Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2014, 06:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Corsair C70 Watercooled

So, I started putting together the computer over the weekend. Was working on some LED lighting like RomeoKilo did on his case. It turned out ok, but nothing like Romeo's acrylic glow. It seems brighter in the pictures and less blue. I'm getting some light runoff as you can see on the case floor and vertical radiator. Not a major deal. I may add a strip of LED on the top rad running across to shed some light on the video cards hopefully.

I decided to go all out and scrap the 5.25 bay. I am going to figure out a way to mount a fan controller in my full acrylic window at the top right, hopefully flush with the window. Can't afford to go all PWM now as I already have the regular Corsair SP fans.

It seems I cannot fit compressions fittings with room on the video cards vertically. I may have to purchase a bridge instead. The GPU's came with a dual bridge, but I need one for a triple slot. :( If I were to get a bridge should I get clear or black?

I will be mounting the Raystorm block once I clean off the paste. I cut a small hole for the front IO connectors like Romeo did. Easy enough and fits the Power,Reset, HDD LED etc perfectly. I don't use front panel audio, so no need to drill another hole for that.

Cable management is going to be a little tougher since the 5.25 bay isn't there to block the unsightly mess that I used to have. More finesse will have to be used.

I am going to order a few 45 adapters for a few spots. I have all straight compression fittings and I really think a few 45's would really clean up the hose.

Bitspower Multi Z 150 Reservoir and EK pump top I will be picking up in a couple days second hand. Couldn't pass it up. I will be mounting it beside the motherboard. I'll be using Primochill Red LRT tubing and Distilled water. I may add some dye down the road if I'm bored of looking at a clear res. :D

I would really appreciate any advice you guys have. I wanted to finish this build two weeks ago, but I decided to give myself the time to do it right. I still need a couple things. I need some fan splitters, which seem impossible to find in person. They have to be ordered unfortunately. And some 45 adapters.

Whats a cheap and effective way to make a drain port? Just get a 3 way fittings and cap an end off on the port of the RX360?
Old January 20, 2014, 11:21 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yep. Drive bays are for sissies.

You've got the right idea on the drain port.
Old January 21, 2014, 06:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
Yep. Drive bays are for sissies.

You've got the right idea on the drain port.
Thanks for the confirmation on the drain port. I was feeling empty inside after seeing all these guys running expensive QD's or ball detent drain plugs. Too expensive for something I'm going to use once a year. :D
Old January 21, 2014, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good man! I might be back on time to supply you with 45s and 90s lol. If you like I could bring over a soldering iron to help you splice your own fans adapters.
Old January 21, 2014, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
Looks good man! I might be back on time to supply you with 45s and 90s lol. If you like I could bring over a soldering iron to help you splice your own fans adapters.
Thanks for the support bud.

I actually found a wood burner in storage I used for other applications and realized it has a dual purpose. I bought some solder and connected the LED's strips over the weekend. Only two melted fingers in the process. :)

Splicing some fan adapters eh? What materials do I need to start with for that?

How's Montreal? :)
Old January 21, 2014, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL, get a $15 soldering iron from radio shack, even those would be better.

Heat shrink (or electrical tape if you're too cheap), solder.
That's it.... cut up the ones that came with your fan so you can splice them all to a single 4-pin molex.

Or buy this and wait 2 months for delivery :)
5V Molex Plug 4 Way 3 Pin Quiet Cool Fan Splitter Cable | eBay

MTL is good. Just about done my project... got some sight seeing in on the weekend, and now it's to cold to do anything else outside. I always end up in MTL during the winter...
Old January 21, 2014, 11:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoob View Post
LOL, get a $15 soldering iron from radio shack, even those would be better.

Heat shrink (or electrical tape if you're too cheap), solder.
That's it.... cut up the ones that came with your fan so you can splice them all to a single 4-pin molex.

Or buy this and wait 2 months for delivery :)
5V Molex Plug 4 Way 3 Pin Quiet Cool Fan Splitter Cable | eBay

MTL is good. Just about done my project... got some sight seeing in on the weekend, and now it's to cold to do anything else outside. I always end up in MTL during the winter...
Ya, I probably should get a proper solder iron. I had to reshape the woodburner tip with a dremel because it deformed from the heat. :)

I actually need more + - wire because I ran out trying to solder the wire properly. The wire I had from a bunch of connectors was so cheap the wiring would fall apart in my hand trying to twist it.

I may have to place an order with Dazmode for something like this:

https://www.dazmode.com/store/produc...ter-jet-black/

I'm just hesitant to place an order right now because I know there will be something I need. Right now I'm looking to order:

1 x 3 fan splitter
1 x 4 fan splitter (to control rear intake also)
Bitspower 3-way Fitting (for drain)
EK Bridge (Maybe. May just use fittings with EK Links. Might need more fittings though)

Still scouring Dazmode for things I want, but don't need. :D

P.S. It's freezing today. Thank god for the sun or else I wouldn't have gone out this morning to get a coffee. :D
Old January 21, 2014, 12:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

New pics. :D

Old January 22, 2014, 08:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Finally got my pump top and reservoir. Doing some test fitting in the rig. Going to have to dremel some of the lip off the motherboard tray to the left of the reservoir to get the bottom right screw hole mount to sit flush with the case.

It seems I will only be able to screw in the pump top using the right screw hole as the left screw hole is in the rubber grommet area where he PSU cables go. Guess I will add some double sided tape to the top mount for added stability. I doubt I will have to worry about it moving around. :D

I am going to purchase a 1/4 male to male connector to connect the pump and res.

Should I buy a bridge to connect the gpu's or just get some 90 fittings and cross connect them from bottom left port to top right in serial?

Old January 23, 2014, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am trying to figure out how to run my loop and incorporate the motherboard ports into the equation. Here is something I drew up, but not loving the arrangements. Any suggestions?