Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Love this build thus far SS your doing a awesome job.

Can't wait to start building again.

Love the use of clamps, giving me tons of ideas for my next build.

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old July 28, 2013, 09:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Love this build thus far SS your doing a awesome job.

Can't wait to start building again.

Love the use of clamps, giving me tons of ideas for my next build.
Glad to hear it, that's the main reason I do these logs as I progress. I'm always looking at other builds and trying to incorporate parts of what I see into the parts I either have on hand, or can fairly easily get. In some cases the plans work out, in others (like attempting to put a bend into the tubing) not so much.... ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 29, 2013, 05:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Name:  Leaktest_overall.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  128.4 KB Name:  Leaktest_standoff.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  111.6 KB

Leaktesting round two. One of the ghost barbs on the vid card leaked a bit.... replaced the barb and added a wee bit of plumbers' helper to the threads and I seem to be good to go.

In order to fill the loop I needed access to the fill port on the bay res so I had to be able to pull it right out of the case for filling / leaktesting which is one of the reasons why I set it up for easy removal of the lower tubing from the standoff.

As far as the functioning of the parallel loop goes, we've passed the first hurdle in that there seems to be tons of flow through the gpu. I won't know for sure about the CPU until I can get some temp readings off of it, but there's very little restriction on that block so I'm relatively confident that it'll be fine.

On another note.... what a pain in the arse doing anything with that motherboard tray once the GPU / CPU loop is secured, and the cables from the front portion of the motherboard are routed properly (not connected to the motherboard, just stowed away under the rad). I had to lift up the one side to tighten up the screw under the tray that's securing the clamp standoff and I had to disconnect damn near every connector as well as break the loop (this was prior to filling it with water).

Moving the motherboard tray around with a thin rad installed is a major PITA, and I don't even want to think what it would be like with a thicker one in there (I probably would consider removing the rad for access).

edit: Loop only took a couple of hours to bleed itself (1/2 hour active power on/power off bleeding to start). So far so good.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP

Last edited by sswilson; July 29, 2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old July 30, 2013, 06:40 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

The case looks really fun to work with.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:35 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by onin View Post
The case looks really fun to work with.
It's certainly unique and while it's got some quirks I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to somebody so long as they were aware of the shortcomings.

Quick and dirty results on the loop are in and they're mostly positive.

The CPU block appears to be on par with the previous serial loop in a traditional case and while the GPU temps seem to have taken a bit of a hit it's not that bad.

CPU after 20 minutes OCCT was 63 vice 58 (about on par considering +5c ambient) and after 15 minutes Kombustor the GPU is maxing out at 69c which is about 10c more than what I remember so it's off by about 5c even after adjusting for a higher ambient temp.

Quite frankly if the only hit was about 5c on the vid card I'm more than happy with the outcome.

edit: disregard the temps listed in this post... when checking temps on a new loop, it generally helps if all of the rad fans are running....

edit #2: 15c difference on the GPU with two fans running vice only one.... ;)

Last edited by sswilson; July 30, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old July 30, 2013, 09:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Super project WCing the xb

horizontal motherboards is quite the trend these days

hope it keeps up
Old July 31, 2013, 03:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Fuzzy View Post
Super project WCing the xb

horizontal motherboards is quite the trend these days

hope it keeps up
Basically an attempt to take the test bench format into the mainstream. The XB would be a bit weird to use as an actual test bed because of the lack of access to the lower half once the motherboard tray is in place, but it's a good start, and the price is certainly right at around $100. WCing it is a bit of a chore, but I'm quite happy with the results, and it's a relatively straight forward loop in spite of the cramped working conditions.

