Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2013, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I've started wearing a winter glove on the hand holding the connector, I can get a nice grip on it without tearing up my hand :)
Old July 6, 2013, 11:17 AM

My System Specs

You shouldn't need ANY force on the tool/staples after they are in place. Place the two staples on each side of the connector, they should mostly just slide in place w/ little to no force. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to gently push them in place if you can't get it to work w/ your hands. Now just let go of the staples, they should hold in place by themselves. Take the needle nose pliers and leverage the cable out from the back of the connector. I just roll the pliers against the connector. Wire should come out rather easy for most power supplies. If you think the wire is going to pull out of the crimp instead of the connector, stop. Then use a small hex key and instead push directly on the front of the crimp from the front of the connector, the wire should pop out rather easy if the staples are in place.
Old July 7, 2013, 07:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
You shouldn't need ANY force on the tool/staples after they are in place. Place the two staples on each side of the connector, they should mostly just slide in place w/ little to no force. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to gently push them in place if you can't get it to work w/ your hands. Now just let go of the staples, they should hold in place by themselves. Take the needle nose pliers and leverage the cable out from the back of the connector. I just roll the pliers against the connector. Wire should come out rather easy for most power supplies. If you think the wire is going to pull out of the crimp instead of the connector, stop. Then use a small hex key and instead push directly on the front of the crimp from the front of the connector, the wire should pop out rather easy if the staples are in place.
Thanks much for your advice . . . ran into a couple of tough wires on the PCI-E and used the small hex key idea and they came right out

Cheers

Fen
Old July 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORKLOG PART 8

Cables sleeves and the art of aging

Hello all,

Haven't been able to do much on the build . . . funny how work gets in the way of fun

I have finished sleeving my cables and thought I would share the final products with you . . . I will say, this is probably the single worst nightmare I encountered on this build If you have been following this work log you will know my angst with the 24 pin connector . . . that only continued with the rest of the cables. But with some patience, several staples and half a bottle of scotch they all got finished.

24 Pin Connector

PCI-E

Molex

SATA

The Art of Aging

Of course to keep the job in line with the case theme, I cannot have pristine sleeved cables running across the build. So with the help of some fireplace charcoal and paint, all the cables were aged to give them that used look. Below is a sample using the PCI-E . . . Remember . . .

. . . BEFORE

. . . AFTER

Hope you enjoyed

Cheers

Fen
Old July 13, 2013, 05:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORK LOG: PART 9

GPU and Plate: Refining the illusion

Hello all:

For those of you who have been following this work log, you may recall I decided on a free floating back plate to hide the PCB of my GPU vice a mounted plate. I did this because I want maximum room between the PCB and the plate. This was the end product:

The original intent was to have the GPU mount directly below the back plate but when I trialed it, there was still some contact between the plate the PCB. So I decided to mount the plate two brackets above the GPU. While it still provided top coverage of the PCB, it could still be seen from the side. So I had to add a piece to the plate to provide more coverage of the side. Lexan plastic sheeting was used:

The other think I did discover was that the side of the GPU shroud looked too pristine to match against the back plate. So, I had no choice but the remove the shroud and get to work aging it to match:

Shiny Shroud

Shroud Removal

Base Paint Job

The final step was to age and rust the extension plate and the shroud. Surface corrosion was achieved by using adhesive spray and charcoal dust. This was then painted with various rust colours to achieve the final product.

Giving it some surface corrosion

Rusting Effect

The Final Products

Hope you enjoyed the pics and update

Cheers

Fen
Old July 13, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looken Fine

I have the Same Card mines Shiny :)
Old July 13, 2013, 03:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

really appreciating your weathering/aging paint job.

Moar pleeze
Old July 13, 2013, 06:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Looken Fine

I have the Same Card mines Shiny :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
really appreciating your weathering/aging paint job.

Moar pleeze
Thanks much guys, glad you are enjoying the build.

Cheers

Fen
Old July 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice work man. Keep it coming.
Old July 25, 2013, 06:21 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

DONE !!!!!!!

Well, considering I started this mod some time ago I am both glad and sad that I am done. You pour so much of yourself into one of these mods and while you are doing it . . . it is exciting. However, when you are finished you feel somewhat let down . . . like there should be more.

Anyway, I promised some finished pics when everything was together and working fine. I can't speak for my photographic talents but I think I captured most of the look. I took some advice from my past pics and covered up the shiny Corsair H80i pump cover. So hope you enjoy and I guess there is nothing left to do but plan my next build . . . I do have a bunch of left over parts from my old computer and four ammunition cans . . . hmmm, wonder what I can do with those

EXTERIOR

Thought I would begin with a look behind the rear panel. Can't say it is the best cable management job but it does look neat and it matches the theme . . . old and worn.

Just some external shots (lights off and on)

Looking down on the top

Okay, had to have the creepy glowing red skull shot

Had to have a place to hang my headset - got tired of placing it on top or the floor.

Just so you don't think I forgot about the rear of the case.

INTERIOR

So that is it . . . I hope you enjoyed the pics as much as I enjoyed bringing them to you.

Cheers

Fen