Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 28, 2013, 03:36 PM
Allstar

This mod warmed my heart.. loved the details

I designed the 400R for Corsair and did firefly mod them in 2012
Old June 28, 2013, 03:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Oh damn! Keep it up bud!
Old June 28, 2013, 04:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnpctech View Post
This mod warmed my heart.. loved the details

I designed the 400R for Corsair and did firefly mod them in 2012
Thanks much . . . I take that as great praise from someone whose work is phenomenal.

the Firefly mod was the reason I chose the 400R for my project . . . I absolutely loved the lines and it fit with the concept of the radio style build.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Oh damn! Keep it up bud!
Thanks again.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 28, 2013, 06:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

looks cool
Old June 28, 2013, 06:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeaver View Post
looks cool
Thanks much . . . appreciate the feedback
Old June 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Warriors and Wonders

They Have some Real Nice Para/550 Cord.
Old June 29, 2013, 04:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Warriors and Wonders

They Have some Real Nice Para/550 Cord.
Thanks ZZLEE.

I have decided to redo my sleeving (going to try heat shrinkless - the black heatshrink is throwing off my eye from the build) and will be needing some new paracord. They have some good prices and I will be checking them out.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 29, 2013, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Work Log: Part 5a

I hate black wires running across my theme

Okay now before you read this update on the Corsair H80i for those of you who are "sleeving purists" you may want to skip this post as I have thrown caution to the wind. If you continue . . . you were warned . . . so please don't think poorly of me

In part 5 of this work log, I aged the H80i to match the theme. As you are probably aware of by now and my Log title gives it away . . . I had black plastic wires running across my theme. So, I try to sleeve anything that is offending to me (black plastic for starters). Now the H80i comes with an attached SATA connector and attached pump LED attachment in that wonderful black plastic. In addition, the unit fans must connect through the pump via another black plastic attachment:

While I could easily sleeve the small LED connector the tried and true method, the SATA cable was a bit of a problem as it was sealed and I do not have the technical skill to open the pump, disconnect and re-solder. So I had to find a way to sleeve this with paracord. I had the same issue with the fan connector as I had no idea how to get the connector off to sleeve

WARNING - SLEEVING PURISTS MAY BE OFFENDED BY THE FOLLOWING IMAGES

So if I could not remove the end connectors on these cables, then I would have to cut the paracord and fit it around the cable . . . Did he say "CUT" Yup . . . cut.

I get this is not the best/cleanest method to do this but these cables are only going a short distance and will only be seen from a specific side/angle . . . so lets get started. I am illustrating with the fan connector although I did the same thing for the SATA cable:

Starting cable:

The fileting of a paracord shell:

Ironed flat and sides melted:

Tacked in place with adhesive:

Fold/tuck/melt - I know very Frankensteinish

However the exposed side looks pristine (IMHO)

Final product of all cables

Most of these cables will be fit within the case an barely visible, however that which is seen will at least be (or appeared to be) sleeved . . . Did I mention I hate black plastic wires running across my theme

Cheers

Fen
Old July 1, 2013, 03:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORK LOG - PART 6

First off Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadians

What to do about the GPU?

Hello, I thought I would share this latest installment of my theme build. A few days back I went out with a request for some advice in a separate threat (Need mod help from those who know). I was looking for ideas on how to make my GPU and MOBO fit with my theme. This generated a lot of good suggestions and the end result was:

(1) I decided to leave my MOBO alone and see how it looks once installed as the military colours of the Sabertooth X79 should be subdued enough to meld into the background.

(2) The GPU would be a bone of contention because the PCB side would be facing up with all it's electronic goodness screaming "Ignore the theme and look at my newness ." One idea was to add a back plate to the GPU and paint it to match the theme. The only problem was . . . I did not know what a back plate was or how to go about making one. I did some online research and while the concept seemed simple enough, I did not have the skill sets (or screws) to build one and then mount it to the GPU . . . I suppose I could have gone out and had one made but when a problem presents itself . . . why not make it a challenge.

Okay . . . the mounted back plate was off the table. So I stared at the computer case for about 30 minutes and then thought . . . If I can't mount one directly to the GPU why not create a back plate which could be mounted to the expansion slot above where the GPU would mount . . . in essence a free floating back plate sitting about 1/8th of an inch above the GPU. Sounded reasonable . . . so first thing I would need is a GPU mock-up model. That I created out of wood and mounted it to the expansion slot it would be sitting in (the model does not extend the full width - I only need the top half anyway).

Wooden GPU model - measurements for back plate

Wooden model mounted in expansion slot - cardboard back plate template

Okay, I won't lie . . . this took a lot of trial and error to get the measurements correct as well as some careful handling/measuring of the actual GPU. But in the end, I had a workable temple. I now needed to decide on material.

I had some aluminum sheeting lying around . . . metal and electronics (especially PCB) . . . I know, bad combination . So I decided on adhering plexi-glass to the bottom of the back plate to guard against metal and circuitry accidently connection.

Cutting the metal sheeting

High tech metal bending gadget

Finished prototype ( I did go through several iterations before I got the final one you see later)

To mount the back plate I decided that pop rivets and an existing bracket would work best. This took a bit of trial and error to get it right. In the end the bracket and back plate were solid and could be fit into any expansion bay. The key was to ensure there was space between the GPU and the back plate. After a few iterations and few moments of the "what the " this was achieved

Now the part I like best . . . aging the back plate (of course I had to add some bolts to make it look rugged and military . I started with a base coat of ruddy brown primer, followed by a camo (snakeskin) effect in OD green. Next, I added texture for metal corrosion (this time I used coffee grinds and adhesive spray). A final spay of ruddy brown then various shades of orange to create the rusted look. As a final touch, I could not resist adding a warning sticker

After the aging process, I trialed the back plate on my wooden model to see if it achieved the purpose. I think the bracketed back plate does the trick as the GPU PCB will be covered, the back plate does not contact the PCB and now it melds into the theme

Of course this is my "noob" take on it as I have never done anything like this . . . just a concept. Should anyone out there see a major (or even minor) flaw in this idea, please let me know. Feedback is always welcome when you are new.

Cheers and thanks to those who responded to my help request threat.

Fen