Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18, 2014, 08:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Looks good. I would also enlarge the keyboard tray for the mouse for ergonomic reasons. The side tables are nice and will be handy for drinks and whatnot. But I would think about how easy/hard it is to get in and of that lazy boy since you can't roll back or swivel your chair easily but that might be just me. Same reason why I made sure the desk legs aren't anywhere near my chair.

I would suggest not using MDF if you can afford it. It's really worth it to go better wood. MDF is just bad stuff. You deserve to have a decent mancave :)

I used 3/4" baltic birch plywood with a clear water-based finish. I doubled up the perimeter of the ply to a total of 1.5" to give it rigidity. I wanted to keep it clean and minimal. I have it span 7' with no cross brace or extra legs. The 30" x 7' table-top is about 150lbs

I had pips cut to the height I want and used those for legs.

Here is a picture with my mancave in progress.

Last edited by architect; June 18, 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old June 18, 2014, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

When my old desktop was wearing out, my dad put this together for me in about 3 hours and with about $30 in construction grade lumber.

He planed down the top side, and ran it through once for the bottom. we then stained it for th look it has now.

Other than it drying out and cracking near the back, it's still is excellent condition. All the pieces are dovetailed together with the side pieces there to help holding it in a strong format. I would recommend that if you do something like this, you should let the wood dry fully, and then start working it so you don't end up with the cracking I had.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old June 18, 2014, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

looking good there

i was also looking at Baltic birch plywood, i think it looks good too, but probably stick with birch, but still debating how am gona finish it, birch is always a pain to stain and finish properly.

my current chair is modified to glide easy on the floor, and looking at making it swivel :D , and the keyboard tray moves up and down, so when in use its at the same height as the mouse, like my current setup but the mouse is 6 inch away from the keyboard, with this one i hope to get the mouse much closer, plus the mouse shelf it self will be somewhat adjustable

My Boinc Stats
Old June 18, 2014, 05:01 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Yeah plywood was quite easy to work with which attracted me to it (in addition to its rigidity). But the laminate splinters quite bad when cutting.
Old June 18, 2014, 07:22 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

yeah you need to use back boards(sacrificial boards on the edge) when doing cuts, prevents most the of the splintering

My Boinc Stats
Old June 19, 2014, 03:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

or use fine tooth carbide blade (80 tooth) light (shallow) cuts
Old June 19, 2014, 07:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Other plywood top.