Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2014, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Default Build Log] h2O Blü ice (Lian Li Pc-a71f) First timer. Completed.

The story:

The addiction of building computers has brought me to the next phase, water-cooling. Looking at everyones build, creativity, beauty inspired me to do one of my very own. I could probably first track my spark from Linus's personal rig when he pulled out the Frozen Q helix Res. I thought to myself wow, that's gonna look so bad ass, then he started to powder coat his case, i thought to myself why would he do that, after 1000's of youtube videos, and browsing forums, i understood why. I started to follow people on youtube such as linus, bill owens, singularitycomputers and such, and i just couldnt sit and watch any longer, i found a 7970 locally for $200 CAD and he tossed in the GPU block and backplate, this is where it turned for the worse. At this point i started to make a list of parts i wanted to get for my loop. Being the noob i am, i had to go back to square one and start to watch/read more information on actually putting together a custom loop, the do's and don'ts. I didnt want to waste time or money screwing things up. Locally i found an HX1000 for $25, then found a 7990 for $350, i ended up selling it for $850 (this would fund my build), from the same person i sold it to, he is mining coins and such and has multiple cards in his case, so he said he was going to buy a 1000 watt psu, i looked in his case and saw he had an AX860i, so i told him id trade him since i dont need the 1000W. Lucky for me i have access to a fair amount of tools i would need for this project and a roll of aluminum that is laying around from the shed my family built a few years ago. As i finish posting this topic my first journey will start on custom loops, and case modding.

The plan:

Cut hole at top of the case to fit a 360 rad
Cut a window on side panel (unsure of what i decide to make the window look like)
Make shroud/panel to cover PSU and pump
Either get rid of the hard drive bays, or make a shroud to cover it completely.
Plasti-Dip the case white.(using plastidip cause the brushed aluminum finish looks bad ass still and id like to salvage it if i dont like the white anymore)
Sleeve the cables using paracord (i will be making my own paracord threader since lutro0 and Frozencpu are sold out)

The parts:

Cpu: i7 3770k
Mobo: Asus P8z77-v
ram: 16 gb 4x4 Kingston Hyper X 1600
SSD: Samsung Evo 250gb (OS, Video/Photo Editting)
Secondary SSD: Intel 520 120gb (gaming)
Storage: 2x 1tb WD black raid 1
1x 1.5 tb Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm
PSU: Corsair AX860i
GPU: XFX HD 7970 Black edition (reference)
Cooling: Corsair H80
Case: Lian li PC-a71f

Watercooling:

H2o Cooling:
Ek 7970 block + back plate Received
Monsoon chain gun compressions Received
Ek Cpu block acetal Ordered
pump swiftech 655 Ordered
120mm Frozen Q double helix res Ordered
Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Triple 120mm Radiator - Custom Painted White undecided
primochill tubing undecided
lutroO paracord for sleeving (waiting on atx pin remover and paracord treader to be in stock) Pending

Colour Scheme Blue, White.

Anyone have any input (negative/positive, preferably constructive) before i start cutting holes and ordering the rad, sleeves, tubing, colour scheme, sleeving color scheme let me know please.
I have room in the front for a 240 rad, but i don't think i want to intake hot air from the rad, thoughts?

Last edited by Kyaku; May 29, 2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:08 PM
Rookie

Heres some work done so far, still need to cut the top of the case then paint it all.

Heres the colour scheme i went with for the sleeving.

Next update.

Heres a small update, some pics of the rad hole i cut at the top, pictures of the shroud being made, and most of the parts arrived, This week i'll be painting while waiting for the final parts which are the pump top, fans, tubing. Hopefully ill be completely done at the end of the week. Excuse the watermark at the right corner, i forgot to change that in lightroom.

Top of the case after filing

Working on the shroud, bending aluminum is a bitch

Half the Sleeving Done

Just finished cutting the top.