On to final pics & comments..... ;)

Name:  Top Glimpse.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  137.9 KB Name:  Glimpse RR.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  104.7 KB
Name:  Glimpse lf.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  121.7 KB Name:  Glimpse lr.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  107.6 KB

I've had a couple of folks question why I put so much work into WC'd rigs inside cases without windows and while my picture taking skills are most certainly lacking hopefully these pics will help explain it a bit... :)

I don't put my PCs on display, and honestly don't have that much traffic going past them, but what I'd like to think happens from time to time is the "WTH factor" where the light catches something inside the case through a grill which looks completely out of place and thus grabs the person's attention. Does it work?? Not all that often, but every once in a while I'll get a "wait a minute... what the H E double hockey sticks is going on inside there?" comment. :)

Name:  Front complete.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  119.0 KB Name:  Rear Complete.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  118.6 KB
Name:  Resfront close.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  125.3 KB

As per my previous comments, not much going on from the outside of the case unless you happen to notice the small(ish) cutout for the res. I ended up repainting that res cover after tearing the coating when I tightened the screws the first time I installed it. If you're going to use something like progrip then keep the "just tight enough" principal in mind. :)

And no... the water level isn't low in my res, what's visible in the pic is from the way the return line tube is manufactured internal to the res.

Name:  loop top down.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  151.3 KB Name:  Loop CPU side.jpg
Views: 2176
Size:  170.7 KB
Name:  loop gpu side.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  159.4 KB Name:  loop gpu side 2.jpg
Views: 1453
Size:  162.2 KB
Name:  lower portion loop side1.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  123.6 KB Name:  lower portion loop side2.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  129.7 KB

Here's the loop I ended up with. After some discussion ( CPU block in parallel with GPU block? ) I decided to try out a loop which put the GPU and CPU in parallel and keep my fingers crossed that the two blocks would be reasonably well matched for flow otherwise the consensus was that I'd get poor cooling on the more restrictive block. After throwing everything I could at it I'm happy to report that the two blocks seem to be well matched. After 1 1/2 hrs of simultaneous 100% CPU and 99% GPU load I maxed out at 62c for both @ ambient of 27c. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.

As far as clearances go, the tubing doesn't rub up against any of the case, but the two exiting the res are touching ever so slightly... not enough to affect the loop at all, and IMO not enough that I'll see any wear from vibrations.

Name:  Lower portion SSD side.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  135.6 KB Name:  wire stowage under rad and MB power cable tape.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  153.1 KB

Finally, just a quick shot of the lower compartment PSU side, my jury rigged SSD mount, upper compartment / under rad wire stowage, and something that really didn't work out the way I wanted it to.... ;)

On the SSD side, the X-Docks seem to be working fine, but I've still got SATA power connectors to spare in case they crap out. I've also run an extra SATA Data cable and tucked it away under those wires. This will allow me to slave in an optical drive if I end up without access to my USB one.

In the second picture you can see the ample room under the rad for stowing and securing cables. It's been mentioned in most of the reviews I've seen, but it's worth saying again that Cooler Master really went out of their way to get the cable management portion of this case just right.

Now... as to what didn't really work.... ;)

Dead center of that image is the main MB power connector and no, that's not electrical tape.... it's a rubberized tape that stretches and shapes to any form.... as a protection against damage it's not bad at all, for looks I'd give it a 2/10 at best.... ;)

I'm even considering spraying it with the progrip, but I'll save that for a later day.

Anywise... that's it for the build. Thanks for looking!

Old July 31, 2013, 06:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Here's the loop I ended up with. After some discussion ( CPU block in parallel with GPU block? ) I decided to try out a loop which put the GPU and CPU in parallel and keep my fingers crossed that the two blocks would be reasonably well matched for flow otherwise the consensus was that I'd get poor cooling on the more restrictive block. After throwing everything I could at it I'm happy to report that the two blocks seem to be well matched. After 1 1/2 hrs of simultaneous 100% CPU and 99% GPU load I maxed out at 62c for both @ ambient of 27c. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome.
Glad that thing worked out for ya mang! That's awesome and it looks awesome too! Great job on this build!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old August 11, 2013, 02:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Really slick. That mesh top of the case is just begging to be replaced with an acrylic window though. Even if no one will ever look into it :D
Old August 11, 2013, 07:41 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice job!! Working in a tight space is not easy and you did it very well!

Tags
coolermaster , cpu , custom , gpu , haf xb , loop , parallel , water cooling , xspc