Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2013, 05:42 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

UPDATED: Front Ammo Can Access Panel

Hi all,

Been away from things for awhile . . . funny how life and work gets in the way of having fun .

In between that pesky think call my "day job", I worked a bit on the front ammo can. If you recall, there are three ammo cans to this build, two are stack one on top of the other to form the main portion of the case and third is stacked to the front. This ammo can will hold the PSU and one HDD.

Since this was a tribute build, I wanted to place some artwork on the very front of the PSU ammo can and I figured that it should be the signature "M" from the game. I had two art concepts but one looked much better than the other (below is my attempt at a render).

My intent was to produce a decal of the artwork on my computer and affix it to the front of the ammo can. Unfortunately this did not work out for a couple of reasons. The first was that I only have an "inkjet" printer and it could not do the work justice. The second was that I planned to adhere this to an access panel which would be located on the front of the ammo can. Once the build is complete, I will not be able to access the PSU ammo can by opening the lid (build design reasons). So I had to incorporate an access panel. When thinking about the panel, I realized that with a 750 PSU and one HDD enclosed in the tight constraints of an ammo can, it is going to get very hot in there even with an PSU fan exhaust cut in the back of the can. So I decided to make the panel out of meshed metal to allow for maximum air flow. Since it would be meshed, then I would have to punch holes through the decal as well so as to allow that airflow . . . short story, I scrapped the decal idea. This left no other option but hand painting for which I don't have a lot of talent.

Making the Panel

As I said above, I decided on a mesh panel. So in keeping with the "Metro" theme, I salvaged part of the old case in order to make the panel. Once cut, it was primed and a flat black base coat was applied.

Artwork

As you can see my poor attempt at a decal did not do the artwork justice (the one on the panel lying flat . . . the other one is printing on white paper). The whole image was flat with no vibrancy as the colour and texture did not come through . . . Particularly the signature "M".

So, my only option was to hand paint the artwork. Now bear in mind I do not have an airbrush (wouldn't know what to do with it even if I had one ). So it was brushes, cotton and sponges for me in order to paint and create texture on a flat surface. Also, what you see below is a culmination of various attempts with plenty of mistakes, repaints and a lot of

The first thing I needed to do was create a backdrop of a grey industrial wall which has been weathered. I used grey spray primer then sponge dabbed flat black latex paint in various watered consistencies to get the aging effect on the wall.

The last step was to apply the rusted effect. This was done by using various tones of brown and orange latex paint in various watered consistencies to create texture and depth. Paint was dabbed on using sponging and blended together. A light dabbing of watered black latex was used to raise shadowing.

I turned my attention to the signature "M". I decided not to paint this on as I really wanted it to stand out and I thought the mesh look would make it disappear into the background (yellow filled with holes). So I decided to make the "M" out of sheet aluminum and affix it to the front. This would make it stand out from the rest of the art work.

Once the "M" was cut I primed it and applied a first thick coat of flat latex yellow. Now you are probably wondering why I didn't use spray paint. Firstly, finding this shade of yellow in a flat spray was impossible (lots of gloss out there). Second, I need thick paint to create the textured look. Once applied, I dabbed the thick coat with cotton pads to give it texture. Once the yellow dried, I used various shades of yellow to create highlights and lowlights and browns to darken and age.

The final product

After completing the artwork, the panel was fitted to the ammo can (bent at the rear) and final lettering was applied to the "M". It turned out okay (better than I though it would) but not as good as if I had real talent at painting. Nonetheless I am happy with it

Cheers

Fen
Old August 25, 2013, 08:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi all,

Not much done today as I had to deal with that pesky "to do" list. So I did some work on the PSU ammo can. I also thought I would take the opportunity to let you in on what I plan to do with that gas mask . . . well not everything that is . . . I have to keep some things back .

So, as I indicated earlier, I was going to use one ammo can to hold the PSU and one of the HDDs. However, I would need to alter the can to accommodate the PSU venting fan and switch. As well, I figured it was going to get very hot in there so I was going to cut an access port through the front side. Finally, I needed an opening to run cable through the PSU ammo can to the main PC ammo cans.

PSU fitted for measurement

Taped for cutting

Final cut

Normally I don't have much luck on these custom cuts but it was spot on this time and the PSU fit perfect. I had to account for a small hump in the bottom of the can which the PSU is going to sit on.

The concept dry fitted

Bear in mind this is not the final paint job and there is still lots of weathering and aging to come . . . you know me . . . if it doesn't look like it was kicked down a hill and buried for 100 years in a nuclear waste dump . . . it isn't finished

(Front side of the case - PSU access panel open)

(Front side of the case - PSU access panel installed)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot . . . the gas mask

This will be mounted to the case and while I have some plans for it which will unfold over the life of the build . . . suffice it to say it will not be just window dressing

(Rear of the case)

(Back side of the case)

Both openings will allow access to the interior of the case. The bottom opening will have the intake fan mounted. The exhaust fan is in the top lid of the top case. I am thinking about incorporating a small plexi window in the top access panel so you can see into the interior of the build (lots of aging will be going on in there as well. Still have to mount the mobo tray.

(Front of the case)

Well that's it for now . . . stay tuned for more.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 25, 2013, 08:48 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Awesome stuff. Keep up the good work.
Old August 26, 2013, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks much . . . on holidays starting tomorrow so once I get a few things off my plate, I am hoping to get back at it.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 26, 2013, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice! Have a great time.
Old August 31, 2013, 03:53 PM
Rookie

Well done!
Old September 2, 2013, 04:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlink1 View Post
Well done!

Thanks much.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 4, 2014, 05:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hi all,

Okay some time ago I was working on this build . . . actually almost a year ago and then life got in the way . . . funny how that happens . You finish one thing only to be overtaken by events and before you know it a year has gone by and no modding has been done.

So, I have finally finished what needed to be done, went back down to my workshop yesterday and looked at the dusty mess which was this build. A lot of cleaning / determining what the heck I was doing and where I left off a year ago and I think I finally have it moving in a positive direction. However, I wanted to get one mod rolling (to get back on the horse sort to speak). So I decided I would work on making the intended PSU fit the build theme.

PSU - Making it METRO Oriented

I started with an old Corsair HX750 PSU and stripped it apart.

I wanted to give it a complete paint job so I taped off everything and started with a "ruddy brown" primer which was going to provide the base rust appearance of something that has been used extensively and give it a post apocalyptic feel. Afterall what is an apocalypse without rust and wear?

The final paint job consisted of a light spray of olive drab to mix in with the rusted look and some weathering using aluminum brushed feathering along the edges. I wanted it to look well used. I kind of wimped out on the attached CPU power cords and rather than doing individual para-cording (I never have luck with Corsair double cables), I gave the existing a cords a spraying of paint and weathering effects to give them a used and worn look. Hey what the heck . . . it is an apocalypse after all . . . make due with what you have . . . Right?

Finally, I added some decals in keeping with the METRO Last Light theme (Communist Faction) and just to make things a little less boring

Hope you enjoyed

Cheers

Fen
Old August 4, 2014, 08:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Good to see you back in action Fenny

Nice work on the psu
Old August 4, 2014, 08:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks great!

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP