Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2013, 11:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Looking forward to this... I've toted more than my share of those bloody cans over the years. :)

I didn't notice you mentioning it, but have you found a way to mount the two cans together? As far as the cutting discs go... 4's not that bad considering the material, but a jigsaw would work as well.
Hear you about toting your share of ammo cans . . . don't miss those days.

WRT mounting the ammo cans together . . . now that I have access to the interior of both cans (hole cut through the bottom of top can and lid of the bottom can, I have a small lip on three sides of each ammo can (one side has to stay smooth for the mobo tray). I will pop rivet the top to the bottom along the lips of the two cans. Access will be gained through a side panel on the back side of each can. The front ammo can (holding the PSU) will be bolted to the two rear cans for stability.

Sorry not very good at explaining these things and I suck at rendering art so all this is floating around in my head at present or scribbled on bits of paper everywhere. I hope over the span of the next couple of days I will have all the parts ready for assembly with some good pics.

Tried the jig saw but my saw is super pathetic and kept getting jammed in the metal. So the dremel will have to do for now (would love to buy a new saw but as my dog's surgery ate up my build budget . . . a new saw is not in the works )

Cheers and thanks for the comments.

Fen
Old August 16, 2013, 05:50 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fenny View Post
Hear you about toting your share of ammo cans . . . don't miss those days.

WRT mounting the ammo cans together . . . now that I have access to the interior of both cans (hole cut through the bottom of top can and lid of the bottom can, I have a small lip on three sides of each ammo can (one side has to stay smooth for the mobo tray). I will pop rivet the top to the bottom along the lips of the two cans. Access will be gained through a side panel on the back side of each can. The front ammo can (holding the PSU) will be bolted to the two rear cans for stability.

Sorry not very good at explaining these things and I suck at rendering art so all this is floating around in my head at present or scribbled on bits of paper everywhere. I hope over the span of the next couple of days I will have all the parts ready for assembly with some good pics.

Tried the jig saw but my saw is super pathetic and kept getting jammed in the metal. So the dremel will have to do for now (would love to buy a new saw but as my dog's surgery ate up my build budget . . . a new saw is not in the works )

Cheers and thanks for the comments.

Fen
Cool, I didn't realize that you had a lip. As far as explaining goes, you're miles ahead of the great majority of us when it comes to using your creativity to manufacture / mod your PC. If a process isn't perfectly clear then all the better as it forces us to try to work out a solution ourselves. ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 16, 2013, 09:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

UPDATED

Hi all,

I have been working away today on completing more of the ammo can dissection in order to prep it to receive the internal components. For the most part the back half of the build is complete and ready for priming, painting and assembly (minus a few details).

Case Access

I thought about this one for awhile. Originally I figured I could easily access the interior of the case through the ammo can lids. However, during a trial I found that while I could access the top portion of the case quite easily through the top, the bottom half proved difficult. So I thought about a standard access door. The only problem was that I had two ammo cans stacked together with a lid separating the top half from the bottom. So I decided on two separate access panels (top and bottom). For the access panel doors, I decided to salvage the remainder of the old case not already in service.

Access Opening

First I had to measure out the dimensions of the opening.

The next step was to cut out the opening and file/sand it smooth

Salvage was used to make the panel - I needed something rigid in order to mount a door fan

My fancy high tech bending gadget was used to shape the door.

Final Product

Top Venting

My intent is to put an intake fan in the bottom of the case with a top venting fan - this is the only thing I purchased for this build ( I BitFenix Green LED fan). The rest is salvaged from the old computer or things I had lying around the basement. I wasn't sure how the Dremel would hold up against the top the ammo can as it had a double layer of metal . . . in the end it took one cutting wheel.

I was looking for mesh and in the end I found a metal drywall patch which worked great

This is how the fan will mount to the bottom of the lid.

Dry Fitting

I am now ready to assemble the main portion of the case but before I do that, I wanted to dry fit everything to make sure it all fit. The next step will be to sand, prime, paint and assemble

What you are looking at is actually the back of the case. In order to maintain the integrity of the three stacked ammo cans, the ammo can holding the PSU will be located at the front. You can see the two access doors (one is secured and can be removed using the screws. The black lines on the bottom access door indicates where the intake fan will be. I am thinking about putting a small plexi-glass widow in the top access pane so you can see in . . . What do you think?

These shots show the GPU expansion bays dry fitted. Once everything is painted, this and the mobo tray will be pop riveted to the case.

Looking down at the top venting mesh.

In case you were wondering how I plan to connect the two ammo cans . . . I kept a lip on the bottom the top can and the lid of the bottom can. I will rivet the two together at this point.

The concept complete . . . the front ammo can will also have an access panel so the PSU can be accessed.

There is that pesky gas mask again . . . still keeping that secret until later

Hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 17, 2013, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hello all,

Well it has been a busy day, both personally and with the mod. Could not spend too much time on the case today so I decided to suffice with a couple of extra mods, prime and assemble the two ammo cans which comprise the main case

Firstly, I wanted to incorporate one of two salvaged USB hubs in the build. I decided that it would be mounted in the lid of the top ammo can. It took a bit of doing and three cutting disks . . . The Dremel just did not like the double layer of metal. Once the USB hub metal cage was in place and secured, I used caulking to seal the area and smooth it out prior to priming.