Most of the parts for the cooling loop

Closer look

The new v3, hopefully its awesome

The res

The shroud almost complete

The outside of the case getting ready to be painted.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You may want to get a washable marker that writes on metal and mark out your Ideas on the case.
Dummy up the panels you want to make fore fitment in card stock or bristol board.

Play with your Ideas first. Its a nice canvas to work on.

Edit: Mnpctech's Guide to Tools For Case Modding.

Look in here should help. :)

Last edited by ZZLEE; April 1, 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old April 1, 2014, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
You may want to get a washable marker that writes on metal and mark out your Ideas on the case.
Dummy up the panels you want to make fore fitment in card stock or bristol board.

Play with your Ideas first. Its a nice canvas to work on.

Edit: Mnpctech's Guide to Tools For Case Modding.

Look in here should help. :)
haha, yeah i wasnt done posting, i was gonna post some updated version, ive already done the cuts etc...
Old April 5, 2014, 04:11 AM
Rookie

Pics

Heres the colour scheme i went with for the sleeving.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5489/1...1cb57263_z.jpg

Heres a small update, some pics of the rad hole i cut at the top, pictures of the shroud being made, and most of the parts arrived, This week i'll be painting while waiting for the final parts which are the pump top, fans, tubing. Hopefully ill be completely done at the end of the week. Excuse the watermark at the right corner, i forgot to change that in lightroom.

Top of the case after filing

Working on the shroud, bending aluminum is a bitch

Half the Sleeving Done

Just finished cutting the top.

Most of the parts for the cooling loop

Closer look

The new v3, hopefully its awesome

The res

The shroud almost complete

The outside of the case getting ready to be painted.
Old April 29, 2014, 01:41 PM
Rookie

unfortunately my girlfriend accidentally formatted the CF card with all my painting Log, so i only have the post painting photos now, im 90% done now, just waiting for a last shipment from LutroO Customs for some sleeving i ended up running out on. It'll be in this week. So i do have some photos of the motherboard shield i painted, the case and back plate etc... And some leak testing, i bought used fans which turned out not to work :angry:. So i ended up buying some sickleflows instead, the whole fan process was a pain because after installing them, i found out they were 35mm fans ( the muffin Dc's) so had to buy 6-32 2 inches, cause they didnt make 1.75 inches, and bought a bunch of washers to fill the extra gap, after i started to leak test the system, i found out the fans werent working, so i hard to drain it, and redo it all....Lucky thing is i sprung a leak while leak testing, found out these res have to a certain way, so i HAVE to have the inlet and outlet at the bottom and the fillport top, so i had to flip it around, cause it was causing a whirlpool effect, also it sprung a leak at the bottom cap, after flipping it around, it stopped leaking, but i cant fill the res to the top or it will leak from the fill port side cap, so much headaches. Heres the photos of the progress.

Heres the mobo i upgraded to, my old mobo was having problems.

This is with the old fans

Mounted old res position

Gpu mounted, you can see the backplate painted in this photo

Running the tubing in this photo

installing the homemade shroud

With the window installed

Leak testing with new fans and new res position

Ill have completed project later this week, when i get my sleeving in, Sorry for the long wait.
Old April 30, 2014, 08:41 AM

My System Specs

Is this your first larger case mod?

Great case choice for modding. Especially if you were able snag it when they were super cheap.
Old April 30, 2014, 08:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Is this your first larger case mod?

Great case choice for modding. Especially if you were able snag it when they were super cheap.
Its my first mod in general lol. I bought it second hand for $80 Canadian actually.

Ive seen your thread, its honour to have you here hehe, i love your work.
Old April 30, 2014, 01:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice work on the case Kyaku. Where did you get it from?
Old April 30, 2014, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Nice work on the case Kyaku. Where did you get it from?
Thanks =], i bought it from a local craigslist type of site called kijiji.com ........... just realized hardware canucks is canadian lol... so i assume you're familiar with it?