Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2013, 08:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Name:  bend wires.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  111.4 KB Name:  Bend outcome.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  111.0 KB

So here's where we started last night........ I was trying to get fancy with heating (with boiling water) and shaping the tubing. I wanted to have a 90 deg bend 3" from the res barb which would take the tubing to the side of the case, and then another 90 deg bend offset 45 deg upwards to take the tubing up the side of the case.

To do this I had a 1/2" OD fuel hose stuffed with straight hanger stock (to allow it to bend and hold the shape) and then capped off with high heat RTV silicone to keep the water away from the hanger stock...... I was hoping to be able to bend the angles I wanted, heat the tubing, cool the tubing to permanently mold the plastic to the bend, and lastly straighten out the fuel hose tubing to pull it out, but hoping that the tubing would spring back into the proper shape. I also wrapped the bends tightly in the hopes of keeping the ID as round as possible.

As you can see from the after picture... It kinda got part of the way there, but in all honesty not close enough to be worth doing again unless I had a limitless supply of tubing to test on. I'll probably attempt a single bend on a few of the component legs of the loop, but this application really would have required too much precision in the length & angles of the bends in order for it to work. (wayyyy tooo complicated for my first attempt, but hey, that's why this is a hobby and not a job......... :) ).

Name:  Outlet side.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  125.9 KB Name:  Outlet top.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  132.7 KB

Flash forward to today and this is what we've ended up with. :) It's a little less ambitious, but I still formed (and straightened) the tubing with hot water, I just stuck with hand forming the general direction of the two bends I was looking for rather than attempting to make precise bends.

We're going to go Res (output) - Upper rad - Components (probably cpu block first to make for a short run from the GFX to the case side) - res (inlet). That's going to make the initial filling of the loop a bit of a pain (I can pull the res forward enough to get to the fill port), but I'm thinking I can prime the loop from that top rad fitting..... If I break the loop there I can fill the rad as well as most of the line you can see there. Once I close the loop, water from the res / pump would then force the water in the rad into the rest of the loop. (Well that's the plan anywise.... ;) ).

Name:  safety logo.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  145.9 KB

Just a bit of a side note... I noticed these logos after seeing the first tubing pic I put up.... I'm not sure I've ever seen the safety / recycle /disposal logos stamped directly into the metal of a case.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 26, 2013, 12:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmmm.... am I missing something????

Is there not a standard for 200mm fan mounting holes yet? The mounts on the top of this case are 18 X 11 cm while both 200mm fans I've got (bitfenix and tt) are 15.5 cm square.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 26, 2013, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looking good . I've been interested in this case since it was released, and wondered what a water cooled build would be like in it. I'm starting to get the upgrade itch again and want to do something different from my 600t like a cube case or something like this. With all my metal working skills I've never actually taken the time to modify a case...might be time to start hacking on something or maybe even build my own . I'll be interested to see how this turns out, maybe it'll inspire me.
Old July 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Hrmmmm.... am I missing something????

Is there not a standard for 200mm fan mounting holes yet? The mounts on the top of this case are 18 X 11 cm while both 200mm fans I've got (bitfenix and tt) are 15.5 cm square.
I've got a few Coolermaster 200mm fans and other fans if you need them that are 200mm if you want to confirm ?
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old July 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I posted this up elsewhere in the forums, but will drop the pic in here for continuity of the build thread.

This is going to be loop rev. 1 (I haven't had much luck sticking with the first loop in any WC'd case I've ever owned.... ;) ). Ignore the purple tubing, that's just roughed in while I await a fresh shipment of the black primochill.

Basically what I want to try is a loop with the GPU and CPU in parallel just like you'd have with WC'd sli'd GPUs.

The downside is that there might be an issue if the two blocks don't present close to the same amount of restriction on the loop. The upside is that it allows me to make a much cleaner loop in the confined space that I'm dealing with. If I hadn't done it this way the next option would have been a large looping tube coming from the rad going over the GPU to the inlet of the block and I've already got a much longer run of tubing from the lower section of the case than I'd like.

I'll give the loop a try in this configuration and if it doesn't work out I'll just have to redo it differently.

edit:

Name:  side in_out.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  123.9 KB Name:  top clearance.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  147.6 KB

Just a few more shots of the roughed in loop. The more I see, the harder I'm crossing my fingers that the two blocks are compatible for a parallel loop. Not only are the runs fairly short, but I've got easy clearance all around between case, components, and even between the input/output runs from the res.

As far as the build goes.... I've jigged up a decent standoff for the tubing clamps (previous images had a silver piece I was using until I came up with something better) and those clamps will be getting some form of colour treatment (I had some marvelous 1/2" ones that were already black, but that was for 3/8" tubing).

Last edited by sswilson; July 26, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old July 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The tubing turned out great even thought you had to abandon the 90 degree bend. I was amazed at the amount of time you spent trying to shape a 90 degree bend. That is someone who truly likes to be innovative . . . I would have packed it in much sooner.

You are right, I don't think I have ever seen logos stamped directly on the metal case . . . interesting approach to make sure you recycle.

Looking forward to more updates

Cheers

Fen
Old July 27, 2013, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I mentioned above that I was looking at options for blackening the white nylon clamps I had and am happy to say that I've found a new (to me) item for my building toolbox.......

Name:  Rit Box.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  146.1 KB

Maybe I'm the only one in the community who didn't already know about using this stuff, but just in case I'm not, Rit is a fabric dye that's been around at least since the 60's tie-dye era, and it comes in a multitude of colours. Why do we care??? Well, mainly because it not only works on fabrics, it'll also work on items manufactured with nylon like the white cable clamps you can see in the last batch of images......

Name:  black and white.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  70.7 KB Name:  Black single.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  60.5 KB

The first pic demonstrates the contrast between the before and after, and as you can see from the second pic it's a perfectly even coating, but it's also colourfast dye so it should be permanent unlike a paint treatment that can crack or chip. On top of that... it comes in a powder that dissolves in water and I've got a sneaking suspicion that my preserves jar worth of mixed dye will last me forever. :)

Name:  Black and white clamps in loop.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  115.4 KB

Here you can see the difference in the loop. The white clamps are so bright and out of place that you might not even notice the set of identical black clamps above them. :)

This certainly puts a whole new light on rummaging through the nylon fastener bin(s) at hardware stores wishing they came in colours other than white. :)

edit: I forgot to mention that anybody considering using this stuff should read the instructions very, very carefully and pay particular attention to what kinds of materials aren't affected by this dye... I suspect that turning either the laundry tub, or even worse the acrylic bathtub / sink black (or whatever colour you're using) might be a sure trip to the doghouse..... ;)

Last edited by sswilson; July 27, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old July 28, 2013, 12:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Name:  Mount holes under MB tray.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  118.7 KB Name:  clamp standoff.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  107.7 KB

Name:  HDD cage.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  76.0 KB Name:  SDD mounted.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  105.4 KB

One of the features I don't remember being mentioned in the few reviews I looked at prior to purchasing this case are the holes in the first image. They're located on the motherboard tray support beams but are recessed to prevent inserted fastener heads from interfering with the MB tray when it's installed.

As you can see from the rest of these images, they're perfect for things like standoffs for tubing clamps, or (as is the case of the last two pics) as a mounting spot for a third HDD/SDD if you decide to remove the 2.5" drive cage to allow room for a custom loop. In my case, I was lucky enough to have a metal 2.5" - 3.5" adapter tray from one of my corsair SSDs that was perfect for the job.

Name:  Cables topview.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  135.0 KB Name:  Cables ssd side.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  134.7 KB

Name:  Cables tube side.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  133.2 KB Name:  Cables center channel.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  139.6 KB

Today's build time was dedicated to cable management on the lower half of the case as well as routing upper cabling to a position where it's pretty much plug and play once I get the motherboard installed.

As you can see, the case offers excellent support for zap strap cable management both on the case bottom and the sides (cable above the SSD). I'm pleased with how this turned out, and quite impressed with how well the case design allows for MB/GPU power connectors to be routed directly to the connectors topside.

As you can see from the last image I've left the X-Dock quick swap panel in place (against the advice of one of our staff members who's been using a HAF XB for a while ), but if you have a look at the second image with the SSD cabling, you'll see that I've left lots of easy access to extra Sata power connectors if it doesn't work as advertised. Aside from that... the only thing I'd change is to get off my butt and search for some kind of black cloth bag to cover those open molex connectors with. I threatened to do that with the Ghost Build, but still haven't gotten around to finding one.

I'm also inclined to agree with comments I heard elsewhere about there being a lot of wasted space in the bottom. Once the 2.5" HDD cage is removed you're left with a ton of empty space, but in spite of that extra space, it still feels a bit cramped doing the cable management in the lower section.

Last edited by sswilson; July 28, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:24 PM

My System Specs

That is 3/8" ID 5/8" OD? I've never seen clamps that held tubing that large. The largest I have is 1/2" clamps.

You can use the Rit on the tubing as well if you ever need more black tubing. I use to dye all my Tygon tubing w/ it since black Tygon was very hard to find.

I tried the ProGrip today. I see what you mean with it taking a bunch of time to get actual product out of the can. I thought my can was faulty until I started to see it dribble out ever so slowly. The spray is also harder to control. It sprays all over the place. HOWEVER I think its finish is quite a bit better than Plastidip. It is much darker and it doesn't seem to pick up dust so easy.
Old July 28, 2013, 08:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
That is 3/8" ID 5/8" OD? I've never seen clamps that held tubing that large. The largest I have is 1/2" clamps.

You can use the Rit on the tubing as well if you ever need more black tubing. I use to dye all my Tygon tubing w/ it since black Tygon was very hard to find.

I tried the ProGrip today. I see what you mean with it taking a bunch of time to get actual product out of the can. I thought my can was faulty until I started to see it dribble out ever so slowly. The spray is also harder to control. It sprays all over the place. HOWEVER I think its finish is quite a bit better than Plastidip. It is much darker and it doesn't seem to pick up dust so easy.
Nope, it's 1/2" ID 3/4" OD. In fact, if you look closely at the image of them in the loop you can make out the 3/4 measurement on it just left of the nut. Princess auto something like $3 for a bag of 10. As a person who's done my share of aircraft wiring bundles, I can vouch that they come in sizes much larger than that as well. :)

I'm not sure how enamored I still am with the progrip. For something that's supposed to be used for coating things like tool handles, it doesn't seem to adhere very well when any kind of torque is applied to the surface. It looks great, but I'm thinking it's only suitable for a surface that's not going to come in contact with anything else (like a screw head etc.... ).

Tags
coolermaster , cpu , custom , gpu , haf xb , loop , parallel , water cooling , xspc