Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2013, 06:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Metro Last Light Tribute Build: UPDATE

Hi all,

After completing "Canticle of the Apocalypse" I have to admit I was happy that I finished but also sad that I was finished. I really enjoyed building something with my own personal touch (can't be bought or duplicated . . . well perhaps duplicated but not bought ). Anyway I digress . . .

As I had my old computer kicking about, I thought why not put it to use (or at least parts of it) and build something else. I have been playing Metro Last Light ever since I finished Canticle and absolutely love the game with all its post-apocalyptic goodness. So I decided to create a tribute build. But rather than just mod an existing case, I decided this was going to be a scratch build.

My initial plan was to replace the mobo, CPU, cooler and RAM but alas the fickle gods of all things pets rained ruin on my plan. Our one dog tore her ACL and needed surgery which ate my rebuild budget up to the point where I could afford one (1) led green fan . . . Yup "one fan"

So though I was a bit bummed, I decided to just use all the parts from my big box store Gateway computer and have at it. Oh well, when you get lemons you make lemonade or in this case a secondary computer.

This is what I am working with

Sorry for those of you who are looking for water coolers, massive mobo, tons of RAM . . . You won't find it here as this build (interior parts that is) is definitely going to rock it old school.

Mobo: ACER MBGAJ09001

CPU: Intel i3

Cooler: stock Intel cooler

PSU: Corsair 750 HX

GPU: Zotac 550Ti

RAM: Stock (6GB)

So that is it . . . It might not be pretty inside but for me the art is in the build and not the parts that go in it. Besides it will serve me well as a secondary computer. Here are some start pics . . . needs some dusting though.

After stripping the case and putting the parts away for safe keeping, this is the salvage I expect to use:

Concept

Sorry, not a rendering guru so my explanations will have to suffice. For those of you who may have played the game, I wanted to incorporate elements of the game into the build. Ammunition cans figure prominently in the game so I thought they would make a great computer case. Originally I had hoped to get my hands on one of the Mk19 Ammo Cans but unfortunately not fast enough, so standard ammo cans will have to suffice.

Introducing the case

Two ammo cans will form the main PC case. These will be stacked. The metal at the bottom of the top ammo can will be cut away and the lid of the bottom ammo can will be cut away. This will allow me continuous access to the interior of both ammo cans. The third ammo can will hold the PSU and cabling and will be stacked to the front. My intention was to make the computer look like three stacked ammo cans. I plan on a custom paint job (inside and out) of all ammo cans.

In addition, I will be adding two fans. One fan will be used to draw air in and will be positioned at the base of the main case and another fan (green LED) will be used to vent air out of the top ammo can. All wires will be sleeved and all internal parts will be aged. I will use the same process I used for my Canticle of the Apocalypse build.

I still have a lot of figure out as this is my first scratch build and since I am not using a conventional case, I will need to wrap my head around placement of mobo and such. But I did start the initial prep of the main case and below is some preliminary pics.

The First Cuts

To be honest, I had no clue if a Dremel would push through the lid of an ammo can as there is a double layer of metal. In preparation, the rubber water tight seal had to be removed from the lid.

So after some measuring I grabbed the Dremel and had at it:

After 3 almost 4 cutting disks, I had the lid of one can finished and the bottom of the other finished.

Stacking Concept

Looking in and down

Prepping for the Mobo and GPU

As I need to be able to fit the existing mobo and GPU, I figured that I might as well salvage the mobo tray and expansion card openings from the original PC case and incorporate them. The mobo tray will be fitted to the interior of the ammo can case. The back of the ammo cans will be cut away to accommodate the expansion card openings. Once painted they should melt into the background of the case.

Disassembled case and the salvage I am working with:

Mobo tray and expansion card face measure out for the new case:

Apres cutting:

The concept is continually being rewritten in my mind as I think about things like how am I going to access the interior of the case (top/sides) or the access the PSU. My biggest issue was fitting the GPU and back panel of the mobo. After some careful measuring and cutting, I have been able to fit a place for salvage from the original case. This will allow me to mount the GPU and access the mobo back panel.

Here are some initial pics. I will need to do some pop riveting to keep it in place. Until I get all pieces prepped, I will just be dry fitting.

As a teaser . . . RichiRich1 over at Overclock suggested I incorporate a gas mask in the build. Originally, I was just going to incorporate a gas mask cylinder and incorporate the power button and USB hub in it . . . But RichiRich 1 is right, you can't pay tribute to Metro Last Light without a gas mask

So look what I found in some of my old military kit . . .

. . . I have some definite plans for this but you will have to wait and see

Hope you enjoyed. Let me know what you think so far (I know there isn't much to go on).

Cheers

Fen

Last edited by Bad Fenny; August 24, 2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old August 15, 2013, 09:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Good luck!!
Old August 15, 2013, 09:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm subbed.
Old August 16, 2013, 01:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Looking forward to the build. I have touched on Metro 2033. I haven't seen Last Light yet. But I assume it is similar.
Old August 16, 2013, 02:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onin View Post
Good luck!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I'm subbed.
Thanks guys . . . should have a bit more over the next few days. Working on a way to access all points.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 16, 2013, 02:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Looking forward to the build. I have touched on Metro 2033. I haven't seen Last Light yet. But I assume it is similar.
Thanks much . . . I will admit this is taking a lot of thought. My initial impulse is to cut away every time I get an idea but common sense tempers impulse so I spend a lot of time measuring and measuring again before I cut. Working on access panels now as the whole thing will be riveted and bolted together.

Metro Last Light is very akin to Metro 2033 (continuation somewhat). It runs smoother though and the graphics are far better.

Cheers.

Fen
Old August 16, 2013, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Totally should have found some 7.62x54R ammo cans, would've suited the whole Russia location of the game better This is a neat idea though, looking forward to seeing the end.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; August 16, 2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old August 16, 2013, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpfan4ever View Post
Totally should have found some 7.62x54R ammo cans, would've suited the whole Russia location of the game better This is a neat idea though, looking forward to seeing the end.
I actually had one and would have been able to get my hands on a few more. However, they were a bit flimsy and some of the cuts I would have had to do, the dremel would have ripped them apart. In the end I opted with the NA versions due to their robustness and versatility to the project . . .

... You are right though it would have really added a nice touch to the build . . . my one regret with the build

Cheers and thanks for building

Fen
Old August 16, 2013, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ah, that sucks. I have a 5.56 can myself that I use for random storage, I kinda figured the 7.62x54R cans would be of comparable thickness. Gotta make do with what works!
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old August 16, 2013, 09:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looking forward to this... I've toted more than my share of those bloody cans over the years. :)

I didn't notice you mentioning it, but have you found a way to mount the two cans together? As far as the cutting discs go... 4's not that bad considering the material, but a jigsaw would work as well.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP