Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2013, 04:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Mini-Box M350 case build

My work environment has a need for a computer with a very small footprint. I have built ATX size computers using Coolermaster cases, and recently a micro ATX using the Silverstone SG02 case. Also, I have built some mini-ITX computers using Silverstone SG05 and SG06 cases and I like them very much, but I wanted to try something smaller. Perineum suggested in this thread

Has anyone build an "all in one" style computer?

this little beauty which will hang onto the back of the monitor via some VESA screws.
M350 Enclosure WITH PICOPSU-150-XT and 150W Adapter KIT

Small cases present many challenges and I thought I would document some of my observations. First off this is the case lid and my hand. The thing is not much bigger than the ITX board.

I have preferrence for Gigabyte boards as I have found them to be very similiar, straight forward, and boot right up out of the box. One of my first observations is when you get this set up with the power adapter kit it puts the wires toward the outside and I think this may interfere with the case closing. I am too far in to back out now but I pulled up an Intel BOXDH77DF board and their power connector puts the wires toward the inside of the case. I'll let you know later if this is a problem for me. Here's a picture of the power adapter connected to the motherboard's 24 pin connector.

Currently loading windows so it will be awhile before it is all put together. I am doing this all outside the case because there is no room for a DVD drive and I am waiting to get a 40 mm fan to put in the back of the case. Once the MB is in I would not be able to get the screws into the fan so I have to do that first. Hopefully the fan will arrive before the weekend.

This build is using the following components at a cost of about $825:
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Core i3-3225 3.3GHz HD Graphics 4000
GIGABYTE GA-Z77N-WIFI LGA HDMI SATA USB 3.0 Mini ITX
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB 1600 (PC3 12800) F3-1600C10Q-32GAO
M350 Din Version Enclosure with picoPSU-150-XT and 150W adapter kit
Logitech MK120 USB wired combo
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
ASUS VH232H Glossy Black 23" 5ms Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Backlit LCD Monitor w/Speakers & HDMI
HDMI cable
VESA screws
Top Motor 40x40x10mm Case Fans
Rosewill RCX-Z775-LP 80mm Sleeve Low Profile CPU Cooler

Other notes are: you will need a low profile CPU cooler as the stock one won't work in this case. This motherboard has built in WiFi but I have no plans to use it. This case has absolutely no room for anything other than one 2.5 inch drive. As these are mainly work stations for me a 120 GB SSD is fine. Other users might need something bigger. I also do not need a sound system so I got a monitor with speakers and use the HDMI to pipe sound to it for the occasional youtube video or whatever.
Attached Images

Last edited by bonanza2000; February 12, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

looks good... will be doing this in the near future..... which is why I pointed out the mini-itx box anyway
Old February 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
looks good... will be doing this in the near future..... which is why I pointed out the mini-itx box anyway
What motherboard are you planning on using? Take a look at the 24 pin power connector on it and make sure it has a ridge where the connector latches on that faces toward the center of the motherboard.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
Allstar

intel NUC?
Old February 13, 2013, 04:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
intel NUC?
I didn't know what that was but looked and it looks even smaller. Very interesting as well. Too late for me but maybe perineum can use them

Intel® Desktop Boards ? Next Unit of Computing (NUC)
Old February 14, 2013, 06:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Completed build

Well the next problem I had was the power switch wires did not reach from the front panel to the motherboard so I had to canibalize some wires from derilect computer.

I had a concern that the case would not close with the provided PSU 24 pin power supply connector facing outwards toward the case. I managed to get it closed.

Getting the hard drive connectors and their associated wires was challenging but eventually it all went in.

The only other problem was the front panel was a pain in the butt to snap back on. It required some fiddling to get it to snap on. Overall I am happy with the build. It has a small foot print and is something I can upgrade or not as needed without being tied to some proprietary products.

Thanks for everyone's help and input!

Here's some pics:
Attached Images

Old February 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

neato. just mounts easy on Vesa?
Old February 15, 2013, 11:33 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes mounts easy with vesa screws. Costs $2 from their web site. Their $4 fans are noisy so next build I will try without it. Current cpu temps around 40 to 43 with rosewell low profile cpu cooler
Old February 15, 2013, 04:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Very cool build.
Nicely done!