Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2013, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default New Build - Regulus: 980X & GTX 650ti Boost SLI

Just finished up "Regulus" today.....the 650ti Boost Cards finally showed up.
Build is for my daughter and her spouse, a combination of new parts and "recycled" parts. Went this route as someone here told me I'd be lucky to get $400 for the 980X, X58 Mobo and RAM......feel better recycling it to family then "giving" it away ;)
Impressed with the 650ti Boost 2GB Cards running SLI, very impressive Cards for $180 each!!!

Build:
CPU: Intel 980X OC'd to 4 Ghz (Recycled)
Mobo: Evga X58 Classified 759 w NF200 (Recycled)
RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600 Mhz 8-8-8-24-2T (Recycled)
SSD: 1 x 120GB Intel (Games) and 1 x 80GB Intel (OS) - (Recycled)
HDD: 1 x WD Black 640GB (Recycled)
PSU: Corsair HX 850W (New)
Cooler: Corsair H100i (New)
GPU's: Evga GTX 650ti Boost 2GB SLi (New)
Case: Fractal R2 EATX Black Pearl (New)
W7 HP x64 (Recycled)

Note: Yes, I name my PC's after "Navigational Stars" ;) ..Thanks for stopping by and checking it out..

Old July 3, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Cost off parts was huge compared to today.

I have 3 9xx builds that I should do something with. I'm in a similar state. 965, 920 and 930 i7s.
Old July 3, 2013, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^^ Build one for the kids!! I look for any excuse to put a Rig together ;)

Old July 5, 2013, 09:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A little bit of advice.

- For the power supply, take those big power connections and tuck them right into the left corner of the lower grommet. You will see less of them this way.
- Take the main power cable and raise it up one grommet before it connects to the board.
- Take the lower pice power cable and put it with the other pcie cable up one grommet. This will allow a cleaner look since you zip tied them together later anyway. It will also allow your SATA cables to look cleaner.
- tuck all of the extra sata cable where it attaches to the board away in behind the grommet.
- try to tuck away the excess cable that leads to the dvdrw.

I have atached mine for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by crazyea; July 5, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ Thanks but the cover is on it and my son in law is gaming away

btw it was a total rush job, I had a pretty short time to put it together.....I got to there house at 11:30 and was out of there by 14:30 fully built, Windows installed and updated, Drivers and a couple of quick Benchmarks, including a 4Ghz OC ......so I wasnt to "anal" with aesthetics

Old July 6, 2013, 11:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

had I paid enough attention I would have noticed it was for someone else. I got carried away since it was in the gallery.

lucky kid.
Old July 6, 2013, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah no worries, I would have liked to have spent more time, but rush rush rush ;) As long as I dont hear from them now about BSOD or CTD etc I'll be happy...that the problem with building PC's for family, now there your responsibility !!!

You should consider ditching that big ole Air Cooler and throwing in a 100i....I swear by these things since ditching my TRUE.....when I went from the TRUE to the 100i I was able to take my 980X (there's now) from 4.2 to 4.4 Ghz, very good cooler and neat!!

Old July 6, 2013, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

yeh. it's funny. Ask one (Sister) to watch my kids, oh I run a daycare this is what it will cost. Ask another (brother) to help with some electrical, well this is my rate. Ask me to fix computer for them, I dont ask for a cent, even though i have quite a bit of training and experience. lol family.