Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2013, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like a great concept. Look forward to seeing it move along from concept to build

I know you said soild wood (possibly using your current desk), is this solid as in sold oak/pine or a veneer product. The only reason I ask is that veneer would be better as solid wood would be prone to warping due to heat (just thinking about the heat between teh acrylic top and the wood mounting base. However, a plywood veneer product will take the heat better and be less prone to warping.

Cheers

Fen
Old July 3, 2013, 11:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
I'm very excited! One of my good friends has always ranted about making one of these. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I always wondered about mounting the motherboard. Is it possible to tap motherboard mounting screw holes in wood and just have the board mounted on a wood panel?
Thanks for being excited. I have been wanting to do so in a long time. I will, hopefully, start the work next week by cutting up the needed peices. I have made some changes to the size and orientation of the rads and motherboard.

I have never done this before so I am not sure how mounting the motherboard would turn out. I do know that it can be done especially with high quality wood which is what I am in the market for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fenny View Post
Looks like a great concept. Look forward to seeing it move along from concept to build

I know you said soild wood (possibly using your current desk), is this solid as in sold oak/pine or a veneer product. The only reason I ask is that veneer would be better as solid wood would be prone to warping due to heat (just thinking about the heat between teh acrylic top and the wood mounting base. However, a plywood veneer product will take the heat better and be less prone to warping.

Cheers

Fen
Thanks man. I am a bit nervous, almost chickened out but I will soldier on, the only we Canadians know how. I am still working on the blueprint and hoping to have everything sorted out by tomorrow.

I want to use nothing else but solid wood and some steel sheet here and there. I will have the motherboard tray sitting on a 1-2" structure so it is not touching the wood by using my Haf XM parts. I didn't know about the warping but I am thinking that since the rig is watercooled then heat shouldn't be an issue at all. But I will explore the option of using veneered wood even though I don't like that stuff. I really appreciate the help. I will be using pine since my current desk is an awesome pine desk

The other option would be to use an aluminium base. I will ask my father-in-law, great guy, to help me find a big sheet and work on it together. That is if I decide on aluminum bottom/base!
Old July 3, 2013, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

look at this thread

Creating the Ultimate Computer Desk - 2 Built-In Computers

this is what your walking into.
Old July 4, 2013, 03:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
look at this thread

Creating the Ultimate Computer Desk - 2 Built-In Computers

this is what your walking into.
That was a nice link man, I appreciate it. I don't think I'll have as much work as him since he built it from ground up and I am simply going to be modifying mine to suit my dream desk. I am still working on the schematics and I hope to have it done with soon.
Old July 5, 2013, 03:29 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Smile

I think this is it for me. I like what I have and will go with it. Here are the pics and everything is done to the exact measurements.
Attached Images

Old July 5, 2013, 04:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks like a great concept . . . the hardware is laid out in a nice symmetric configuration and will add nicely to the aesthetics. Are you planning on any LED lighting? Are you going with clear acrylic for the top or a coloured acrylic?

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. My desk is a rickety old IKEA thing (taken apart once . . . never together properly again). I was thinking about doing a desk to match my current build theme but I don't think my wife would appreciate a desk that looked like a dug in defensive position on some FOB in our downstairs guest room . . . oh well guess rickety and IKEA will have to do.

Cheers and keep the pics coming as you build . . . very interested.

Cheers

Fen
Old July 5, 2013, 04:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Fenny View Post
Looks like a great concept . . . the hardware is laid out in a nice symmetric configuration and will add nicely to the aesthetics. Are you planning on any LED lighting? Are you going with clear acrylic for the top or a coloured acrylic?

Looking forward to seeing this unfold. My desk is a rickety old IKEA thing (taken apart once . . . never together properly again). I was thinking about doing a desk to match my current build theme but I don't think my wife would appreciate a desk that looked like a dug in defensive position on some FOB in our downstairs guest room . . . oh well guess rickety and IKEA will have to do.

Cheers and keep the pics coming as you build . . . very interested.

Cheers

Fen
Thanks man. I must have put around 20 hrs into this or more. Losing my mind as time goes.

I am planning on using soft white and red LED and clear 5mm thick acrylic for the top. It will be some work but I hope I can pull it off. I just have to make sure that I have all tools and no distraction whatsoever. Time will tell how it turns out.

Give it a try and she might enjoy it too. This one is also an ikea desk but the old time ikea stuff when they used to have solid wood furniture. It's pretty looking desk. Will post pics before I take it apart and go to work on it.
Old July 5, 2013, 10:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

My suggestion is to make sure that you have quite a bit more air going in than out, and use dust filters on the incoming fans. This will ensure you keep the dust levels to a minimum and ensure a nice clean system to look at!
Old July 5, 2013, 02:19 PM
Rookie

Plans look good, love desk builds i'll be tuning in.
Old July 6, 2013, 01:07 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyea View Post
My suggestion is to make sure that you have quite a bit more air going in than out, and use dust filters on the incoming fans. This will ensure you keep the dust levels to a minimum and ensure a nice clean system to look at!
Thanks man. I have 6 intake fans and they're all going to be filtered and I made a mistake labelling the as 120 mm because they're going to be 140 mm intakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitus77 View Post
Plans look good, love desk builds i'll be tuning in.
Thanks man. I might make a few changes and I'll keep the photos coming. Just have to grab me a mirror less camera.