Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 29, 2013, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Need mod help from those who know

Hello all,

For those of you who have been following my Work Log "Canticle of the Apocalypse", you know that I have a very specific theme on the go - "battle worn, aged, rusted but re-purposed"

I am down to the short strokes prior to mounting hardware and have aged/worn just about everything with the exception of two pieces (1) The MOBO - Sabertooth X79; and (2) The GPU - Zotac 660 Ti. Both these pieces have colour themes which will work quite well. My only concern is that once I mount them, with the amount of aging I have applied, is that these pieces will stick out like sore thumbs in comparison to the rest . . . or with the amount of cabling, cooler hosing, etc, to go in installing the hardware it may be a moot point. I have provided a few shots below for comparison:

Types of aging mods done to date:

The two potential offending pieces:

Now, this is my first ever attempt an modding anything (let alone a computer) and to be honest, aging/painting/anything to these two pieces scares the out of me. I have done a lot of reading and I have come to the conclusion that the MOBO is a "hands off sacrosanct" type of thing and any paint even remotely touching the board could lead to certain doom. Too bad the X79 did not retain the Tuff Armour mobo cover of previous versions, I could have just removed and painted then replaced. The only thing I could see possible painting (if they can be removed) are the two black plastic shrouds on the onboard fans - was thinking remove, age then replace (if possible).

The GPU offers the potential of painting/rusting the shroud much like I did the H80i but then again I am not sure. A lot of sites say "hands off" the shroud will get hot and melt/flake paint into your mobo. Others say it has nothing to do with heat only direction of airflow. So does anyone have a definitive response to whether I can safely paint the shroud (only if I can remove it that is)?

Like I said, in the end, I only want my theme to work but then I don't want to compromise the integrity of these key hardware pieces. Do you think it would be better to do some altering (paint shroud -potentially paint mobo fan covers) and leave the rest pristine or just leave them both pristine. To be honest a bit out of my depth here . . . any help/advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 29, 2013, 08:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For the mobo.

Age the chipset shroud.
Age the I/O Shroud.
Use some thin camo netting/covering for the rest.

For the GPU.

The fan shroud could be aged carefully.
Maybe some netting off the back.

OR.

Cut some light plastic / plexiglass and make a cover similar to what the other Sabretooth m/b's have on them. then age that.
Old June 29, 2013, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
For the mobo.

Age the chipset shroud.
Age the I/O Shroud.
Use some thin camo netting/covering for the rest.

For the GPU.

The fan shroud could be aged carefully.
Maybe some netting off the back.

OR.

Cut some light plastic / plexiglass and make a cover similar to what the other Sabretooth m/b's have on them. then age that.
Thanks much for the ideas. Thought about making a cover but I have read that if you don't do it right you run the potential of the mobo heating up, besides, I wouldn't even know where to start . . . very scary

I do like the other ideas. I am assuming I will have to make sure that I keep myself and the workplace free of static during the process.

Cheers Fen
Old June 29, 2013, 12:15 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For the mesh idea, maybe you can hang it away from the board.
Old June 29, 2013, 12:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think we need to see the board installed. It might not even need anything.
Old June 29, 2013, 12:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
I think we need to see the board installed. It might not even need anything.
Hi, I think I agree on waiting to see what the board looks like installed. The theme color of the board is still very military and with the other mods it might not need anything.

How about the GPU, I would love to age the shroud the same way I did the H80i but I am conflicted on whether it may cause more damage than good.

Cheers and thanks

Fen
Old June 29, 2013, 01:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If all your doing on the GPU is the plastic shroud and fans I wouldn't worry too much. Removing them from the card would would make it easier to work with. Doesn't look like many screws are needed.

I think painting the heatsink would impact gpu temperature. Making a backplate for the card that you could scuff up would be best approach for aging the most visible part IMO.
Old June 29, 2013, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hey Astaroth,

Thanks much. It was plan to just paint the shroud much like I painted the H80i rad (rusty). Wasn't planning on touching the fans (I don't think I would know how to remove them).

I have heard of the "back plate" before. Excuse my noobness . . . what exactly is that.