Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2014, 05:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Ouranos mItx

Hi guys!

I have posted here before with other builds, that never seemed to come to fruition, or shape up the way I had expected them to. THIS is different... For the first time, I actually got MOST of what I wanted, and am super happy with the results.

Why name it Ouranos? BACK in the day (5 yrs ago), I went to a LAN party with my buds, and we all decided that we would name our computers after Greek Gods/Titans.... So the names stuck.

** I didn't do any mods for once, so this is a pretty vanilla build **

First off, the specs....

Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz (for now)
MSI z87i Gaming AC mItx motherboard
8gb G Skill Trident X 2400mhz 10-12-12-31 Ram
550w Seasonic G series Gold PSU
1tb Seagate Barracuda HDD
240gb Kingston Hyper X 3k SSD
Corsair h80i
EVGA Superclocked GTX 760
Coolermaster Elite 130

All my previous builds used my old i5 2500k (which I sold a year ago to pay for school), and I always wanted an i7.... SO now, when i finally had the spare change, I bought it... So far, its everything I wanted... The whole PC is, fast, and game ready. Ive also never had a really good graphics card. The best card I had was a gtx 470, and that struggled on some things. The gtx 760 is excellent from what I have used it for so far.

Problems with this build: With this case, and the watercooler, you are not able to mount the second fan to the h80i. You can, but you lose the HDD space beside the mobo and the hidden ssd space under the 5.25" drive bay.

Possible future mods: The only thing I can think of would be to take the 5.25" drive bay out.... but I doubt i'll do it.

Anyway, on to the pics!!! I wont pretend to be an expert PC builder.... Nor a photographer. I know these pics dont do it justice, but they are the best I can do!!! (I got a Nikon L27 on sale for 50$ so I thought what the heck)

First things first.... Gut the insides of everything I can.

THe coolest heatsink ever.... IMO

Lil tight.... BUT, thats why I went with watercooling..... No hyper 212 in there..

Just a size comparision... Thats a Dell inspiron 15r SE... I love mItx

TONS of room for a longer GRFX card. It actualy stays pretty cool. Was worried about it not being blower style, but it is so quiet, even under load.... LOVE

All those cables have to go somewhere.... Fortunately, the air has plenty of clear space to go from the rad to exhaust out the PSU.. THANK GOD

Just the I/O panel.... I really like that its black.... Small things...

Cant believe how dirty everything is already :( Blame it on the animals...

So yes... thats basically it. It was really fun to build, and it performs equally as well. I cant forsee any builds in the near future.... Though if I do, watch BST for this rig ;)

Thanks for checkin it out!

Sold Items:
Steelseries Siberia V2 to MAK
Zalman Fan Controller, OCZ Mem Fan Funguseater

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old February 25, 2014, 05:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like a decent "little" gamer. What did you think of the Elite 130?

And yeah.... mITX rocks. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 25, 2014, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Elite 130 was really easy to work in.. Once you take the side HDD mount and 80mm fan out it really opens up. I have 0 exp with any other mItx case, but this seems to make the most sense, to me at least. Everything is streamlined and just makes sense.

If I had to change anything in it, it would only be getting a better GPU haha

Sold Items:

Lots of bad things happen in life all the time. You can't control them, so just be happy!
Old February 25, 2014, 06:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The only thing I didn't really like when working with the 130 was that I had to pretty much take half the case apart to get the side HDD/SDD mount off. IIRC it has thumb screws, but then is too tall to be able to slide out of the case without removing the fan mount and the round center stability post/bar.

Aside from that... I think the only thing I'd look at changing would be getting rid of the 5 1/4 bay so that they could drop a good 2" off of the height.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 25, 2014, 07:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah, you need to take the fan off, which is 3 or 4 screws in itself, then take the 4 screws out of the side to get the bracket off.. BUT, I will give the case that it is super solid without the bracket.

Definitely. And remove the USB 2.0 port.... I could live with 1 less TBH haha

Sold Items:

Old February 25, 2014, 07:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trocko View Post
yeah, you need to take the fan off, which is 3 or 4 screws in itself, then take the 4 screws out of the side to get the bracket off.. BUT, I will give the case that it is super solid without the bracket.

Definitely. And remove the USB 2.0 port.... I could live with 1 less TBH haha
Heh... the build I did was with a motherboard that didn't have a USB 3.0 header on it so I had to order a 3.0 (case side) -> 2.0 (motherboard side) header adapter so that all of my front usb were live.

Old February 25, 2014, 07:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

AHH ahaha, funny story.... I plugged the USB 3 header into the mobo, but had to remove it again to try and managae the rats nest... It took a lot of force to come out, so i thought it was just a really tight connector.... NOPE, i pulled the entire connector off the mobo.... I plugged it back in, and it still works.... but it was freaky hah

I thought about cutting the USB 2 cable off, since I honestly dont need it. The motherboard only has 1 USB header too, and corsair link is using it. I ALSO cut the front audio cables off..... I am weird and dont like cables sticking off the front of my case. Maybe a lil OCD. Front ports are for USB sticks... hehe :)

Sold Items:

Old February 26, 2014, 10:05 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

nice and clean
Old March 22, 2014, 09:36 AM
Rookie

Default Some questions

Hi Trocko,

I have finally found someone with the Elite 130 and the MSI Gaming AC motherboard. : )
Iím planning to do the same build except for the graphic card and PSU.

Is the back of the PSU not in the way of the WIFI antennas of the MSI motherboard?

Would the "MSI GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR OC" graphic card fit into your build?
The length of your card is 24,1 cm and the length of the MSI card is 26 cm if Iím not mistaken.
Old March 24, 2014, 03:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeah it would totally fit, and pm'd you :) or rather, responded hah

Sold Items: