Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2013, 08:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default SugarJ's Corsair Water 540 (The Sugar Cube?)

As some of you may have gathered from my questions in the watercooling forum, I picked up a Corsair Carbide Air 540 on Friday. I figured this case would have been better marketed as a Water 540, so I'm gonna fix it. I plan on using the guts from my Craven build, as it is more of a rebuild than an upgrade (I'm skipping Haswell and will flog this Ivy Bridge until the next big thing).

So, seeing as I had a Feser 360 rad and EK Multi Option Res in the closet from my TJ-07 build I figured it would be a no brainer to transfer the guts to their new home. Or would it?

So, the rad will screw into place, but the fittings won't go on because of the harddrive mount. I'm getting a thinner rad so my elbows will clear the mount.

As part of this experiment, I mounted the fans to hold the rad in place.

2 of my 3 fans mounted on the exterior of the box. But would the mesh cover fit?

Yuppers!

OK, well, I need a new rad. How about mounting the tube res and pump in the back side?

Well, with the PSU in there it's obvious there isn't a lot of room to mount a pump on the floor of the case. I've removed the SSD cage (which is why I'm keen on keeping the floor HDD mounts, I run one SSD and one HDD only) as I was playing with putting the tube reservoir on the rear wall. But if I do that and mount the pump in the 5.25" cage, well, water doesn't flow uphill. So then I thought about rotating my XSPC bay res/D5 pump top, but I'm not sure that it will work in a rotated position.

So I just blew the budget and ordered a new rad and res top for my pump. I will mount the pump/res top above the PSU, which should leave me some slack to tip it outside the case for when I drain the loop.

Oh, and why the hell would Corsair put out a SILVER Air 540 before a white one? So you can make a good guess as to what color the exterior is probably going to be when I'm done. And why The Sugar Cube is my worklog name.

Now I sit and wait for parts. Thanks for reading.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

interesting case and will interesting to see it watercooled

flip it sideways and use it horizontal mobo?
Old November 11, 2013, 09:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
interesting case and will interesting to see it watercooled

flip it sideways and use it horizontal mobo?
Interesting thought, That could be pretty nice.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was thinking about it, but it would take up too much space on the small desk (Ikea Jerker) I'm stuck using right now beside the U3011. I may still entertain the idea. Meaning I've already measured the base to cut a piece of sheet metal to cover the big holes in the bottom (current bottom, possible future side panel). The side panel is pretty flimsy though, I think you'd have to attach the new feet to the frame somehow.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You could get low profile rubber feet that just stick on.

4 X SELF ADHESIVE STICK ON RUBBER FEET 21MM X 21MM X 8MM | eBay
Old November 11, 2013, 09:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, although I think something a little higher would be better. The only air intake for the PSU would then be on the bottom, and I think I'd want more than 8mm just for the airflow to the PSU. Hmm, more thought must go into this possibility. And that would bring my 5.25" bay res/pump top back in the equation too.

I wait for parts. Then I transfer the guts and plumbing. Then sleeving, then I paint. Then I can decide if I want to make it horizontal mode before final assembly.

Oh, for those of you too lazy to click my system specs button, here's what's going in it.

Gigabtye Z77X-UP7
Intel 3770K with HeatKiller 3.0 Chrome and Black
Hyper X Black 16 GB
Intel 520 240 GB, WD Black 1 TB.
Galaxy 680 with Heatkiller NiBl waterblock
HX 750 power supply, to be sleeved.
XSPC EX360 Rad, MCP655 pump with EK Res Top
Orange Monsoon fittings, black elbows. Clear tubing with Mayhems Pastel Ice White.
Old November 13, 2013, 07:39 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm planning on doing a watercooling setup in the case once I get it. Where do you plan on mounting the res?
Old November 13, 2013, 09:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Above the power supply, in the mesh area. I shouldn't have to drill any holes, just screw a couple res mounts in the mesh.
Old November 18, 2013, 09:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Parts have arrived from Daz.

And a lot of searching through boxes for things like screws, tubing, spare fittings. Oh, and the wrench for my Monsoon fittings. That took 45 minutes to locate.

Notice what I else I came across? My original copy of Starcraft.

So now I'm off to drain the loop and disassemble the Craven. I don't think I'll get everything reassembled tonight, so more progress tomorrow.
Old November 18, 2013, 11:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, got the teardown done. And some parts mounted in the new home.

Looks pretty good in that orientation, huh? I'm still thinking about it, real hard. A couple issues so far. The 6/32 screws that came with the rad have the big hex heads which interfere with the front cover. I've got some lower profile ones to try tomorrow, but they are chrome. That can be fixed, if they are low enough to allow the mesh to clear.

Issue no. 2. The res/top is supposed to come with M4x16mm to put the top on, and 2 M4x10mm to put the mounting plate on.

See how much skinnier those are? They're M3 size, not M4. Quality Checker no 20, you're fired. Fortunately I had a couple screws that fit, but again the heads protrude. I'll be contacting my supplier to get the correct ones, otherwise I'll have a hell of a vibration from the screwheads hitting the case.

And there's where the pump/res is mounted for now. This will only work if I keep the case in the original orientation. I've got another spot to try tomorrow, in case I want to flip the case on it's side.

I could have finished the plumbing and got it bleeding tonight, but I'm tired and don't want to make a mistake. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow night, thanks for stopping by.