Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 20, 2014, 02:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Air Intake Fan . . . Out of Room

Hi all,

For those new to this build, the concept was three ammunition cans stacked together with two cans (main tower) housing the mobo, HD and two fans (intake and exhaust)and the third can (secondary case) housing the PSU. The original concept was to have the intake fan on the side of the bottom ammunition can of the primary case. However, as I dry fitted pieces in the primary case I soon realized that room was a premium and the intake fan mounted internally would not fit.

So I had to come up with an alternative placement. I thought about a fan on the floor of the primary case but ran into the same lack of space issue. I wanted the "air intake" fan low in the case as the exhaust would be at the top. So after some design renderings and a lot of soul searching, I decided to put the intake fan on the outside of the case on the front bottom ammo case.

I was a bit concerned that I was loosing the look of three ammo cans stacked together but when I thought about it, this is a tribute build to the game and while the ammo cans are central, the build is also incorporating items and aspects of the actual game. In the game there are several big fans (I guess air intake/exhaust fans for the Metro) so I figured that placement on the build would still be in keeping with the intent of the tribute to this great game.

The fan was an old Corsair I had lying around and to give it an industrial grit, I gave it a primer coat of "red oxide" followed by a light spray of yellow, more red oxide and finally aged it using charcoal briquette. My original intent was to mount it directly to the front but decided I did not like it sitting there just looking like a computer fan.

So I decided to cover the fan in a shroud which would simulate an intake fan from the game (duct work). Naturally it would have to be beat up, worn, aged, rusted and just plain nasty looking to keep with the apocalyptic theme . First thing was to build the holding frame for the fan. I used sheet aluminum which I cut, bent and pop riveted to the desired shape.

Initial measure/shaping

Fancy bending tool

Frame pieces ready to go

Pop Riveting

Frame finished

The next thing I had to do was to create the top cover which would fit over the frame and be used to mount the fan to. The frame will be pop riveted to the ammo cases so I have a way to the get the fan in and out of the build.

The template

Final cutting (all done with tin snips)

Fancy bending tool back in action

Naturally, I would need some sort of mesh grill for effect and I just happen to have some old wire mesh lying around in my basement.

Now since this had to look worn, aged, knocked about, etc . . . I did not spare the banging, knocking and scratching while putting it together. Weathering was achieved using a mix of red oxide, grey primer (industrial look)and my favorite weathering medium (charcoal briquette - just crush and rub).

The frame would be pop riveted to the ammo cases over the existing fan opening in order to allow air flow in. The fan would be placed in the frame with the cover secured to the fan (mesh in place).

Final pictures

Hope you enjoyed and any feedback you wish to give is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 23, 2014, 12:03 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Welcome back Fenny.

Nice work on this one.
Old August 23, 2014, 04:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks Hero . . . good to be back.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 23, 2014, 04:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Dry Fitting the Case and Cable Management

Hi all,

Well, I am now ready to begin the final steps to putting the case together. The first thing I wanted to do was dry fit the mobo tray for fit (used electrical tape to hold in place). The intent will be bolt through the mobo tray to attach the tray in place as well as attaching the main tower case (stacked ammo cans) to the PSU ammo can. I drilled bolt holes through the mobo tray and ammo cans for alignment.

Cable management was a bit of a conundrum due to limited maneuverability in the case. As such, it was decided to run the 24 pin connector and PCI-E cables out of the top of the PSU can into the top of the main tower case. In addition I needed an access hole to run the power switch and power light out the main case for fitting into the gas mask. So out comes the trusty Dremel and let the cutting begin.

Once the access ports were cut I dry fitted the cabling.

With the new access ports the 24 pin cable can easily plug into the mobo connector something it could not do when I ran it out of the bottom access hole as the HD cage (the spider nest collage) was in the way. The 8 pin cable will still run out of the bottom access port. The power switch and light cables will run behind the mobo tray. The HDD light will be mounted in the spider nest collage.

All external cables will be hidden behind the gas mask (power switch will be mounted out of the mouth piece and the light behind the right hand lens. The other cables are safely hidden behind the medical kit wire shroud - everything tying into the game theme.

While the PSU can will have an access door cover you could still see the cable mess through the mesh. So I will be mounting a cable shroud on the inside of the can as well.

Anatomy of a Wire Shroud

I wanted to create a wire shroud that would hide the external wires and be in keeping with the game theme. Certain items are important in the game. The primary equipment is a gas mask which I am incorporating, the other is ammunition which I am using as bling on the build and the last one is a medical kit. So I thought that a medical kit would be a great addition to hide the wires. To create the shroud I started with a metal shell which I crafted out of sheet metal and much bending with my fancy bending tool.

