Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2013, 05:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile H2O-Fractal DD XL R2

So recently I decided to just go ahead and do a custom WC loop for my PC. I had it running on stock cooler for a while. Then I grabbed the GTX 780 on the second day after it launched. I order my parts from Dazmode and it got here in a day.

I grabbed the complete kit by EKWB, the one with a 240mm radiator. I will now let the pics do the talking. I am currently using purified water (same quality as DW) with no dye but I intend to buy the daz liquid solution next week.

This is work in progress as I will be slapping a GPU block on my card and possibly add another in a short time.

I added another photo showing the system powered up and running.
Attached Images

Last edited by hero1; August 16, 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Renaming
Old May 29, 2013, 05:30 PM

My System Specs

No intake fans?
Old May 29, 2013, 05:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
No intake fans?
I have 2 Noctua NF-A14 up top for intake and the Phanteks 140 for intake. I took that picture before I turned it around.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I will be switching to either red or black tubing once I get the NZXT H630 or mod the bottom of my case and relocated the EKWB 240mm XTX rad there. I did couple tests and my GPU got all the way to 80 degrees Celsius which I don't like and I think this is due to the intakes being located at the top. So I am looking around to see who has the stock, store wise, for the NZXT H630 which I will purchase asap. Once that is done, I will redo the system order a block from Dazmode for the card. Suggestions are very much appreciated.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think the air flow is a bit messed up. You have fans blowing out the front on the bottom Rad and a fan fan blowing out at the back.

Hot Air Rises, so you are basically making all of the hot air group around the center of the board. Also, the left top intake is just being sucked right out the back.

1. Make the front intake in push pull by flipping the fans around. Push/Pull wouldnt hurt either. the make the top fans exhaust.

OR

2. Move the rad to the top. Arrange the fans to push out. Change the front fanst to intake.

Me personally, I try to have more air going in than out to cut down on dust.
Old May 30, 2013, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This build shows the same motherboard and case that we have. She did an excellent job and shows optimal fan layout.

At 4:25 you can

Fractal Design Define XL R2 Installation - Time Lapse - Behind the scenes - YouTube
Old May 30, 2013, 02:06 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
I think the air flow is a bit messed up. You have fans blowing out the front on the bottom Rad and a fan fan blowing out at the back.

Hot Air Rises, so you are basically making all of the hot air group around the center of the board. Also, the left top intake is just being sucked right out the back.

1. Make the front intake in push pull by flipping the fans around. Push/Pull wouldnt hurt either. the make the top fans exhaust.

OR

2. Move the rad to the top. Arrange the fans to push out. Change the front fanst to intake.

Me personally, I try to have more air going in than out to cut down on dust.
I know what you are saying bud but my rad is too think to fit at the top. I can have the fans reversed so they bring air in but then I am dealing with tons of hot air and no cool air for the GPU. I currently have the top and the back fans as the intake and exhausting through the front.

EDIT: After I took back the card and ordered the GTX 780 Hydro Copper, I decided to take your advice and change the configuration. I now have the 2xNoctua 14mm fans up front for intake and the other 2x120 noctuas for pull (so push with 140 pull with 120 since I don't have screw that can fit through the rad holes to mount my Scyther GT 1850RPM). I blocked the top vents and reversed the 140mm Phanteks fan into exhaust fan. I am exploring ways to mount the pump and res somewhere else so I can add a 140mm at the bottom for intake or just block it off. I ran Aida64Extreme and my CPU averaged about 51 Celsius with minimum of 30 and max of 60 degrees Celsius even though some of the cores did hit 75 degrees for a second or 2. Maybe I should just de-lid the CPU and use MX-4 instead of the cheap Intel thermal compound for better temps!

Last edited by hero1; May 30, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old May 30, 2013, 02:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I took back the card since newegg.ca has it for 659.99 instead of 679.99 we are being charged but CC and NCIX. Now they have the hydrocopper version at newegg too. Should I pull the trigger on that or should I continue with the purchase of the normal one and put an EKWB block on it?
Old May 30, 2013, 03:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

whats the difference in price between the hydro copper and the normal version + block. If its less for the HC go for the hydro copper with guaranteed speeds.
Old May 30, 2013, 03:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
whats the difference in price between the hydro copper and the normal version + block. If its less for the HC go for the hydro copper with guaranteed speeds.
Here's the hydro copper one: Newegg.ca - EVGA 03G-P4-2789-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Hydro Copper Video Card

The normal one costs $759.99 (tax and shipping added) and a block with fittings should come to $930. Damn! So I guess the hydro copper version is what I should go for since it's going to be same price but higher clocks and I can OC it more. Your suggestion is?