Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2014, 04:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... I was thinking of this just yesterday while walking through the hardware store.... ;)

Another possibility would be mounting magnetic latches (typically for glass doors on stereo stands) internally to the case and then using thin metallic strips on the case side.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 29, 2014, 07:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdoorknob View Post
Have you made any progress on this? I am considering doing the same thing. Magnetic strip seems like the best option, as long as you can get it flush and somewhat sealed on all sides.
I haven't put a whole lot of thought into it yet as I am just finishing the watercooling loop. The Window is last to be done.

I'm liking the idea of using some kind of magnetic strip or as Sswilson said, magnetic latches from glass doors. I actually really like this idea the more I think about it. Only problem is the magnetic tape is going to be noticeable through the acrylic. Unless the magnetic tape spans the entire perimeter of the acrylic window, it won't really look uniform, especially being a colour difference from tape to case.
Old February 3, 2014, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Hi there.

I just went to home depot and picked up a sheet of acrylic to do this myself. I think I have found the best way to attach it without doing anything crazy. I used the magnetic strip method.

I only had extremely weak magnets so I had to use a lot. I put the sticky side of the magnet strip on the border of the acrylic and made use of the fact that the case is made of metal. The strips that I used were pretty thick but it still fits just shy of perfectly flush.

So yeah I think magnets will be your best option, and thank you for the idea! I'm looking forward to seeing your completed build with this
Old February 4, 2014, 06:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Hi there.

I just went to home depot and picked up a sheet of acrylic to do this myself. I think I have found the best way to attach it without doing anything crazy. I used the magnetic strip method.

I only had extremely weak magnets so I had to use a lot. I put the sticky side of the magnet strip on the border of the acrylic and made use of the fact that the case is made of metal. The strips that I used were pretty thick but it still fits just shy of perfectly flush.

So yeah I think magnets will be your best option, and thank you for the idea! I'm looking forward to seeing your completed build with this
Please post pictures if you can. I am sure we would all love to see the results. :D

The acrylic window I bought doesn't quite sit flush on its own. What thickness is your window? Did you buy the 12"x24" .08in thick Optix sheet?
Old February 4, 2014, 07:24 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeOnePack View Post
Please post pictures if you can. I am sure we would all love to see the results. :D

The acrylic window I bought doesn't quite sit flush on its own. What thickness is your window? Did you buy the 12"x24" .08in thick Optix sheet?
Yeah I will post pictures when I get home. I bought 30 by 32 inch sheet .08 inch thick and cut it to size. Including the magnetic strips, about half the windows thickness sticks out. I don't mind it though. I'll let you know if I find a way to get it flush.

What did you use to cut the acrylic and what did you use to mount it on your prodigy?
Old February 4, 2014, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Yeah I will post pictures when I get home. I bought 30 by 32 inch sheet .08 inch thick and cut it to size. Including the magnetic strips, about half the windows thickness sticks out. I don't mind it though. I'll let you know if I find a way to get it flush.

What did you use to cut the acrylic and what did you use to mount it on your prodigy?
I cut the acrylic with an exacto knife. Not very efficient. I may use a scalpel next time or something made to cut acrylic.

The window on my Prodigy was such a tight fit that it just sits in on it's own. There is an exposed screw in each corner of the case that I can screw into, just never got around to it.

Last edited by JoeOnePack; February 4, 2014 at 11:24 AM.