To cover the metal shell, I needed to find a material which I could use that was lightweight, easy to use and could emulate webbing when affixed to the shell. It took some searching until I ran across a field dressing at the bottom of on of my old kit bags. The packaging is plastic with a cloth texture not unlike webbing. Not to mention a "Field Dressing" how perfect is that?

The material was affixed to the metal shell using contact cement.

Now because pouches tend to have flaps, I fashioned one out of sheet metal, covered and affixed the same material to it.

Colouring and aging was used to give the pouch a worn look (two colours of camo paint and of course my charcoal briquette to dirty things up. The red cross symbol was spray painted on once the material aging was completed.

The one thing missing was a strap. So I liberated one from an old backpack, gave it a quick blast of paint and used a pop riveter to attach it and the flap to the shroud. Following that one more aging session et voila . . . a medical pouch / wire shroud.

Hope you enjoyed any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 24, 2014, 07:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Outstanding project and log

modding at its finest

great work Fenny
Old August 25, 2014, 01:31 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
Outstanding project and log

modding at its finest

great work Fenny
Hey Father,

Thanks much . . . I am really enjoying the build and it seems each time a problem crops up it presents an opportunity to get a bit creative.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 28, 2014, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Final Case Construction and Fitting of the Mobo

Well I have had time to complete the construction of the case which included the attachment of the PSU ammo can to the main tower. In addition, I have finished the mounting of the gas mask and dry fitting the mobo . . . all measurements worked out. Below are some picture which finally shows the theme all together. I also painted the exterior interior to give the case a rusted look (afterall it is the Apocalypse ) Things still be done:

Illuminating the gas mask and incorporating the power switch in the mouth piece - not to mention skull placement in the mask
Graphics card modding/painting
Some sleeving
Final aging and detailing

Front of build. The gas mask is mounted using hex bolts so I can be removed. The power switch and power LED will run behind the mobo tray in the main tower and exit behind the gas mask. The Medical Kit is a wire shroud hiding the 24 pin and PCI-E cables running into the main tower case. For those who do not know the game, gas mask, ammo, med kits all central to the health and safety of the character.

Back of the build with mobo dry fitted. The spider nest is part of HD cage (spiders are central to the game). The HD cage will be removable (hex bolt) to allow access to the mobo - not a lot of room in an ammo can.

Side of case with the air intake fan. Note that the lids of the PSU ammo can and the top of the main tower can are functional can be removed for access.

Top of build. Still have to mount the USB ports and exhaust fan. The handle on the case can function as a carrying handle quite nicely.

Other side of case. The opening in the PSU ammo can is for the PSU (not installed yet).

I used felt padding between the PSU ammo can and main tower to provide a some vibration absorption and to close the gap between pieces. The small patch at the lower right hand corner is a makeshift grommet to hide cables going in and out. I used the same material I used on the med kit cover. It worked out nicely.

For legs I used some furniture legs I had lying around the shop . . . prime and install

[IMG ALT=""]http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2147273/width/500/height/1000[/IMG ]

Hope you enjoyed and any feedback is greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 28, 2014, 09:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks great!!!!

I love seeing what kind of material(s) folks come up with to create their vision. That med kit turned out quite well.

On another note... I hate to think how many days/hours I've spent with that bloody gas mask hanging off of my face.... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 28, 2014, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The Anatomy of Rust

Well as I continue to work on getting the component pieces ready for install into the build, I was looking at case and something about it's aging process bothered me. Oh yeah . . . no rust . I figured if people were using old ammo cans found after the apocalypse it is logical to assume after 20 plus years of being exposed to the elements (not to mention nuclear fallout) they would have accumulated some amount of rust (being steel and all)

My normal method of aging and rusting is red oxide paint, mixes of oranges and brown, some charcoal dust for texture, mix and spread. While that worked for light surface rust, it did not give me the deep type of texture you would see in extreme rust. So I tried a new approach.

I took white indoor caulking, mixed in orange and brown to give it a rusty brown look and sprinkled in some charcoal dust to give it grit. Then I just spread it over the case and worked up texture using a sponge and cotton balls. While the caulking was still wet, I ground in large bits of charcoal wood to provide flaking metal effects seen in heavy rust.

Once I finished other areas of the case, I let the caulking cure for 48 hours then had at it with shades or orange/brown/black to highlight the texture of deep penetrated rust. I then blended in the surrounding areas to create the overall effect.

Let me know what you think if you are so inclined.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 28, 2014, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Looks great!!!!

I love seeing what kind of material(s) folks come up with to create their vision. That med kit turned out quite well.

On another note... I hate to think how many days/hours I've spent with that bloody gas mask hanging off of my face.... ;)

Thanks much for your comment. Yeah I hear you about the gas mask. I must have clocked a bit of time in the one I used on this build over the years.

Cheers

Fen