Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2014, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect

So here is a quick video update of the project. I have been working behind the scenes but have not uploaded the photo just yet. Till then enjoy the video.

Umbra Aqua- Mac Pro Mod- Video Update #3
Old January 3, 2014, 03:52 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice video. I like how this build is turning out.
Old January 9, 2014, 08:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Great job repurposing that case
Old January 12, 2014, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

Here is a massive update. There had been some work done last couple of months but I have not had to time to upload the pictures and update the work log till now.

Rear I/O Panel

I had finish mounting the rear I/O. I marked where I needed to cut then started cutting. I then placed the rear I/O on and had to make a few more cuts to fit the original fan duct.

Mounting Rear Fan

To mount the 120 mm fan to the rear I used the original Mac Pro fan duct. I lined up where I wanted the fan to sit then used a wire fan grill to mark the holes. I used 4 rubber grommets and heavy duty fan screws to mount the fan. The end result is a fan mounted from the back side making it look really stealthy.

Rad / Fan Shroud

I went back to work on the rad shroud. I first started by sanding down the edge which was not flat yet. Then I traced the two ends of the shroud on acrylic. I cut the two pieces out and tried to get them as close to perfect as I could for now. I then made a jig to hold all three pieces together while I fused them together. After letting it cure for a few days I then sanded the end piece down til it was seamless to the touch.

I have started sleeving the wires. I used neon green sleeving with UV green connectors.

What I am hoping to be the last order arrived. Package contained, Gental Typhoon high speed fans, R9 290 water block, 90 degree fittings and some wiring stuff to hide the cables.

Old January 17, 2014, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect

Default 55 and counting

Couple more weeks hopefully

Last edited by marquee; January 20, 2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old January 25, 2014, 09:31 AM
Top Prospect

Default wire hiding and painting

I wanted to have a brushed aluminum look to the front panel. So I sanded the back side with 220 grit and painted it silver. I sanded the front to 800, starting at 80 and working my way up.Then I sprayed the front will clear coat. By doing this I was trying to achieve and deeper brushed look.

There is not allot of room in this case to hide wires, so most of the wires need to go in before the system does so i can route them behind things. I used the original SATA connectors mounts for tide downs. Also drilled small holes to pass the wires through for the fans and re-attached the connectors back on.

Here is what the front Rad and mount look like after some paint.