Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2013, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think the case is awesome. I understand the need to change though. The NZXT H630 is a smaller case, but has a smaller drive bay so a larger res can fit below. I personally think it will be pretty good cost at a small gain.

Since our gear is almost identical, I will learn from this build for when I'm ready.
Old June 8, 2013, 01:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
I think the case is awesome. I understand the need to change though. The NZXT H630 is a smaller case, but has a smaller drive bay so a larger res can fit below. I personally think it will be pretty good cost at a small gain.

Since our gear is almost identical, I will learn from this build for when I'm ready.
I like the case for now but will have to get something different when I get a second GPU and bigger rad for 3x120/140mm fans. The NZXT is almost same size as this but they minimized the 5.25 drive bays to 2 which is an awesome thing considering I will only mount DVD drive and fan controller. I will be ordering more fittings once I get back from visiting our family. So looking to have the fittings delivered by either Monday or Tuesday and I should be able to get to work right away.

Once thing I don't like about this board is that the fittings for chipset can't be removed. I would love to add 90 degree angled fitting to make it look better. So I hope they come out with it for the IB-E and I will sell this one. The new Maximus VI Formula comes without the fittings so you can add your own but I don't want to go Haswell, I want IB-E or Haswell-E.

Please keep more suggestions coming and another GPU is coming in mid-late July. Wife agreed woohoo!
Old June 11, 2013, 12:54 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hello guys. So I went ahead and ordered a few more fittings. Man is watercooling such an expensive thing. I probably have spent around $600 already on the stuff that I currently have for the loop. So I got myself 5-45 degrees angled adapters, 2-25mm extenders and 2 bottles of DaMode protector. I took the whole thing apart and forgot to take pictures of it dismantled. I did take pictures of finished product though. I will still change the case once either the Phanteks Enthoo Primo or NZXT H630 come out but I am now leaning towards the Phanteks Enthoo Primo due to the ability of having either a 480mm or 420mm radiator up top and my current EKWB XTX will be shipped to the bottom and have the front for just air intake.
Old June 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile Changed loop route

So here are the shots for the finished build. No leaks and all is well. I had to slightly change what some of you had suggested due to the fact that running the tube from the CPU to the chipset kept causing a kink. So I decided to have the order as presented in the pictures. Res-->Pump-->Front Radiator-->Top Radiator-->Chipset-->CPU-->GPU-->Res. I will do stress test and see how things are holding up and I hope that the temps are the same as last time.

I also had to drill 2 holes to mount the res since I didn't like it where it was and it looks much better now. I still think a bay res is better in this situation so don't be shocked to see me post an update with a dual bay res.
Attached Images

Last edited by hero1; June 11, 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: removed an image
Old June 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Much better, but I would change that Tee off the video card so the flow goes from end to end with the drain in the middle, rather than make a 90 degree turn in the fitting. It will be better for your flow.

Or take the drain line right out, you've got enough slack that you can pop the res out of the clip and tip it outside the case to drain.

You might also consider rotating your CPU block so the lines don't cross, but that's an aesthetic thing rather than a functional one.

EDIT: This is meant to be constructive criticism. You've done a great job so far.
Old June 11, 2013, 02:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Much better, but I would change that Tee off the video card so the flow goes from end to end with the drain in the middle, rather than make a 90 degree turn in the fitting. It will be better for your flow.

Or take the drain line right out, you've got enough slack that you can pop the res out of the clip and tip it outside the case to drain.

You might also consider rotating your CPU block so the lines don't cross, but that's an aesthetic thing rather than a functional one.

EDIT: This is meant to be constructive criticism. You've done a great job so far.
I did think about the T-adapter there. It took me at least 30 mins - 1 hr to figure out where I wanted it. I will take it off when I get a second GPU and have the draining attached directly to the bottom of the res. I guess I can just go ahead and have it plugged it off afterwards.

The CPU block might have to stay the way it is due to kinking issues. I tried rotating it and it still had kinks occuring so this turned out to be the best option. I am considering buying the EKWB block from Dazmode and taking this one off. However, I am concerned about wasting money since I want to get rid of this motherboard and CPU come September when I step it up to IB-E. What do you think?

EDIT: I like people to advice and criticise constructively. So far you have been of a great help and keep them coming. I went ahead and took off the drain line but I left the adapter there since I didn't want to drain the whole thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by hero1; June 11, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old June 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

So the tress test went well. The CPU heat was maxed at 50 degrees Celsius and averaged 47.7 degrees Celsius. The GPU saw an increase of 6 degrees compared to the other setup that I had, now it sits at 37 Max and 34 average. The motherboard sits at 32 average and 34 max. So the changing of the loop did raise temps for the GPU and lowered the temps for the CPU.

EDIT: To Crazyea: I hope this helps you with your water cooling. I might, might not be replacing the chipset with an EKWB kit to clean up the build even further.

Last edited by hero1; June 11, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old June 11, 2013, 07:33 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nice re-work on the tubing route!

One thing I noticed in the picture below is that you're coming out of the chipset and you enter in the outlet of the CPU block instead of the inlet. You should switch your inlet/outlet if possible.

Other than that you did a nice job and you're right about the fact that watercooling is not cheap but it's kind of an addiction ;) I won't tell you how much I spend on WC stuff

Folding Build 1 : White Asylum (Case Labs SM8)
Folding Build 2 : Ergo Proxy (Case Labs SMH10)
Folding Build 3 : Hurrikaine (Case Labs S8)
Gaming Build : Alexstrasza’s Shrine (Case Labs S5)
Work In Progress : Xenomorph (Parvum S2.0)
Old June 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira749 View Post
Nice re-work on the tubing route!

One thing I noticed in the picture below is that you're coming out of the chipset and you enter in the outlet of the CPU block instead of the inlet. You should switch your inlet/outlet if possible.

Other than that you did a nice job and you're right about the fact that watercooling is not cheap but it's kind of an addiction ;) I won't tell you how much I spend on WC stuff
Thanks man.

I don't like that part either and I kept getting kinks on the tubes whenever I tried to have the water come to the CPU block's inlet then outlet then chipset and finally GPU. I will try working on it tomorrow and see what I get at the end.

Water cooling is an addiction as I am currently considering getting the EKWB chipset block and getting rid of the one that came with the board. I wish I could take those barbed fittings and add angled fittings. If I add the extra 200 spent on the GPU as it came pre-fitted, the cost goes up even more.
Old June 11, 2013, 08:31 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

To heck with it. I am going to try this right now. It's getting to me