Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A very refreshing take on the military theme. That front drive bit with buttons and dials is just begging to be made functional for something. Love the attention to detail.
Old June 27, 2013, 05:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice work man. I am mod envy now.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent work so far. You have the ability to see what you want and how to go about making it appear that way.
Old June 27, 2013, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Awesome project! Almost ready to hang a set of dog tags on one of the switches. I'll bet you can get some at an Army and Navy.
Old June 28, 2013, 04:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
Nice work man. I am mod envy now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Excellent work so far. You have the ability to see what you want and how to go about making it appear that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Awesome project! Almost ready to hang a set of dog tags on one of the switches. I'll bet you can get some at an Army and Navy.
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed it. I am currently working on the interior hardware pieces. Although for obvious (don't want to ruin electronics) reasons the aging effects won't be as extreme, there will be some nonetheless. Working on giving a rust effect to my H80i rad and fans right now.

As well, I think I have decided to bite the bullet and sleeve the 24 pin connector (ordered some more para cord this week). Will update with more pics as I go along.

Cheers and thanks again

Fen
Old June 28, 2013, 04:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Love the amount of detail your putting into it. Takes longer but it's worth it imo. Sleeving as well. I was thinking one of Asus' Sabertooth boards would afford you more opportunity to age the inside.
Old June 28, 2013, 04:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Love the amount of detail your putting into it. Takes longer but it's worth it imo. Sleeving as well. I was thinking one of Asus' Sabertooth boards would afford you more opportunity to age the inside.
Hello,

I love doing the detail although I think sometimes I get a bit obsessive about it. After looking at my sleeving to date, I think I am going to try a heat shrinkless version to see what it looks like in comparison to heat shrink.

I am going to be using the Sabertooth X79 MBO so I plan to do a bit of aging on some of the areas, but I get a bit nervous around the electronic components.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 28, 2013, 08:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Work Log: Part 5

Corsair H80i Cooling - The art of rusting

Hello all:

I am beginning to work on some of the internal hardware mods in an effort to make them match the theme (old an worn). I have been experimenting with rust effects and after a bit of trial and error, I have come up with a method which I think provided good results . . . Let me know what you think.

I started with the Corsair H80i Cooler.

As this was going to be mounted toward the front back of the build I wanted to show some real rust damage (think eaten away). My normal mode has always been to paint and age via rust colour model paint and brushed aluminum. This would require a different approach. I started with a base coat of "ruddy brown" primer (light coats so as not to clog up the fins)

The next step was a very light coat of colour (olive drab). I did not want to overpower the base coat so it was spray sparingly to give it the appearance of having been worn away over time and use.

In order to create the illusion of metal which had been corroded by rust I used liquid adhesive which I sprayed in various locations on the pieces ( I did not spray the adhesive into the fins . . . ). Once the adhesive began to set, I took ground fire place ash and rubbed it into the adhesive to create a rough surface. Once the adhesive set, I brushed off the loose charcoal and then lightly sprayed the pieces with the base coat primer and olive drab to seal the rough surface.

To provide a final rust appearance, I used acrylic paint mixed to various orange textures which I applied on the pieces. Initial painting was smudged in using my finger and a latex glove. I continued this process to create varying shades of orange to provide depth. The final light orange coats were applied lightly on the rough surfaces without smudging.

All I have left to do is to sleeve the fan cables and it is ready for mounting into the unit.

Hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 28, 2013, 09:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Neat, that worn rusted effect looks pretty nifty.

The case is looking pretty bad a$$ for your first attempt at modding!

Keep it up.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjuggles View Post
Neat, that worn rusted effect looks pretty nifty.

The case is looking pretty bad a$$ for your first attempt at modding!

Keep it up.
Thanks much!!

Cheers

Fen