unused space). It could allow the side piece to be built more narrow.
Old June 16, 2014, 08:42 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

i did the step down to get more clearance under the monitors, on my current desk i never put anything in front the monitors because they hide the screens, without the step down the screens are really low, only 3 inches above the desktop, my current chair is really low compared to newer ones so that might change, but i want to keep the desk narrower then my current desk, witch is 90% wasted space because of the monitors. plus that little higher spot will be a nice fit for my modem, switch, audio devices, hdd enclosures and keep them out of the way.

the entire desk might be lifted an extra 2 inches to help me insure better compatibility with newer chairs too. might put the server or router case under the desk, not a bad idea, that or maybe a shelf or 2.

My Boinc Stats