Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2013, 12:46 AM
Top Prospect

update to second post

Back to work

Here it is all cleaned up after modding. Added some poor man's u-channel (Electrical tape).

The H220 ready to be drained.

7950 ready to have it's heatsink removed.

I spent a lot of time debating whether I should go with a universal block or a full block. The 7950 core supports full blocks, but I was already spending so much money on watercooling. Universal would be cheaper and could follow me to future builds. So I reluctantly went with the EK-VGA Supremacy Bridge Edition.

Impediment #1: Well, after taking the card apart I realized that I forgot to order the copper shim adapter for the universal GPU block. Well, crap. Paying $10 shipping for a $5 copper shim seems wasteful to me. I've emailed Daz about exchanging the Supremacy for a full cover block. Fine. Can't complete the loop this weekend, but no sense worrying about that now.

H220 block mounted.

Fits pretty well, looks pretty nice too. Can't help feeling I forgot something though. Oh no....

RAGE!!!!!!!

Calmed down and re-pasted.

Back in the case. Done for the night.

End of Day 2

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware

Last edited by mojojj; March 24, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

update to third post.

Day 3

Not much happening today unfortunately. I can't really continue without the GPU block situation sorted out. I've talked to Daz and placed an order for a full-cover block. Also took the opportunity to grab and extra 120mm radiator for the centre area. Haha, and here I thought I could get away with not spending more money.

Most I can do is fit the radiators and some of the cables. It's going to be like this for a few days.

Bonus picture. Someone was tired of not being the centre of attention for the weekend.

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware
Old March 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Whoa.... Major Deja Vu
Old March 26, 2013, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am really in love with that Swiftech H220 block. It has to be the most perfect solution to SFF water cooling having the pump located on the block while still maintaining its aesthetics.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Old March 26, 2013, 03:32 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Really nice work so far. I think that thing is gonna be killer when you're done.
Old March 27, 2013, 02:08 PM
Trial Member

Out of curiousity, which full cover gpu block did you get? Im looking to watercool the same card
Old March 28, 2013, 12:17 PM
Top Prospect

Update for you guys. I got my shipment from Daz in the other day and started working again. I've got pics, but haven't posted them yet. I've run into a problem though, I'm having the hardest time bleeding my loop. =(

I posted on OCN (Swiftech H220 Owners' Club) regarding my pump. It seems like it just kept sucking air, and I was scared I damaged it.

H220 pump noise - YouTube

Swiftech says it's a problem with my loop design, so I've have to diassemble and re-think the loop. Here's what I had originally planned out.

In the above picture, the GPU is connected to the inlet port of the H220 pump. My thoughts were that the yellow fill tube would provide enough water to the H220 to keep the inlet tube full. For the most part it did, the inlet tube was never out of water. However the pump still continued to suck air and I didn't know why. Swiftech said that there was probably a big air pocket trapped in the pump that refused to come out. I spent almost 5 hours bleeding the loop and the problem still persisted.

The new setup now has the top rad going directly into the inlet of the pump. Problem is that my fill port is still on the graphics card (the yellow tube). It definitely doesn't look as nice, there are tubes cross all over the place. It's a little easier to fill, but I'm still in the process of bleeding.

Any suggestions on what else I can do? I was thinking that I should at a T-Block between the top rad and pump inlet and use that to fill / bleed instead.

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware

Last edited by mojojj; March 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old March 28, 2013, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhero91 View Post
Out of curiousity, which full cover gpu block did you get? Im looking to watercool the same card
I got the http://www.dazmode.com/store/product...950_-_plexi_en. It was the last one in stock at Daz's

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware
Old March 28, 2013, 12:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

filling loop is a lot easier with a proper res... and on the h220 that rez is part of the rad right?
would you be able to knock out a hole on the roof and use the rad/rez fill hole?
then run a line from the rad to the pump inlet?
get some gravity working in your favor... :)

dope... my bad, you're not using the swiftec rad are you... lolz.

Last edited by Bungwirez; March 28, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:30 PM
Top Prospect

Days 5-8

^ Another shipment from Daz, props to him for the excellent service and shipping. I had ordered the wrong full gpu block and he called me after viewing this build log. Definitely saved me a ton of trouble. This one containing the EK-7950 Full Cover block, an EK 120mm rad, and a Slim fan. Why the slim fan?

^ Because of the angled fan bracket. The edges are "lifted", which prevents the rad from sitting flush against it. Rather than have to dremel the bracket, I used the slim fan as a spacer. This allowed the rad to clear the edge. And it cools the rad as well. Win Win!

^ Here's a test mounting of the angled fan bracket with the rad installed.

^ And here's the EK-7950 block mounted. Fits like a glove.

^ Progress pic, starting to put things together.

^ Progress pic #2

^ Side view

^ And we're done! Overall pretty smooth...

... or so I thought

Log continues here ...
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...tml#post699481

RFD Trader Feedback
My Heatware

Last edited by mojojj; March 28, 2013 at 09:24 PM.