The other mod I did was to cut the fan hole for the bottom access panel. This will be for the intake fan with the exhaust fan being in the lid of the top ammo can.

Once these mods were finished, I primed all the parts for the main case. I decided on this colour to primer as a base weathering coat but will be returning the cans to their original olive drab. However, the olive drab will be lightly applied so the primer still pokes through. My intent is to use the primer to create a weathered effect . . . rusty. Funny thing about nuclear apocalypses . . . ammo cans tend to rust and weather.

Putting it all Together

So now it was the moment of truth, did I lay this out properly and would it all fit together.

Remember, this was all in my head and was re-written as I worked so I had no drawings or master plan. I had an idea what it should look like, measured accordingly and now I was going to find out if the build continued or if I would have to go and liberate three more ammo cans.

Prior to connecting the two ammo cases, I installed the IO shield using pop rivets . . . so far so good

With the IO shield in place, I then attached the two ammo cans together to form the main case. To facilitate attachment, when I cut the access holes between the two cans, I left a lip around both access holes (except for the mobo side which had to be flat). I used this lip to rivet the two cans together.

With the two cans connected, I now had the main case. This is where the mobo, GPU and one HDD will be installed. All in all I was please with the result. There are a few gaps which need to be dealt with but I now have a smooth surface to mount the mobo tray and I can access both the top and bottom of the case.

The view below is actually the back of the case. Remember, the concept is three stacked ammo cans with the front ammo can holding the PSU . . .

. . . The smooth surface opposite the two access ports is where the mobo tray will be mounted. I can't do this until I complete the last ammo can which will hold the PSU and another HDD.

Rear of the case. I still have to finish attaching the IO shield but this can't be done until I get the mobo tray mounted.

Front of the main case. The top lid is still functional but I won't really need to use it as I can access everything through the back side panels.

This view is actually the front of the case. The small access port in the bottom right corner of the can is for wiring from the PSU can which will be attached to the main case.

These last two shots show the two mods I talked about above in their finished state. The USB hub turned out better than I expected. The access panel will be fitted with an intake fan later on in the build. As far as the top access port goes, the panel I am making will have a plexi-glass window. Thought that might be a nice touch so at least you can look in from time to time.

That's it for now. Hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

Fen
Old August 18, 2013, 06:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Window Dressing

Hi all,

Not much of an update, but alas, I have to attend to the yard work today so I thought I would keep it small. For those of you who have played the game, you will know that a few things are very important: (1) never go on the surface without your gas mask and; (2) always scrounge for ammunition.

Right, so I have the gas mask which I will incorporate at some juncture . So I figured I should pay homage to another important element . . . ammo.

Look what I got.

Before all you ammo purists say . . . "Hey those are .303 rounds" . . . I would have loved to get my hands on 7.62 x39mm soviet rounds but unfortunately, it was not in the cards . . . So .303 will have to suffice as a stand-in

I wanted to have a clip of ammo but was unable to locate one so I decided to fabricate a clip out of sheet metal . . . this was not the easiest thing to do as the bend required was an 1/8th of an inch so it took some patience to get it right.

Okay, the end result may not be pretty but for the most part you won't see the crimped ends.

I wanted to age the clip so it looked as though it has been hanging around and reused over time. Started with the base rust colour then a light dusting of black.

The final product.

Oh well the lawnmower beckons

Cheers

Fen
Old August 18, 2013, 06:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Love it, great idea with the stripper clip and rounds. The scavenging of parts for the build really ties into the whole theme of the case.

Looking forward to the completed build
Old August 18, 2013, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

hehehe... why do I get the feeling there might have been a few cuss words uttered while making that clip? :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 18, 2013, 06:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvestor View Post
Love it, great idea with the stripper clip and rounds. The scavenging of parts for the build really ties into the whole theme of the case.

Looking forward to the completed build
Thanks much for your comments. I find scavenging for parts to be the best part of the build. Currently rummaging around for some sort of mesh to cover the intake fan opening. I think I am going to go with a piece of old small mesh wire fencing I found

Cheers

Fen
Old August 18, 2013, 06:48 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
hehehe... why do I get the feeling there might have been a few cuss words uttered while making that clip? :)
LOL . . . just a few. I would have given the world for one lousy clip . . . I can't even imagine how many of those things I left lying around in various training fields (not to mention the bags of them on ranges).

Cheers

Fen
Old August 20, 2013, 06:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

OPINION NEEDED

Hi all,

As this is a tribute build to Metro Last Light I am currently working on concepts for artwork to apply to identify the build.

As you may recall, I am building this case out of three ammo cans. The back two cans will form the main case with the third case holding the PSU and one HD. Access to the PSU ammo can will not be possible through the top lid due to build constraints, however I will be incorporating an access panel and that is where I want to apply the artwork.

This is the stacking concept - the front solitary ammo can is where the proposed artwork will go:

In deciding on artwork, I wanted to incorporate the "M" used by the game to signify the Metro. While the background artwork will be computer generated, the actual "M" will be cut from sheet aluminum which will be primed and painted to match the "M" in the artwork. This will then be affixed to the artwork on the access panel . . . confused yet . . . I am and I wrote this

Anyway, what I need an opinion on is the background artwork. I currently have two options:

OPTION A

OPITION B

So let me know what you think.

Thanks

Fen