Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 18, 2013, 10:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Dual Rigs - Project "Calico" & Project "Apollo"

Project "Calico" & Project "Apollo"

For the past 15 years that I've been building computers I've always had a few big upgrades that have earned names. These names are Traditionally based on some of my many horses over the years. Some living, some who have passed. These two builds will both have names and I've carefully considered who I'm using.

Build 1
Project "Calico"
Calico (aka Callie). This was one of my first miniature horses. She was about 33" tall full grown. I trained her from quite young and she ended up a nice little driving horse. She was quite a friend to me when I was younger and has always stayed with me even after passing suddenly of Colic. With this in mind I think I have finally found a build that this suits. Tiny horse, Tiny Platform.

CPU: - Intel Core i7 4770K - Already Have
MB: - Asus Maximus VI Impact
Ram: - Corsair Dominator 16gb - (For now 2x4gb vengence Already Have)
Vid: - Radeon 6970 2GB - Already Have
PSU: - Corsair TX750M - Already Have
SSD - I have a 240 GB Mushkin SSD and a 2tb WD HDD for this but might go with one of the new WD Black2 drives.
Case: - Caselabs Mercury S3
Cooling: - Full MITX Board block from Bitspower or EK as well as a 2 Dimm block on the Ram. there will be a block on the 6970 which I've already got mounted. Cooling will depend a pit on the case but it will have at least a 240mm rad. Everything will be completed using Acrylic tubing.

Build 2
Project "Apollo"
Apollo - Now this boy is still with us and is one hell of a boy. He is a Belgian Draft horse meaning that he is the type used for pulling plows and farm equipment and such. He is about 6 feet tall at his shoulder and weighs 2500lb. I rescued him about 2 years ago, He's 6 now. He was still a stallion meaning that he wasn't fixed yet which when combined with his size made him quite dangerous. When I got him he was very malnourished and had never had any maintenance done This meant that feet and hair were awful. On top of this he also had a broken mandible that had never been treated in over 2 years. I might elaborate through out the build log and I'll have pictures through out also. Needless to say he is now healed up very nicely considering. Anyhow Very big horse, Very big platform.

CPU: - Intel Core i7 4930K - Already own
MB: - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Ram: - Corsair Dominator 32gb
Vid: - SLI 780ti TBD
PSU: - 1200watt, Still undecided.
SDD - I have a 240 GB Mushkin SSD and a 2tb WD for this but this might change.
Case: - Caselabs - TBD (or might grab a 900D)
Cooling: - This will of course be water cooled. I plan to block almost everything. Full board block, Ram Blocks, CPU of course and Graphics cards. There will be 2 separate loops in here and I want to really go overkill on the rads.

The reason there is Two builds here is for a couple of reasons. I work from home as a Software Developer and I also game at night although I haven't in awhile cause of many things but now I can again. So I want to get back to having two separate rigs for each thing so that I can have some separation between work and play. Next reason is that both of the CPUs used here are from the Intel Retail Edge (RE) Program. I got both processors for under $400.

This build will really get rolling once the CPUs arrive which should be very early in the new year. I think Calico is going to be the primary objective as I really need to get off this dying board lol.

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited by Birk; December 28, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old December 18, 2013, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Overall can't say anything bad about the builds...the only thing I can say is that there is potentially some money to be saved in a couple spots if you would like. The motherboards are great, but there are other options that will give you pretty pretty much the same features for less. 2nd: do you require 16/32gb ram? if so its good to go, if not they could likely be dropped down to 8 and 16gb respectively (up to you if you need it). 3rd: You could go for a 1000-1200w PSU with the components on rig 2, vice the 1500 without issue IMO.
Old December 18, 2013, 10:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Overall can't say anything bad about the builds...the only thing I can say is that there is potentially some money to be saved in a couple spots if you would like. The motherboards are great, but there are other options that will give you pretty pretty much the same features for less. 2nd: do you require 16/32gb ram? if so its good to go, if not they could likely be dropped down to 8 and 16gb respectively (up to you if you need it). 3rd: You could go for a 1000-1200w PSU with the components on rig 2, vice the 1500 without issue IMO.
Those are some areas I was looking at for sure.

The Ram I could drop to 8gb and use my Vengence 1600 (i have a 4x4 kit here) which is probably whats going to happen.

the 32gb I want mostly because 8x4 is the smallet I can go and I plan to WC the ram using 2 x 4 dimm blocks so kinda stuck there.

Motherboards I'm pretty set on I like the features of the 2011 board and the full block they've made for the impact that does the CPU and motherboard all at once.

