Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2013, 10:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Getting there. All that's left is top panel wiring and then I can leave this build alone. Until I get the itch for more GFX card OOMPH. Yes that's another 120mm rad in a peculiar spot. XSPC RX120 to be exact. I took inspiration from another Colossus build I'd seen which had a rad in the same location. Possibly a pointless addition but I'm happy with it.
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2013, 10:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Excellent
Way to max out the useable space
Old June 22, 2013, 05:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Speaking of space, I just crammed my fifth and final radiator into this rig. HWL 120mm Black Ice GT GEN2 Stealth, nice and glossy black. In order to fit this radiator into the case I had to relocate my pump so it would sit higher. This involved ripping out the hard disks and the XSPC radiator but it was worth it. Also fixed up the connection going from the Phobya 280 to the Alphacool Monsta 120.

The black ice GT was the most suited radiator as it's about 30mm or so. I wanted to do push pull on the fans but it wasn't in the cards as I would have to relocate the pump and res up higher than I'd like. I settled on Scythe slim fans at 12mm in length. I have only one scythe slim mounted as an intake as it made the new pump/res clearance. I realized I could've used the second one in a very awkward push pull setup on the XSPC but by then it was too late. Ok nuff yappin. Picture time.
Attached Images

Old June 29, 2013, 01:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Forgot to mention I had to flip the PSU to make cabling clearance for the bottom mounted Radiator.

This "mod" is my first attempt with a dremel. I did it a few months back around the same time I had a stubborn rad screw that needed cutting.

If you own an older version of the Bitfenix Colossus there is a pain-in-the-ass screw hole which attaches the roof panel to the top of the chassis. It's really hard to access. When you have a radiator mounted in there - even more so. So I made this cut which you can't see once the side panel is on. It's look like shit, but the name of the game in this scenario was strictly functionality.

I used painters tape and printer paper to mask off the bits of the case I didn't want stray metal bits to fly into. A little cavalier in performing this cut with hardware mounted in the case. But nothing went awry.
Attached Images

Old June 29, 2013, 02:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Thats the way Astaroth if its in the way

cut and mod to make it work
Old June 29, 2013, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Looks great . . . that is a lot of rads

Cheers

Fen
Old July 5, 2013, 01:48 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
What can I say, I'm a miracle worker. You will have to source your own drive, but "samsung slim blu-ray" on ebay should do the trick:
Newegg.ca - SYBA SY-MRA55005 Multipurpose 5.25" Bay Adapter for Slim Optical Drive and 2.5" SATA I / II / III

Thanks Fuzzy. My X79 experience hasn't been the smoothest, but I regret nothing.
I'd be all over this thing if my computers still had 5.25 inch bays in them. Great build!
Old July 6, 2013, 02:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the comment guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeThruHead View Post
I'd be all over this thing if my computers still had 5.25 inch bays in them. Great build!
Useful for optical media games I still have kicking around. Mostly ones I can't be bothered to repurchase on GOG. If I really needed bluray I can use PS3. Front USB3 are nice though. Other than that I'm lusting after a 4 bay 2.5 inch drive 5.25 bay unit. Could fit a RAID unit, get rid of my 3.5 inch drives and shove in another radiator instead. Holding off on it though. Funds are there just need to learn to say no
Old December 6, 2013, 12:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well here's a very quick 'n shitty picture after putting in my 670's. These little buggers kick. Suddenly there's is so much empty space in my case. Small PCB will do that.

I was able to clean the tubing up too. Not nearly as artsy as it was previously, but definitely optimized. Now that I've leak free uptime, it's clean up time when motivation strikes. PCIE cables are so awkward with the shorter PCB in this case. Must get creative.
Attached Images

Old July 11, 2014, 07:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Update time. Perpetually unfinished :) . Recently I put in my Bitfenix Fury 750, Quality is top notch. Only criticism - 24pin braiding seemed a bit sloppy and some individual cables seemed ever so slightly longer than others. Nothing I can't live with and not noticeable once it's smashed in there. Might tickle the real OCD enthusiast.

Aside from that I drained my loop and redid the connection going from the chipset to my GPUs. The first 40mm adapter going into the chipset did not have it's O-ring pre-attached so I had a nice leak. Luckily the O-ring was in the package so after some draining, drying and swearing I got that sorted. Always check the O-rings on your fittings!

Next addition was adding parallel 4 slot space XSPC SLI connectors. I wanted to run my SLI setup with both cards in 16x lanes so I had to move my bottom card to the last slot on the motherboard.

Last modification in this tear down was replacing my 120 EK rad with a 140 30mm thick Alphacool radiator. With the thinner radiator I went for a push / pull setup with 140mm Cougar turbine hyper spin fans. Still got some air in the loop, need to put the SLI bridge back and have some rogue cables to sort out.

In other modifications made back in March, I ripped out the 120mm HWlabs black ice stealth and replaced it with just a 140mm Cougar Turbine Hyper Spin. Then I went to town with my dremel and removed a hard drive cage bracket so I could fit two AlphaCool 120 monsta rads upfront with 120 cougar turbines fans. With the remaining room I crammed a 2x 2.5 inch hotswap swap bay for SSD's, relocated my 3.5 mechanical HDD to a NAS. (I have more fun modding than I do photographing and documenting it all).

Enough babble, babble, you already scrolled through all that to take a gander of the photo anyway:
Attached Images