Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2014, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Default [BL/VL] Gold Rush 2014: 750D/2x420 Triple Rads/4770k/Delidding/Acrylic Tube...

GOLD RUSH 2014

Trying Something Different
In this build log/video log I will be requesting the help of you, the experts along the entire journey of building my dream rig. Each week or as often as I can I will be updating this thread with a new voting poll asking you the questions and for your opinions. Each week or two I will display the results of that poll and get started on the winning voted entry.
There are several adventures I am going to embark on for the first time ever in this build and will need the help of each and every one of you to guide me through it. Some of the new adventures I will be taking on are: Delidding, custom sleeving, custom lighting, acrylic tubing and much more!
I will start off by saying the majority of the parts will be voted on by you guys regarding quality, and price to performance but most of all this is an aesthetics build. Each Entry request will be posted on the first page of this thread as a poll, and after a week or two of voting I will go out and order the parts, obviously this does have a budget and I will take request from you guys and discuss the best options or alternatives if the item is too pricy.
Documentation
I will be taking as many pictures as I can, as well video logging the entire process and posting that on my youtube page and submitting it for you to see. I am learning how to take better and more detailed and helpful video so I can pass on the education I have received from you and my experiences to others.
Each update will be posted in the first post of this thread and linking to the post # added.
Methodology
I have done several water-cooling builds, however always stuch to the traditional blue scheme and never really enjoyed other colors until the recent release of gold and black products. On the EK webpage there was this picture of a dream rig Murderbox MK2 Gold and instantly had to make one. I have wanted to build this since the asus boards came out, and now I am going to take the plunge, the full monty:

• Custom sleeving
  • Dual water loop
  • SLI graphics cards
  • Custom fabricating and paint jobs

Proposed Parts List
These will be subject to change as time goes on there may be better or other options as well the voting from you guys will also determine the outcome.

• Case - 750d or 800d or 900d
  • Motherboard - ASUS Z87-DELUXE or Pro
  • Ram - Gold Corsair Vengeance Pro OC
  • Power Supply - x4 1000W Gold edition - Received
  • CPU - i7-4770k Delided
  • SSD - Intel 530 Series 240GB - Shipped
  • CPU Block - EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ - Gold - Received
  • Reservoir - Phobya Balancer 250 or 150 Gold plated
  • Graphics Cards - Either 2x's 290x or single 780Ti (voters choice)
  • Fittings - bitspower True Golden Compression Fitting or Monsoon Compression Fitting - Gold

The rest will be voted on including graphics cards, water blocks, sleeving color scheme and hard drives, tubing, fans, fan controllers and even cable management help.
Picture Listing

1. Power Supply - Ultra 1000W X4 Gold Edition Modular Power Supply

1. CPU Water block - EK-Supremacy Clean CSQ Gold Edition

Thanks guys here is an update: I've ordered the two 420 rads,
  • EK-CoolStream Radiator XTC (420) Winner Purchased 01/01/14 front rad
  • XSPC EX420 Triple Fan Low Profile Winner Purchased 01/01/14 Top Rad
The case from bottom to top is 525mm, -460mm(rad standing), -30mm (rad), -25mm (fan), this gives me around 10-15mm of space to work with !! LOL :wowzers that will be around 5mm for the front rad and 5 mm between rads!
I've also purchased the Reservoir and made the mounting bracket, as well as the custom pump res config!
Once I receive the items I will be making the second video showing how I (will no doubt) have to modify the hole locations for the rads to fit them in, as well I will start the custom paint jobs on the Rads and am looking next for the 140mm fans to go with them and custom pain them as well.
Its coming along good subscribe to my youtube channel as I try to get the videos up as soon as they are around 10-15min in length with substantial changes to the build log.
Drive cage removal

Check it out

Last edited by Darwing; January 2, 2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 02:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice stuff you got here. I like it and will be following!
Old January 3, 2014, 09:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Can't wait to see more :)
Old January 3, 2014, 09:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
Can't wait to see more :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Nice stuff you got here. I like it and will be following!
Thanks guys, The Rads and pump/res are coming on Wednesday :) can't wait to get them fitted in there, and create the bracket for the pump and res.. then comes the painting ;) I need to custom paint the EK emblem and XSPC emblem and take apart all the Fans and paint them just the right amount of gold and black :)

Im going out this weekend to take a look at the different golds and make sure they will go with the current ones I have.
Old January 6, 2014, 05:47 AM
Trial Member

I'm 'Gutted' and 'stoked' In equal measures....

