Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2013, 02:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

looks great SugarJ

I'm partial to that orientation

typhoons,monsoons...oh i'm in
Old November 19, 2013, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
looks great SugarJ

I'm partial to that orientation

typhoons,monsoons...oh i'm in
Typhoons, monsoons, cyclones oh my! Yeah, I'm really liking that with the window on top. If my pump fits to the right of the motherboard, it's definitely a go. I was too tired to grab a tape measure out of the garage after a dozen trips up and down last night so the suspense will have to keep until tonight.

Hmm, just had another thought. If it won't mount on the back wall, it should fit on what would be the side, where the top fans are supposed to mount.
Old November 19, 2013, 03:29 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

There's a box in that shot that does not belong in this build...

Old November 19, 2013, 03:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
There's a box in that shot that does not belong in this build...
Ssshh, it's off to the side, no one will notice. I bought a Z77 mITX board from 3.0 that arrived yesterday too. But that's another build log.

Seeing as I have to change the screws in the rad tonight anyways, I'm going to check if the rad will fit with the fittings up instead of down. It would make for shorter tubing runs wherever the pump gets mounted.
Old November 19, 2013, 11:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, the pump wouldn't fit on the back wall, there isn't enough room between the fan and the side. So it was time to go out to the drill press and put a couple new holes in the mounting bracket.

A little out of focus, but you get the idea on where the pump is. Next was changing the screws on the rad fans to see if I could get the front grill back on.

Success! Notice that the case badge has mysteriously rotated. Damn straight, I love the look of this case in this orientation, it's staying.

Here's the old leak test shot:

I put paper towel under every fitting when I leak test, even the ones I didn't touch. Because I've been doing this for a few years and I use compression fittings, my leak test time is a lot less than 24 hours.

As you can see, there's not a lot of room left on the old Ikea Jerker I'm using in the spare bedroom after you put this thing and a U3011 on the desk. After New Year's I'm claiming back some space in our loft with room for a bigger desk.

Things left to do:

FEET! I need something under it. The PSU can draw lots of air through the back panel, but it looks funny without something under it.
PAINT! A sugar cube is white, not black. I'll take all the panels off and paint them, but the interior frame will stay black.
SLEEVING! My fingers are cramping up already and I haven't even started.

I also need a couple more Monsoon fittings for the rad, and I need a not-silver stop fitting for the top of the res. But enough for tonight.
Old November 19, 2013, 11:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

glad to see it works out that way excellent

now I dont have to get one
Old November 20, 2013, 10:37 AM

My System Specs

What colours are you planning on using for sleeving?
Old November 20, 2013, 10:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks great!!!!

Wrong time of year to be checking out your neighbors' trash for the "big" garbage pickup, but old junked stereo components often have some high end feet attached.......

So the pump/res is now firmly attached to one of the structural components of the case? I was a bit concerned that the first mount you showed might have transmitted pump noise through the case.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 20, 2013, 11:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
What colours are you planning on using for sleeving?
It's a secret. I'm thinking white with some orange accents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Looks great!!!!

Wrong time of year to be checking out your neighbors' trash for the "big" garbage pickup, but old junked stereo components often have some high end feet attached.......
My major concern is that the side panel is so flimsy I don't want to put point loads in it. A brief look at the frame last night suggests that there might be enough meat in the little gussets in the corners that I could attach feet there, and run the case with out the side panel (now the bottom). More investigation is needed. And I have to take some stuff to the electronic recycling depot anyways, so I will check it out when I'm there.

Quote:
So the pump/res is now firmly attached to one of the structural components of the case? I was a bit concerned that the first mount you showed might have transmitted pump noise through the case.
Yes, the pump/res is now solidly attached to one of the fan mounts. A couple hours of use didn't give me any noticeable buzzing. I agree that I would have had to use some gel stuff or something on the mesh mount. That works for reservoirs no problem, but I haven't run a pump attached there before. If I had a 6-32 tap (and was keeping the case in the upright orientation), I'd actually have preferred to try to mount it to the mobo tray.
Old November 20, 2013, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lookken good with that orientation.

My desk realesstate is smaller than yours an much more cluttered.