Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > Case Mods, Worklog & Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2013, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Re-cover my desk?

I want to re-surface my desk with a durable paint or vinyl etc. veneer. Can anyone here suggest a good scratch proof material I can buy? Either a good glossy paint,or a good synthetic material that doesn't require an engineer to do it. Anyone? Thanks guys.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 24, 2013, 08:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Formica, which is used on kitchen countertops.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:56 AM
Allstar

Agreed. The materials used for counter tops are some of the toughest stuff out there. Doing the edges can be difficult if you don't do the clamping right while the glue sets. These are usually installed with contact cement so measure and fit twice before applying glue :)
Old January 24, 2013, 02:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Formica is not an easy thing to do without proper tools etc. I'm looking for a hard glossy paint,or easy to use veneer. Something like a peel and stick material,if there is such a thing. All help appreciated.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old January 24, 2013, 04:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

What about something like this? Apply a Decorative and Epoxy Countertop Coating | Home Depot Canada
Old January 24, 2013, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ex auto body mechanic friend of mine took an old dresser of ours and rebuilt + refinished it with cherry red car paint. I believe it is acrylic enamel and it is bloody awesome how durable a finish it is.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'll turn my cheap Ikea desk top and turn it into something nice.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No tools huh? Epoxy coat as suggested, or marine enamel. You'll have to do it outside though, it stinks too much to do inside.

Formica is pretty easy to do on a desk or countertop if you have a router, though. And by router, I mean the hand tool type with a motor, not an internet device. Cut to slightly over size, contact cement down, and use a chamfer bit to finish the edge.
Old January 24, 2013, 10:02 PM
Top Prospect

why not just use lacquer or varnish that will give it a thicker clear coat?
Old January 28, 2013, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I found a peel and stick flooring material on line. They appear to be paper thin,and have been installed in restaurants. Obviously able to withstand very heavy traffic. Anyone here have any knowledge of this type of material? Do they really come as thin as they appear? If so,I think it would be PERFECT for my desk,and very easy to install. I would really appreciate any input regarding this type of flooring material. Maybe something even better? Thanks all.