Not for the Gold, that's just general interest :)

But I was going to double 360 or 420 my son's 750D and hadn't seen it done anywhere yet :(
This way I know it will all fit I guess, as my stumbling Block is I let him have it on air due to not being able to source a WB for the 7970 Matrix platinum, and now it's working ok he's gone cold on the water build LOL...

Good luck with the build, Looks awesome, I almost wanna buy a spare to build up for a quick swap so I can start ripping bits out :)
Old January 6, 2014, 12:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSID"IAN" ROG View Post
I'm 'Gutted' and 'stoked' In equal measures....

Not for the Gold, that's just general interest :)

But I was going to double 360 or 420 my son's 750D and hadn't seen it done anywhere yet :(
This way I know it will all fit I guess, as my stumbling Block is I let him have it on air due to not being able to source a WB for the 7970 Matrix platinum, and now it's working ok he's gone cold on the water build LOL...

Good luck with the build, Looks awesome, I almost wanna buy a spare to build up for a quick swap so I can start ripping bits out :)
Thanks, I can guarantee that two 360 rads will fit with absolute ease!!! 360 rads are shorter and there is absolutely no question you can fit two if you take out the drive cage.

With that said, that was to easy for me... And there are so many people saying you "CANT" fit a 420 rad in this case... Well come Wednesday we will find out for sure as I seem to be the only crazy modder to try this lol...

Yeah a 360 rad is only 406mm in length vs 460mm of the 420 rads. The difference is huge and I could have gone the easy rout but then nobody would be interested and I wouldn't be the first ;)

The 420's I had to measure and am playing with 10-15mm of space not to mention the mounting holes I'm most likely going to have to make and calculate every millimetre.

So go 2x360 and there is no worries, I 100% guarantee they will go in the pre fabricated 120mm fan holes and fit you can even do push/pull on the top rad as well!! From the floor to top is 525mm - 2x25mm (fans) - 30mm (top rad) - 406mm (standing front rad) gives you plenty of room to work with 40mm of space which means 20mm between rads and 20 to floor, your golden ;)
Old January 9, 2014, 07:26 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Looking forward to an update
Old January 9, 2014, 08:48 PM
Rookie

so major update will be coming tonight, however here is a teaser with the fitting as smooth as a baby's but 2 x 420 Rads ;)

Those pics are of the rad sitting on the ground, after I screwed in the fans there is literally an unmeasurable amount of room between the top fan and the front res, however there is a thiin streem of light between the two! LOL I can use the premade holes for the 140mm fans, however because EH uses 20mm instead of the standard 15mm between fans, I will be required to drill 2 holes (THATS IT!!!!!) to fit the middle fan in but everything has gone almost too smooth...

EXCEPT THIS LOOK AT MY RES!!! Sending back ASAP

I received my Phobya reservoir gold.. and take a look at the pics...

I'm so pissed but at least the rest of the shipment was good, but the $130 in duty really set me off

I will also be getting a better light source for my pictures there is no light in my basement, and uploading the second video this weekend :)
Oh and we need to discuss the fan selection cause $25/fan is over $250 in fans alone for the noiseblockers... :mad:

Last edited by Darwing; January 9, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old January 10, 2014, 09:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

That rad space is crazy tight up there. I hope you get your res exchange asap.
Old January 10, 2014, 12:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Surprised they sent out a reservoir in that condition, could always polish the brass though