PSU I am really not set on for sure, I know 1500w is way overkill there so I'll probably check out some other options.
Old December 18, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Usage for work? Res for games?

Both are overkill / on the money depending on the usage.

1000W PSU is plenty for any 2 card system (maybe 7990 excluded) Running dual 780's oc'd and I don't think the fan even comes on on my xfx (Seasonic built) 1000W Platinum (got it on sale, was looking for 850 - 900w gold)

Motherboards are overkill as are processors as is the ram as is the GPU, PSU etc etc....

Look at Gskill for ram, usually get higher speed and tighter timings than Caorasir for about the same price and they do good kit.
I see no HDD's or SSD's listed.

Usage will allow the best advice.. Also if your going for a certain look. Quiet? max oc? etc.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old December 18, 2013, 02:02 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Usage for work? Res for games?

Both are overkill / on the money depending on the usage.

1000W PSU is plenty for any 2 card system (maybe 7990 excluded) Running dual 780's oc'd and I don't think the fan even comes on on my xfx (Seasonic built) 1000W Platinum (got it on sale, was looking for 850 - 900w gold)
I'm a software developer for a living and play games in the evening. I'm totally okay looking at a 1000-1200 PSU for sure. I'll look for one of those shortly.

Quote:
Motherboards are overkill as are processors as is the ram as is the GPU, PSU etc etc....
I like the full motherboard/cpu waterblock that Bitspower and EK have for the impact. Which 2011 board is comparable to the new IBE optimized Rampage? I'm open to looking but skeptical that another board will pull my attention with features / price especially when it comes to sound and waterblock availablity.

CPU's I got through Intel Retail Edge, 4770k - $150 4930K - $230
Ram I want to be able to cool using 2 4dimm blocks so want 8 dimms = 32gb minimum

Quote:
Look at Gskill for ram, usually get higher speed and tighter timings than Caorasir for about the same price and they do good kit.
Totally willing to look at this also although it'll make me have to rethink my ram blocks as the ones I was looking at were bolt ons for dominator

Quote:
I see no HDD's or SSD's listed.
I've got a 240gb SSD and a 2tb drive for each rig already but might change those up a bit. Might think of one of the new WD SSD/HDD combo for the mitx build.

Quote:
Usage will allow the best advice.. Also if your going for a certain look. Quiet? max oc? etc.
I like for my builds to be nice on the eyes, going to be doing rigid tubing on both of these buids and I do want them to be quite, I will OC but not going for a record or anything.

Old December 18, 2013, 02:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lucky on the retail edge stuff....wish I had access to that.
Old December 18, 2013, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That block is snazzy :) wants it
Old December 18, 2013, 07:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yea I'm lucky enough to have 2 family members who work for companies who are eligible but dont have any use for it so I just do the quizes and claim the prizes.

I'm thinking with the impact to also cool the ram lol. You can get 2 dimm blocks also so with the main board block, ram and vid card all in a super compact rigid tube build it would look pretty sharp
Old December 18, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok.. 2 things.. lucky sod on the RE CPU's and looking forward to seeing the builds. :)

For case, look at the phantecks entho prime or NZXT (P or H series depending on taste)... awesome watercooling cases.

I wouldn't bother with an sshd, ssd will be faster all the time on what you want it to be rather than the sshd which takes a few runs and won't match an ssd anyway.

780 ti's look at ASUS.. they are so far and beyond on the components in the "standard" custom designs that even if your putting them under water they are worth it. Unless you want the lightning / classified which if they follow suit on the 780 will have more voltage to play with but will still be limited by the power target.. though there are ways around it..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old December 18, 2013, 08:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I was looking hard at the Enthoo Primo especially during the launch. It is a sweet case and I might use it for a build with my 2500k that im about to free up. The main reason I'm looking at the 900D or perhaps the STH10 is because for the 4930 I'm wanting to kinda go crazy on the rads so i can run super low RPM fans Thinking 3 480s and a 240 or something sorta crazyness.

I also want to put a 240 on the ITX build. I'm not against the prodigy line but at the same time It doesn't really thrill me. maybe a Mercury S5 or something.

I do love asus products as they've treated me very well over the years. I JUST sold 2 Asus 7970 DCII with blocks on here about 3 weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to doing this build log for these two rigs in this thread soon. All of my computers are named after my horses either past or present. I'll have names for these ones soon.

I'm thinking of watering with Mayhem Aurora coolant but I'll worry more about that when the time comes to fill it up