Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2013, 11:54 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doup93 View Post
I'm an IT consultant and the servers are both for storing my work files as well as a testing/staging/learning environment. I'm in the process of studying for Windows Server 2012 certifications and going for private cloud certifications after that.
I see. I hope this works out for you. Keep them photos coming
Old July 22, 2013, 06:02 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I got around to putting the screening on the exhaust vents as well as hooking up the portable AC.

Not the most elegant installation but it'll do the job of keeping the bugs out.

I turned on the AC using a power extension from another outlet and it ran for about 30 minutes without issue with cold air coming out of it. On the other side, the exhaust tube is very hot so I'll have to make sure nothing's blocking or slowing the exhaust.

Also, did some small adjustments to network cabling. At this point, I'll be changing all the twist ties for some black zip ties.

All these cables fill up my switch pretty good. I've got 5 IPMI cables going to that switch as well as 12 data cables. Now, I have a spare Linksys WRT310N laying around and was wondering whether I should add it to the setup so that I have redundant networking going in/out of that room. It's a Gig switch so it should theoretically do the job pretty well. What do you guys think?

Last, all the electrical wires are now in the ceiling from the electrical box to the utility room. Now have to drill some holes and pass these wires up to the wall of the cold room and pass the network cables to outside that room as well. This should be done this week.
Old September 27, 2013, 09:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up Major Update

Hi guys!

Itís been a while since my last post but when summerís here, I spend more time outside than inside. Still, progress came along (although at a slow pace) and up to a point that, yesterday, I officially turned everything on and has been running along fine since. Hereís what happened since:

For my file server, I had a front 5.25 plate missing and wanted some more expansion storage-wise so I bought these to fit in.

The Rosewill enclosure comes with SATA cables and power cables. Looking at the manual, it clearly states that you need to use the enclosed power cable since they have these extra adapters that you need to plug in the enclosure.

It doesnít have any drive trays so you simply slide in your 2.5 HDD or SSD and close the door. I put in an OCZ 60GB Vertex drive in there and it is connected to the H8SGLís onboard SATA controller.

The IcyDocks are all-metal units and have a rear-mounted fan so they do a very good job of keeping your drives cool. These have metal drive trays in which you screw the drive and slide it in. Each drive has a LED that shows if a drive is in and if thereís any drive activity. LED colors are a bit weird as they are red for drive presence and green for activity. Kinda clashes with the blue and green of the Chenbro case. Makes the server look like a Christmas tree.

At the back of the IcyDock you find the power and SATA ports as well as 2 fans to keep the drives cool. In the Chenbro case, I donít hear the fans at all (easy to be quieter than server fans). Nice thing about these is that they support SAS drives.

Also added 4 Constellation CS 2TB drives to the 4 Seagate drives. Eventually, these will be replaced by another set of Constellation drives.

Finally, I bought 2 PERC H310 from Cptn Vortex and some SFF8087 to SATA from Newegg (Newegg.ca - Rosewill RASA-13004 1M Multi-lane Internal (SFF-8087) Serial ATA Breakout Cable) to connect all the 3.5 hotswap bays and the IcyDock enclosures. Right now, I have a single 120 GB Intel 520 SSD in the IcyDocks.

I setup my File Server on Windows Server 2012 R2 and using the Intel SSD in a tiered Storage Space with the 4 Seagate 2 TB drives for running my VMís and the Constellations are used for file storage (mirrored storage space).

Electricity so here are some pics of the final setup. I passed 3 12-gauge wires through all the ceilings and drilled 2 holes of 1.25 inch each through 10 inches of foundation into the room. Concrete ďexplodedĒ on the other side so itís not a nice finish but cables are through and with room for more.

While doing some trials, I noticed that a lot of sound was coming through the wooden door so I went in my garage to find some leftover Sonopan boards I had and fixed those on the door using screws. Actually does a great job of cutting off the sound as now you only hear noise when standing where I took this pic. The Sonopan board added about 0.75 inch of thickness to the door.

Network cabling is all done. Not all to my liking but well enough for now.

For cooling, I wasnít happy with the original setup using a flexible dryer tube so bought some ventilation stuff and set everything up using lots of aluminum tape to close off air leaks.

I also changed the screening for a cleaner looking cap.

Hereís the final setup.

Under full load (all servers folding), they consume close to 1400 Watts. Room temperature is about 25C.

BONUS: I uploaded a little video tour that I did using my GoPro. Enjoy!

Home Server Room - YouTube
Old September 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice job. Well done sir especially with the amount of room you had to play with.
Old September 27, 2013, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks. I appreciate it a lot. I was actually doing a little file transfer test copying a bunch of files from the file server to the 4 C6100 nodes. A screenshot is worth a thousand words. Look at the 3 NIC's on the right.

Old September 27, 2013, 06:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That's some kickass lab equipment. I've been able to get by on labs with multiple virtual machines on vmware. Gives me something to actually tax my rig with.
Old September 28, 2013, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I did in the past but there's some things that are not possible when your whole lab is virtualized. The 4 nodes of the C6100 are running Server 2012 R2 and will be set up as a cluster and the VM's will be stored on the file server. From there, I'll be able to do pretty much what I want.
Old December 2, 2013, 01:24 PM
Trial Member

I'm curious. How much did this setup cost?
Old December 2, 2013, 02:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

OMG! That speed, that speed man! Awesome stuff sir!
Old December 2, 2013, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

nicely done
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.