Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2013, 01:50 PM
Rookie

First mod my ass. The details are exceptional. Good luck on the rest of the 24 pin, i'm sure you do fine.
Old July 6, 2013, 07:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitus77 View Post
First mod my ass. The details are exceptional. Good luck on the rest of the 24 pin, i'm sure you do fine.
Thanks much . . . finally finished the 24 pin connector . . . it had to be one of the longest most agonizing experienced of my life

Cheers

Fen
Old July 6, 2013, 07:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORK LOG: PART 7A

24 Points of Insanity - Sanity Recoup

This had to be one of the most agonizing experiences of my life when it came to patience and just pure deliberation . Not only did I have to contend with the snake nest of twisty tie wires/double wires, the shear angst of getting those wires out would try the patience of a saint. I ran into several (10 to be exact) wires which would not release their hold on the connector no matter how many times I repositioned the removal tool, wiggled, pulled up, pulled down. So after a quick consult a few people recommended using flattened staples in lieu of the tool for these difficult ones. So, after tearing apart the house for staples (never one around when you need it), I found some and gave it a go.

After 15 minutes of repositioning . . . pop out came the first one . Now I would like to say that each one followed in turn as quickly but that would be a lie . While I did manage to get them out, it took over 5 hours . . . hey what else are you going to do on a Friday night? Did that sound as sad as I think it did?

So while it did take more time than I thought it would, the end product turned out okay (IMHO). I have seen far better, but I was just glad I didn't manage to break any of the wires. So below is the final product. The two paracord horizontal wraps across the wire were a last minute impulse addition. I thought what the heck . . . after that agony I deserve to add a personal character touch

PSU End Connectors

MOBO End Connector

I decided to dry fit the cable to see what it would look like and the best way to cable management. In the end I decided that the MOBO end will exit from the grommet, wrap around the faux cable conduit (hides the USB 3.0 MOBO cable) and then plug into the MOBO.

The only problem now is that while I like the new look of the 24 pin connector, I absolutely detest the very poor heat shrink job on did on the other cables, not mention I realized the coyote brown of the old wires does not match the coyote brown of the new paracord .

So, I guess there is only one resolution . . . grab my staples, removal tool, paracord throw caution to the wind and most likely my sanity and redo . . . Oh well, what else is there to do on a weekend ( I know . . .very sad )

Cheers

Fen
Old July 6, 2013, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Nice touch wrapping the cord at the connector like that.
Old July 6, 2013, 08:11 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Nice touch wrapping the cord at the connector like that.
Thanks much and thanks for your help.

Cheers

Fen
Old July 6, 2013, 09:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Congratulations on finishing the 24 pin cable!

I know first hand how much persistence it takes sometimes to get a wire free from its infernal plastic housing!

A tip I find very helpful is to make sure the removal tool is pushed in as firmly as possible into the housing before pulling on the wire. Once the tool is pushed firmly into place, I just hold onto the connector and pull on the wire. This way I'm not pushing on the tool as I'm pulling on the wire.

Good luck!
Old July 6, 2013, 09:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjuggles View Post
Congratulations on finishing the 24 pin cable!

I know first hand how much persistence it takes sometimes to get a wire free from its infernal plastic housing!

A tip I find very helpful is to make sure the removal tool is pushed in as firmly as possible into the housing before pulling on the wire. Once the tool is pushed firmly into place, I just hold onto the connector and pull on the wire. This way I'm not pushing on the tool as I'm pulling on the wire.

Good luck!
Thanks much . . . I never thought about that . . . I was always pushing on the tool while pulling on the wire. I guess it would make sense that if you are pushing while trying to pull, it is probable that the tool might slip off the pins I hope that wasn't the easy solution . I will definitely give that a try as I move on to the other cables.

Cheers

Fen
Old July 6, 2013, 09:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Also, if you haven't already done so, wrap a soft cloth on a small vise and gently but firmly hold the connector in place with that. Then you can fire that octopus you just hired.
Old July 6, 2013, 10:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Also, if you haven't already done so, wrap a soft cloth on a small vise and gently but firmly hold the connector in place with that. Then you can fire that octopus you just hired.
But if I do that . . . where will the octopus work? Wait a minute he might make a great barista at Starbucks . . . I think I'll give him his walking papers (do octopus walk?) and have that vice idea as a back-up.

Cheers and thanks again

Fen
Old July 6, 2013, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No problem. Just be careful with that plastic.