Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 23, 2013, 07:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Good looking mod.
Old June 23, 2013, 07:37 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Good looking mod.
Thanks much for the comment . . . never quite sure how these aged and worn mods go over with the community. They don't seem very popular.

BTW is your avatar your dog?

Cheers

Fen
Old June 23, 2013, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow this is really good. Probably the best camo/military themed case I have seen. Good work.

Last edited by dandelioneater; June 23, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old June 23, 2013, 08:47 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Wow this is really good. Probably the best xamo/military themed case mm of I have seen. Good work.
Thanks much for the feedback.

I am just in the cable management phase and will be uploading some more pics today . . . if I ever get this sleeving done.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 23, 2013, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fenny View Post
Thanks much for the comment . . . never quite sure how these aged and worn mods go over with the community. They don't seem very popular.

BTW is your avatar your dog?

Cheers

Fen
It looks pretty good for someone with no experience.

Yes, it's my dog in my avatar.
Old June 23, 2013, 12:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice dog . . . that's mine as my avatar.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 23, 2013, 12:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You should sell that computer to bethseda, it looks like it's straight outta fallout!!!!
Old June 23, 2013, 12:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Great looking case mod, especially for an amateur. I look forward to further updates.
Old June 23, 2013, 12:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
You should sell that computer to bethseda, it looks like it's straight outta fallout!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge22 View Post
Great looking case mod, especially for an amateur. I look forward to further updates.
Thanks all for your feedback.

Finally, got my sleeving done (at the cost of my sanity and about an extra 10 feet of ruined paracord, botched heat shrink and three wires). Will be posting an updated dealing with cabling and cable management.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 23, 2013, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORK LOG - PART 4

Sleeving and Cable Management: The surest way to insanity for a noob

Right, so one day I hit on the brain storm idea of trying my hand at sleeving. I went online watched the YouTube vids, Googled myself silly and found out as much as I could . . . I mean how hard could this be . . . right? I soon found out that not all wardrobes lead to Narnia and some come out just this side of . .

I had bought the tools and decided on various subdued military colours (para cord) and it all seemed so simple. That was until I pulled apart my first connector and discovered the wonderful world of Corsair PSU proprietary rights and double wires .

Luckily I didn't run in all ham fisted and take every wire out, and decided on only one wire at a time. So, when I was finally able to breath again, I started the long process of finding out what to do . . . it was my PCI-E cable. In the end it turned out. Although, I have to admit it took every ounce of control not to throw it across the room and run out screaming.

I next talked the molex and SATA . . . and I thought double wires were bad. In the end they all turned out relatively well and colours match the build nicely. The head shrink could be better but even my functional obsessive compulsive idiosyncrasies were no match for the that is heat shrink . . . So I admitted my weaknesses and moved on.

I will admit that I chickened out on the 24 pin connect as I noted multiple double wires crisscrossing back and forth. In the end, I decided to give the Corsair cheap OEM sleeving a quick blast of spray paint (very light) in various camo colours . . . not the best way but I needed to recoup some of my sanity at that point.

I turned my attention on the front panel connectors which were sleeved in paracord. However, I found there was nothing I could do with the USB 3 cable as it was a sealed casing. So I paid a visit to my favorite modding store - Home Depot - and walked around until I found something to hide this ugly cable which would have to go straight through the case to the USB 3 slot on the mobo. I found plastic cable sheathing which resembled the metal electrical conduit I used earlier. Not an exact match but close . . . so with a little work and of course paint, I was able to make it fit in and in the end give this ugly cable a new look and exercise some cable management.

I tested out the other sleeving projects in my case to measure for fit so the photos below are just temp cable management. My intent was to keep only the sleeved wires visible.

That 24 pin connector still pains me to look at though

So with the above experiment in all things insane . . . I now ready to move on to the wonderful world of hardware and what not. Unfortunately, work will take me away for a week, so I will have to wait until next weekend.

Hope you enjoyed

Cheers

Fen