Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Dora the Explorer bet she has 9 lives.
Jake and the never land pirates, those A holes cost me more computer down time then BSOD or forum trolls that force me to walk away instead of reaming into them.

looks like this build should see like or at least its premature birth next week :P haha.

It will be lots of fun and a good use of tons of my gear :D

If you need me the link above is where I spend my days now
Old February 9, 2013, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

SketchUp has a bunch of user-based models that have already been drawn. Like 120mm fans, 5.25" DVD drives, 3.5" HDDs, ATX motherboards, etc.

Makes designing cases much easier I'd say, and it's why most people use it.

For example, Mountain Mods ATX Motherboard Tray by Ric2L - 3D Warehouse That's a readily available part that would be easy to incorporate into your own design.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Per your initial dims and specs:

Couple of issues: weight already stands at 41 Lbs... Steel L extrusions, front + doube Al. side panels.

The triple fans that fit are 200mm, not 230mm. Moreover, if you want triple fans on the side panels, those wont fit - they'll foul into the front fans. And lastly the spacing will need to be tighter since the end fans are too close to the vertical extrusions.

Also, the side blue extrusions will need cut-outs at their ends before being welded to match the front and back extrusions.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is coming along great thanks again, think the middle pays for the 5.25" need a small gap of about 1/2" between them to mount the bays right within there

Old February 11, 2013, 08:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you want to weld both 5.25" cages to the front panel, you'll have a hard time welding in a 0.5" gap. Needs to be more (1", and then some), or you weld both cages together first, then you weld the assembly to the front panel.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If you want to weld both 5.25" cages to the front panel, you'll have a hard time welding in a 0.5" gap. Needs to be more (1", and then some), or you weld both cages together first, then you weld the assembly to the front panel.
See this is why I'm taking your advice with the build thats a great point stay the course it is :) and weld those mofos together

Old February 12, 2013, 12:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Very simple actually.. you just weld them from the front. They don't need to be fully welded anyway so a few 1" tacs will be plenty of support.
This of course depends on the type of welding. arc is the best for getting into tight spots as you don't have the gas nozzel in the way and you can bend the rod to get the correct angle to weld from.

That is of course if your bothered about them being fully welded. there will be more than enough strength in 3 x 1" welds top and bottom to hold your drives / res / whatever.
Actually this will probably be better anyway as you want the thinnest possible metal and too much heat isn't good for it.

(Jack of all trades master of none, have worked in everything from fast food and cleaning to enterprise IT, roady for a band, photography, pipe cleaner (basically) for large pharmaceutical companies and construction, specifically as a metal fabricator. :P )

May I also suggest smaller windows. personal preference but a window that shows the drive bays/hdd cage isn't great.
That it unless your going to have a fancy res to have in-front of them.

Last edited by Dzzope; February 12, 2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Welding from the front will change the edge of the opening from a sharp one to a rounded one. It's only a matter of aesthetics, but I do agree with your explanation.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes, but considering how thin the metal is anyway you'll have some if welding from the back anyway..

As I said top and bottom would be strong enough and mean you can weld from the back too.
Old February 12, 2013, 05:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Update. 24" sides, 140mm fans, dual 230s on the bottom.
I'll create the board planes tomorrow, but it will be tight to locate them both at an angle with both upper PSU cut-outs.

Again, locating triple triple 140mm rads on the bottom will be interesting. The rad corners will be too close, and the front 230mm fan housing will be in the way.