Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2013, 03:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I pulled the trigger on the Hydro Copper version. Should be easy to add to my loop. I will add another one of the cards in a month or so if I don't get desired frames from it. Woohoo! Now, NZXT please bring that case out and take my money!
Old May 30, 2013, 09:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, the hydro copper is listed at $800. That seems like a much better deal to me!

EDIT: Never looked at the last page! Awesome purchase!
Old May 31, 2013, 08:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
Well, the hydro copper is listed at $800. That seems like a much better deal to me!

EDIT: Never looked at the last page! Awesome purchase!
Thanks man. I just can't wait and I think I'll go ahead and order a red tube, more long screws, Daz protect from Dazmode. They should arrive on Monday just like the card.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I know what you are saying bud but my rad is too think to fit at the top. I can have the fans reversed so they bring air in but then I am dealing with tons of hot air and no cool air for the GPU. I currently have the top and the back fans as the intake and exhausting through the front.

EDIT: After I took back the card and ordered the GTX 780 Hydro Copper, I decided to take your advice and change the configuration. I now have the 2xNoctua 14mm fans up front for intake and the other 2x120 noctuas for pull (so push with 140 pull with 120 since I don't have screw that can fit through the rad holes to mount my Scyther GT 1850RPM). I blocked the top vents and reversed the 140mm Phanteks fan into exhaust fan. I am exploring ways to mount the pump and res somewhere else so I can add a 140mm at the bottom for intake or just block it off. I ran Aida64Extreme and my CPU averaged about 51 Celsius with minimum of 30 and max of 60 degrees Celsius even though some of the cores did hit 75 degrees for a second or 2. Maybe I should just de-lid the CPU and use MX-4 instead of the cheap Intel thermal compound for better temps!
What is your 3570k clocked at? Also what did you do, just throw your cpu block on top of the cpu after taking the stock heatsink off without redoing the paste?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
What is your 3570k clocked at? Also what did you do, just throw your cpu block on top of the cpu after taking the stock heatsink off without redoing the paste?
You really are crazy. I redid the paste and it is clocked at 4.4 GHz atm. I want it to be running at this speed or 4.6 GHz all the time. When I did stress test it was good at 51 degrees and stayed there. That was average for the CPU as a whole and the maximu it ever hit was 63 degrees Celsius. I think it is good enough but I know I can get better cooling than this. So de-lid it or what? I use MX-4 paste.

I also have a question regarding the tubing. The one I got has Inner diameter of 3/8" and outer diameter of 1/2". I want to upgrade to 1/2" ID and 3/4"OD. Will this be ok with the fittings or will it be loose?

Last edited by hero1; May 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The reason I asked is not to insult, but you mentioned intel thermal paste.

Anyway, the temps on the cpu seem very good then. They will raise a bit with the gpu in the loop. Maybe add a slim rad to the top? Also, it would hurt using the mx-3/4 as its pretty cheap.

EDIT: That should have read "wouldn't hurt".

Last edited by crazyea; May 31, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
The reason I asked is not to insult, but you mentioned intel thermal paste.

Anyway, the temps on the cpu seem very good then. They will raise a bit with the gpu in the loop. Maybe add a slim rad to the top? Also, it would hurt using the mx-3/4 as its pretty cheap.
No no. I didn't mean to sound rude. I was being funny man. I don't go the mean/rude route and if that's what you got from me then I'm sorry about that. I thought MX-4 is very good stuff since it's non-conductive.

Edit: Do you think 1/2" ID tubing will be better than what I currently have? So I did some research and I will be sticking to the 3/8" ID since there's very minuscule difference between 3/8" ID and 1/2" ID with respect to cooling potential.

I think I will put a 280mm rad (140x2 up top and use my 2xNoctua NF-A14 fans). I just don't know if I should go for a 47mm or 37mm thick rad and at the same time I want the NZXT H630 case but it looks like my case will surfice.

Last edited by hero1; May 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:02 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great lookin' set up hero. I recently went from a HAF 932 to a Caselabs SM8 and couldn't be happier. Yes, they are expensive but its the last case I'll ever need with the add ons from Caselabs. I too deal with Daz...great guy and great service up here in Canukada. I first went with his XSPC kit and have upgraded since then, still the same blocks but pump and res upgrades along with some modding. If you want to change tubing size then you must change fittings as well. I run 3/8ID x 5/8OD and from what I've read and heard the diff in temps is very little...some guys just prefer a "heftier" tubing. The selection of fittings also changes as the bigger size are more popular. There are a few doods on Daz's forum that have de lidded and used MX, gdesmo for one. Good luck with the rest of your build man. Hope you don't mind if I throw up a pic my set up.
Name:  Wire 021.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  618.2 KB
Old May 31, 2013, 12:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEAR View Post
Great lookin' set up hero. I recently went from a HAF 932 to a Caselabs SM8 and couldn't be happier. Yes, they are expensive but its the last case I'll ever need with the add ons from Caselabs. I too deal with Daz...great guy and great service up here in Canukada. I first went with his XSPC kit and have upgraded since then, still the same blocks but pump and res upgrades along with some modding. If you want to change tubing size then you must change fittings as well. I run 3/8ID x 5/8OD and from what I've read and heard the diff in temps is very little...some guys just prefer a "heftier" tubing. The selection of fittings also changes as the bigger size are more popular. There are a few doods on Daz's forum that have de lidded and used MX, gdesmo for one. Good luck with the rest of your build man. Hope you don't mind if I throw up a pic my set up.
[/IMG]
Thanks Gear. I have been contemplating the SM8 for a while but I will also need to get rid of my current case to offset the costs seeing that I have just shelled out $1350 in the last 4 days (EKWB H30 Kit 240 and eVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper 980/1033 on the way). I will keep the tubing since there's no difference in cooling at all and maybe add another pump for redundancy. I would have bought bigger fittings too but Daz also told me the same thing, that is the cooling difference is negligible. I will post more pictures when I get the card.

The reason I want the NZXT H630 is so that I can use the current rad at the bottom and 360 rad at the top and have the front as intake. I wouldn't mind have the front mounted rad on the NZXT H630 but their design to accommodate the 200mm fans means the space left around the rad once mounted will cause the hot air to come right back into the case. So I will either have to block it our somehow or just use the front as intake.

I like your system. Nice colours and what a monster you got up there.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:40 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks hero, that card you got comin' should be freakin' awesome. For me its damn near time to upgrade the MoBo to a Z77 chipset, doesn't that figure though...get it to where ya want it and hardware starts to time out...lol. I wouldn't mind goin' to a bigger tubing which itself is no biggy, but the cost of fittings is holding me back. I've hear of guys using a 3/8s tube on a 1/2 barb and not even using a clamp although you gotta heat the tube with major hot water before it'll go on but it ain't comin off...lol. To tell the truth the only forum I've really used is Daz's, the guys there, snef, bungwirez, gdesmo(who has the sweetest PSU main power cables you have ever seen) and for sure even Daz himself along with the other dudes are awesomely helpful not only in water cooling but modding in general as well. Not that this forum and others don't have anything to offer its just so much easier using the knowledge of guys in one place, plus its just a great bunch of guys over there. For me its not just the water cooling but the friendships made within the community. Daz should open a West Coast branch for all us here on the "Wet Coast"!!