Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 22, 2013, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

No problem . . . that's what I figured as I have done the same thing before.

Still trying to get this picture thing sorted. I will include a test in this reply if you don't mind to see if I got it yet.

[/IMG]
Old June 22, 2013, 01:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

No problem . . . I think I have this picture thing figured out. Tried to send a few test posts but I guess they have to go through the moderator first. Once this gets sorted out I will repost with proper pics . . . I guess I am URL challenged
Old June 22, 2013, 03:05 PM

My System Specs

Nope you are still doing something wrong. On your photobucket page click in the area I have highlighted. Then go to HWC and paste that link in the post field. That is all you do.
Old June 22, 2013, 03:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fenny View Post
Okay . . . going to try this again.

Whoa that is quite the mod there. I hope you have lots more pics to show off for us especially of progression from stock to current state.

Cheers!
Old June 22, 2013, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORK LOG - PART 2

PSU, Fans and the art of hiding plain sight

I decided on a Corsair 850AX for the PSU. I wanted it to fit into the theme so I painted/aged it. I added a few Mylar decals to cover the Corsair labels (checked with Corsair, so long as I don't destroy the labels when I remove the Mylar, my warranty is still good

I am using 4 BitFenix Red LED fans. The two which will go on the side panel have been painted/aged to match the theme. In addition, I sleeved the cables coming from the fan. Tested out the fans as this was my first sleeving and I wanted to make sure I wired it correctly. Hooked it up to my fan controller and everything works

For the Fan Controller I wanted something simple to stick with the theme of the build (just sliders - no flashy display), so I went with the BitFenix Hydra Pro Fan Controller. Naturally, after a quick paint job it fit right in to the build:

Hooked up the fans and fan controller to the PSU for a test and everything worked fine :

Once I had all my cables run, I was soon left with the dilemma of what to do with all the cables. I could have run them through the back and weaved them through to the fan controller but I didn't want weaved wires/cables crisscrossing inside the case. So I thought about potential solutions and settled on using electrical conduit sheathing to hide the wires and route them direct to the fan controller. This way they would be "hidden in plain sight" but still fit in nicely with the build theme.

Okay . . . not a major mod but one of the little details I used to correct something that bugged me. After I ran the fan cables through the electrical conduit, no matter how much strapping I used, I could still see the fan wires through the slots on the side of the front expansion bay cage. So I decided to cover the slots. I used aluminum sheeting to make the covers, painted them and added warning decals for effect - la voila . . . I could not see the wires any more and my functional obsessive needs were met again.

So, I went through the hassle of finding a way to hide my incoming fan cables to the controller and then hiding the side openings of the expansion bay cage so the wiring could not be seen. The next thing I turned my attention to was the HD/SSD cage. I realized that once mounted my HD with it's shinny silver cover would be raining all over my matt/aged finished goodness as the cage is open to view with the side panel off . . . not mention you would see the cables running through the back to the HD and SSD

I considered painting the HD to match the theme but that presented a host of potential risks (I have venting holes on my HD) and as this was a brand new 1TB HD, I really did not want to risk it. Besides, the cables would still be seen. So I hit on the idea of a adding an access door to the opening. This way I could work it into the theme as a service panel for the communication array. To achieve this I used aluminum sheeting I had lying about and a set of hinges I bought. The door was painted and aged to match the theme. Warning and panel labels were added for effect . . . Oh yeah, the bolt heads are just window dressing to give it more of an access panel look.

Hope you enjoyed.

Cheers

Fen

Last edited by Bad Fenny; June 23, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old June 22, 2013, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Lookken Fine !

Pics showing up good too.
Old June 22, 2013, 07:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Lookken Fine !

Pics showing up good too.
Thanks much . . . I was off to a bit of rough start but I think I got the hang of the pictures.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 23, 2013, 04:41 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

WORK LOG - PART 3

Optical Drive - Its all about making it match

Okay, so I have the standard black and grey optical drive, and while painting/aging the front is a given so it matches the theme, I quickly realized that while it might be nestled quite high in the expansion bay cage, the bottom and back grey would be visible at certain angles. So once again my functional obsessive compulsive need for detail kicked in and I decided to paint the whole optical drive to match the theme.

That brings the build up to current date. I am now working on sleeving . . . it sure looks easy on YouTube . . . as well as cable management for the front panel cables. Will update with more pics as I get this done.

Cheers

Fen
Old June 23, 2013, 05:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I love the look of this!
Well done!
Old June 23, 2013, 05:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeeHobbit View Post
I love the look of this!
Well done!
Thanks much . . . glad you enjoyed. Although I do like the clean and shiny builds, I just find aged and worn much more fun to do.

Cheers

Fen